XF-108 Rapier ++FINISHED++

IanHx

2 hours ago, IanHx said:

Scratching my head at the moment -  CA alone doesn't appear to be doing the job holding those heavy wings in place.

Some form of dowels may be required... will see what its like after 24 hrs of drying.

If it were me Id use brass pins as long as you dare make them. Or even better drill straight through the fuselage and use brass spars. Ive done that on plastic builds with butt joints. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If it were me Id use brass pins as long as you dare make them. Or even better drill straight through the fuselage and use brass spars. Ive done that on plastic builds with butt joints. 

Was thinking along those lines -  drill tiny holes into fuselage & wings, insert some kind of pins (haven't got brass rod, thinking the metal tube on the old glue bottles) , cross fingers.....

• Like 2

Well the good news is the CA is finally holding, so as long as I keep it out of direct sunlight and never feed it after midnight  wave it around by the wing, should be ok.

As for the tail.... spend ages enlarging the hole in the top surface for the locator tab to slot into, then the darn thing shears off....:doh:

Thats enough for one day !

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

What a monster the F-108 would have been, would definitely have not looked out of place in a Gerry Anderson TV show 😉

Lovelu build by the way, you seem to be taming the beast.

Getting there.....

Next hurdle on the horizon is the landing gear.

This large lump of resin is HEAVY -  not sure the simple stalk legs are going to hold up.

Think I'll hold off cutting up the gear bay doors until I see how it holds up - may yet end up

being a gears-up build....

• Like 1

well, its standing on its legs and its not (yet) a tail-sitter....  score that one as a small win.

Onto the next battle... boy does this thing not like Humbrol enamel !

First coat of white paint has left what can only be described as a  "stretch mark" paint job !

Hoping coats 2-4 will cover up my ineptitude with a hairy stick....

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 2

Opened a tin of Humbrol 130 and slathered it on....  what's this ?  Why is my model a disgusting dark browny beige colour ?

A quick trip to Hobbycraft and a few tins of something I've never heard of before -  "Revell Email Color" SM304 -  and it's properly

NASA white again.  Now where did I put my sunglasses ?  :)

• Haha 3

Just did a catch up. Gosh, more warp than James T Kirk. But look at it now! A thing of beauty. Twin fins wouldn't look out of place.

Yes, Gerry Anderson territory too. What a beast!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

She looks a bit to me as if someone tried to turn a Vigilante into an interceptor.

🇺🇦

Apparently this and the Vigilante were designed at the same time, and there was fair bit of information exchange between the 2 teams at North American Aviation....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Looking good, I bet she took a fair amount of white paint to get like that.

🇺🇦

It's like the Forth rail bridge..  just when you think its done, you see a bit that needs another coat !

• Haha 1