Colourful Sabre

Hi all,

My third completion of the year so far is the Academy F86-30 Sabre of 39 FIS/51 FIW. This Is Capt. Charles McSwain’s machine based at Suwon (K13) in 1953 and was option one on the kit’s decal sheet. I wanted to build this one as it is just so colourful, with fantastic nose art on the port side. Also I thought it would be a good way to get over my fear of natural metal finishes. I’ve never built one before and I really want to build the B47 I have in my stash so I need some practice!

This was mostly built from the box, the only additions being some PE which added cockpit details and replaced the seat. I used Vallejo Metal colours (steel, Alu, white alu, dark alu and silver) for various panels on the airframe then weathered with clay washes and oils to try to replicate the duller finish visible in the colour pictures in Ospreys Front Line Colour No2. All in it was a reasonably straight forward build with only a few small fit issues. The decals however were a different story. The carrier film was a bit resistant to Sol and Set needing work to settle down nicely. The yellow tactical bands were a total fail being brittle, poor fit and refusing to conform. I ended up masking and painting the yellow and black bands instead. I also painted the checker boards on the tail as well.

Other than that you can judge the results for yourself. Feel free to comment and give tips, as I said this was my first nmf so it’s not perfect and next time I would spend a bit more time on the prep as there are a few areas where I can see some faint scratches.

Happy modelling.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Nice build of a lovely looking aircraft. Such a vintage look to it in my opinion. Did the airfix one many moons ago in 1/72 and it was such a forgiving build. Your build looks like it might have been a little more taxing and has turned out great.

• 2 weeks later...