Clear coats over water-based acrylic

Hairy Stickler

Afternoon All,

Having been back in the hobby for a little while now, I'm fairly happy with the brave world of multiple glues, fillers,  tools,  paints (I'm a brush painter), etc. Where I am struggling is clear coats. I feel that I am reliant on rattle cans and am not entirely happy with anything that I have tried (Mr Hobby, Revell, Humbrol and Plasticote). I  am just about to give AK acrylic matt a go to see how that works.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I paint in water-based acrylic (AK, Hataka Blue Line) and would be particularly interested to hear from any brush painters who are probably now all shouting "why don't you just brush XYZ on"!

All the best 

Peter 

I've moved this for you Peter, as although you might be building a WWII aircraft, it's a paint issue, so belongs where it is now :yes:

I can't help with your problem though, as I'm an airbrusher.  Gunze's Flat is excellent from my point of view, but it might not be much help to you.  I do have a bottle of Coat by Stuart Semple that I've been meaning to try out.  It's supposed to a good flat coat.  I need to find something disposable and glossy. :hmmm:

• Thanks 1

I'm an airbrusher but I brush paint a gloss varnish (Future / Klear) in preparation for decals. I use a wide, flat brush for that and I don't use an airbrush as I hate cleaning it afterwards. It's transparent you see. Or not. 😂

For the final varnish I use xtracrylix (usually satin) which I airbrush on but the container states it can be applied by brush.

Hopefully helpful

Mark

I brush on Xtracrlyix Gloss Varnish on, before that I used Revell Aqua as I got that locally but now bulk order the XA when the large pots eventually run out. For Matt I use Winsor and Newton Matt that I order a big half a litre pot at a time 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Managed to have a quick test of the matt varnish I was wittering about.  Coat by Stuart Semple.  I brushed it on for a change, and after 3 coats it looked like this:

spacer.png

A goopy few layers of Klear were laid down first, then on the right I applied the layers of Coat to the right half.  Gives a good finish, and I'm quite looking forward to putting it through my airbrush next :)