XF-108 Rapier ++FINISHED++

IanHx

This group build seemed like the perfect time to get round to building this one.

Been hankering after one for years, finally bit the bullet a few years ago and bought it, but

hadn't summoned up the courage to try a non-injection kit....  until now.

I mean,

56610968-e1525142663128.jpg

So, the kit - unstarted, still the plastic bag:

DSCF0252

Looks like there aren't too many major pieces....fingers crossed. 

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 12

Welcome to the GB Ian with what I am certain will be a unique entry.

1 hour ago, IanHx said:

Looks like there aren't too many major pieces

It does doesn't it, should be finished within the week then.😁

Joking aside I am very interested to see how this goes together.

🇺🇦

wow fantastic Ian.

This will be super interesting both to see construction and to see one of these completed.

good luck. i think its really cool you share your first resin kit build with us in a gb.

Good luck with this one!

Not to cast any doubt on your skills, but if you need some help with this kit, I got pretty far with it as part of my Mach 3 project here: [edit: skip this link, @Space Ranger's link to @Whirly's thread is way better!]

It's certainly not a walk in the park but a really impressive kit in 1/72! Good luck with the build 👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alan P said:

Good luck with this one!

Not to cast any doubt on your skills, but if you need some help with this kit, I got pretty far with it as part of my Mach 3 project here: [edit: skip this link, @Space Ranger's link to @Whirly's thread is way better!]

It's certainly not a walk in the park but a really impressive kit in 1/72! Good luck with the build 👍

Thanks for the link, that's some impressive painted detail you've done in the cockpit.

Figured the seats were the same ones as used in the XB-70.

The instructions - like the subject - seem to be from the 1950s :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

See here for details on correcting the major flaw in this kit:

Awesome work there.

I'm happy enough to simply end up with something that just looks like an XF-108,

so will likely go down the OOB route rather than repositioning the wheel wells.

Compared with some of the crazy ideas being dreamt up in the 50s, asymmetric landing gear

seems eminantly plausible !

Removed the rear fuselage parts from the wrapping, and its already clear I've got a battle on my hands.

There's some major warpage going on, so much so I first thought it was a gap to slot the wings into !

Wondering if there's some way of softening the resin eg soaking in a bowl of boiling water ?

If not, its going to have to be glued a few cm at a time

https://imgflip.com/i/6jesub

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Spent the last week wondering what to do with the warping, and after some experimentation with the kettle I now have a hint of a shred of a plan !

Going to get the insides of the intakes painted up, maybe paint on some compressor fans.

Then when its ready to seal up, will use steam from the kettle to soften the upper half, splodge CA over the lower bit,

and press firmly together....  once glue holding, maybe bung it in the freezer to set resin firmly.

Fingers crossed....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IanHx said:

Spent the last week wondering what to do with the warping, and after some experimentation with the kettle I now have a hint of a shred of a plan !

Going to get the insides of the intakes painted up, maybe paint on some compressor fans.

Then when its ready to seal up, will use steam from the kettle to soften the upper half, splodge CA over the lower bit,

and press firmly together....  once glue holding, maybe bung it in the freezer to set resin firmly.

Fingers crossed....

sounds like a plan. good luck

Things I have learned today :

1. Humbrol enamels don't dry as quickly on resin as it does on plastic.

2. This kit has more flash than The Justice League

3. This kit was designed by 2 people who spoke different languages !

Take for example the front section  - designed with lugs at the back to slot

into the rear section.   And the rear section, with a flush face where the front section mates.... 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

So what's been going on with this build ?

Here's the warpage I was mentioning earlier....

DSCF0259

Got it glued together. Never before has gluing 2 pieces together felt such an achievement.

And sanding.

Lots and lots of sanding.....

DSCF0262

• Like 8

Two shots of "the office" :

DSCF0284b

DSCF0286

Looks better in real life than the photos.  It's also apparent having looked at pictures on t'web that the panels in the kit look nothing like the real ones, and instead

were probably lifted from a Phantom !

Once again, took the path of least resistance and painted them - won't be able to see them when canopy closed up so no great shakes. 

• Like 5

Scratching my head at the moment -  CA alone doesn't appear to be doing the job holding those heavy wings in place.

Some form of dowels may be required... will see what its like after 24 hrs of drying.

• Sad 3