Lossiemouth Buccaneer

I have been building RAF grey / green jets for a while now and one kits continually eluded me.  The Airfix Buccaneer.  The kit is getting on & has been out of production for some time.  I has a reputation for warped body parts and poor fit - a banana kit to got with the Buccaneer nickname of the Banana jet.  I finally got a decent condition kit from eBay and then promptly added it to the stash and left it.  Finally dug it out a few weeks ago and got started.  

The cockpit was a bit bare so added the Airwaves etch but stuck with the kit seats.  Other than that I decided to light her up, adding wing tip navigation lights, tail light, nose wheel taxi light and top & bottom flashing anti collision lights.  I left the bomb bay removable with ‘penny’ 3v lithium batteries and switches inside.  The ladder is a very fine 3D print from eBay.

She is finished as XW530 of 12 Sqn RAF Lossiemouth.  She has the later short wingtips, so dates from around 88 to 92 although I am sure others can be more accurate on that.  If I am honest I wanted to do a Honnington jet, but couldn’t seem to find the right decals.  I live not that far from Honnington and sometimes see the last remaining Bucc there on gate guard duties.

Anyway, here she is

enVo4oy.jpg

And here she is in the HAS

DERBxfF.jpg

rjKZxRH.jpg

VRtCKlB.jpg

And with lights on

SmitCHg.jpg

eMbqsH1.jpg

jQ2WNP7.jpg

acY7Y47.jpg

18p3bk1.jpg

RKT6vBA.jpg

How she looks

32l6wJ9.jpg

CReA3Q3.jpg

M3ZRLMT.jpg

VIjZUMo.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 64

Brilliant looking Bucc!

Love the nighttime shots of it with your HAS. Would look even better on our club table in Bury St Edmunds if you're not too far away near Honington! Especially with our lights out! 😉 That gate guard at Honington still doesn't look too bad either!

Martin

• Like 1

Brilliant Brick! Love that in the diorama too, very realistic. I made exactly the same aircraft, XW530 though I used the longer wingtips and underwing serials so probably from the mid-80s. Didn’t turn out as tidy as yours though.

I’m looking forward to Airfix bringing out an RAF version of their new tool Bucc.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Brilliant looking Bucc!

Love the nighttime shots of it with your HAS. Would look even better on our club table in Bury St Edmunds if you're not too far away near Honington! Especially with our lights out! 😉 That gate guard at Honington still doesn't look too bad either!

Martin

Just down the road in Stow.  You will have to let me know details on the club.  The HAS & bits haven’t left home before & they are not small!

11 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

A lovely build that is, I like the lights as well..

A job well done and especially given the age of the kit!

cheers, Jan

Cheers Jan!

9 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Brilliant Brick! Love that in the diorama too, very realistic. I made exactly the same aircraft, XW530 though I used the longer wingtips and underwing serials so probably from the mid-80s. Didn’t turn out as tidy as yours though.

I’m looking forward to Airfix bringing out an RAF version of their new tool Bucc.

I seem to remember it looking pretty tidy.  Would have done a Honnington jet with large under wing serials and the outline letter large tail codes but I couldn’t see any aftermarket available.  Maybe with the new Airfix release?

• Like 1

Just now, 112 Squadron said:

Excellent built and a nice diorama. I also like the Tornado in the background.

Cheers.  That’s a very old ESCI GR1.  Not the finest. Must backdate a Revell GR4 and do another one at some point 

6 hours ago, billn53 said:

Great job. I've been looking into adding lights to a future build. Did you use LEDs everywhere, or perhaps some fiber-optics as well?

Cheers.  They are all micro leds which are tiny.  And the anti collision lights have built in flashing function

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Marcello Rosa said:

You got a great result here. Inhale one in the stash but keep postponing given the bad reputation with fuselage warping. How did you find that part of the build? And how did you overcome the fit issues?

Fit in mine wasn’t as bad as I have seen.  However blending in the intakes & exhausts takes quite a bit of time & filler.  The seam down the side of the cockpit & nose isn’t too great either.  So takes a bit of time & effort but not the worst I have ever built.  Try a Lindbergh F8!

What a wonderful build and you have certainly taken the term dioramas to a whole new level in my very naive understanding !! I’ve always adored the Bucaneer - being one of my first builds as a kid in the mid eighties - that was a 1:72 airfix and I loved it (even though it was almost certainly a glue bomb!!)

I followed that up with a birthday blowout at Beaties in Brighton spending all my money on a Victor In 1:72 (after seeing them performing in the Falklands) which from memory was around £20 quid in the mid eighties ! And way beyond my 10 year old abilities.

It put me off I think, and I moved into citadel miniatures after that.

one day I must build it again - but a Buc is definitely one to be done - the new airfix tool looks lovely and I quite fancy doing it in the livery I recently saw at RAF Hendon ‘Guiness Girl’ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vapouriser said:

What a wonderful build and you have certainly taken the term dioramas to a whole new level in my very naive understanding !! I’ve always adored the Bucaneer - being one of my first builds as a kid in the mid eighties - that was a 1:72 airfix and I loved it (even though it was almost certainly a glue bomb!!)

I followed that up with a birthday blowout at Beaties in Brighton spending all my money on a Victor In 1:72 (after seeing them performing in the Falklands) which from memory was around £20 quid in the mid eighties ! And way beyond my 10 year old abilities.

one day I must build it again - but a Buc is definitely one to be done - the new airfix tool looks lovely and I quite fancy doing it in the livery I recently saw at RAF Hendon ‘Guiness Girl’ 

Arrrhhh Beauties happy memories....   Spent many an hour in the one in Liverpool back in the day..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hairtrigger said:

Arrrhhh Beauties happy memories....   Spent many an hour in the one in Liverpool back in the day..

Up there in the Pantheon with Hamleys London - a veritable treasure trove for young eyes and minds !!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vapouriser said:

Thanks.  I have the remains of a couple of 1/72 dark sea grey & white with a gold rad dome in the Airfix Buccs in the loft somewhere.  I think I got one of my first 1/48 kits from Beatties not long before they closed - an Airfix Canberra PR.9.  Always a good place to go when I was a kid.  After the Falklands I had a Matchbox Victor K2 in grey / green over white, refuelling an Airfix RAF Hercules with hurriedly scratch built refuelling probe added, flying across my bedroom ceiling.