Italeri Westland Wessex HU5 - Port Pleasant June 8, 1982

Hi all;

Just finished this one a couple of days ago in time for the anniversary of the event it commemorates.

The WIP is here:

...and I am much indebted to all who encouraged and guided me on this one.

The Coles Notes version is I didn't know what I didn't know about the short comings of the kit and several whose expertise and knowledge is far greater than mine helped me produce a much better result than otherwise would have been the case.  I used the Eduard External PE Set, though I must admit that I didn't use all of it.  I thoroughly enjoyed this one and plan another in the not-too-distant future.  The pics...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers.

• Like 48

A enjoyable WIP to follow and your model looks fantastic Mark.  I have been taking notes for my future Wessex builds one using the Italeri 72nd kit , so thank you for sharing fella. 

I do like your paint and weathering with the subtle variations of colour on the fuselage which look very good. 

Great work 

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can only repeat what has already been said.

The subtlety of the paintwork and the weathering makes this a beauty.

Thanks for sharing the build with us it's been a pleasure to sit in.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

Fantastic result Mark, every inch a Wessex.

As you have mentioned the kit has it's shortcomings. I'm building my fifth # Wessex and2 H-34's (same basic moulds) and I'm still finding areas that need attention.

Congratulations.

Colin

• Thanks 1

Thanks gents, kind comments indeed, much appreciated.

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I have been taking notes for my future Wessex builds one using the Italeri 72nd kit , so thank you for sharing fella. 

5 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

As you have mentioned the kit has it's shortcomings. I'm building my fifth # Wessex and2 H-34's (same basic moulds) and I'm still finding areas that need attention.

There is at least one more of these in my future, a Lee-on-Solent HMS Daedalus SAR Wessex in blue and orange/red.  

• Like 1

Dropped in on this a couple of times and I was seriously impressed with your attention to detail and general skills, the end result shows it all off to perfection, well done! Glad you made it in time for anniversary too :D

• Thanks 1

Mark,

Lovely finish and a very entertaining project to follow. I think the weathering perfectly captures the subject, and your attention to detail is second to none. Great work indeed,

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

@Tomjw, @opus999, @Pete Robin, @jackroadkill, @Vulcanicity, and @Dunny,  much obliged, thanks for the kind words.

13 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

Glad you made it in time for anniversary too :D

Just under the wire!  It took a marathon Sunday session to get there!

Cheers.

• Like 1

Absolutely beautiful Wessex, and as others have said the weathering and surface finish are spot on!

I'm retrospectively going through your WIP now!

Terry

• Thanks 1