Recommend a good 1:48 Military Jet !!

Vapouriser

Morning all :) 

Being a good way through my first 1:48 Tamiya kit (F15C) I’ve been bitten by this ‘big’ bug ! So starting to look for my next kit and being very green I’m not sure what goes together nicely and what doesn’t ? 
I’ve only ever built airfix, tamiya and revell before so know little aboutthe plethora of other manufacturers out there and their kit/moulding/instruction quality.

I’m thinking either Flanker or Mig 29 at present but I’d also look at anything from late 70’s on too - Growler and Gripen have caught my eye as well. 

After the Tamiya kit (which for an old mould I have been really impressed with in the main) my main focus is quality mould and  fit and a good (but not insane, I’m still learning!!) level of detail - complete authenticity and accuracy are (at this stage at least) slightly less important to me. 

Top on my list so far are one of the  GWH Mig 29’s (though they seem a pig to find in the shops) or the Meng EA18 Growler. But I’d really appreciate some more experience on what else you guys have built and can recommend looking at :) 

Have a good weekend and Thanks in advance !

• Like 1

Hi!

Great you liked the Tamiya F-15! 

By today's standard thus is definitely  not a great kit anymore though ;)

Whatever, if you want absolute high quality,  Tamiya's F-4 and F-14 fit the bill :)

GWH Flankers as well, but way more complicated.  There MiG-29 is great  but arguably difficult to build.

Nearly all Hasegawa should fit your bill if you liked the F-15, F-104, F-4, Harrier, F-16, ....

The Kinetic F-104 is also great👍 

I personally also like the Revell Rafale and F-15E kit 😀 

Airfix Hunter, or some Hobyboss stuff might also be suitable.

Last but not least the fantastic MuG-21 series  from Eduard!

• Like 2

Thanks for this @exdraken

I know about those two hallowed Tamiya kits - but was hoping to buy something in the 25-50 pound zone and practice a few more skills before moving on to the 🐈‍⬛ 

I LOVE the lines and shape of the F15 as well as the flanker and the Mig 29.

I have a reasonable stash of 1:72 - but since making the bigger scale ( and Acquiring an airbrush) I want to stick with 1:48

I would also embrace upping the build difficulty as the most challenging part of the F15 was the seams !!!
But I don’t want to go trying out a 400m sprint before I can jog round the park !! 

My biggest challenge is I just don’t know which manufacturer’s come up to Tamiya ‘s overall quality (age relevant of course!!)

Of the commonly listed manufacturers available in the UK it appears that I am safe sticking with:

GWH

Meng

Tamiya

Eduard

Airfix (newer moulds)

But don’t really know much about:

Academy

ICM

Kinetic

KittyHawk

Special Hobby

Zvezda 

HobbyBoss

As I hinted at before, at this stage I am looking for Quality, Detail and a sensible parts count !!! 

10 hours ago, Vapouriser said:

As I hinted at before, at this stage I am looking for Quality, Detail and a sensible parts count !!! 

As top notch accuracy is not in your list, I would not rule out Trumpeter and HobbyBoss kits.

usually great fit, nice detail, very buildable, affordable  👌 

Meng is alrrady a bit advanced I would say! ( and rather extensive )

Wich aircraft do you want to build?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, exdraken said:

As top notch accuracy is not in your list, I would not rule out Trumpeter and HobbyBoss kits.

Gmusually great fit, nice detail, very buildable, affordable  👌 

Meng is alrrady a bit advanced I would say! ( and rather extensive )

Wich aircraft do you want to build?

it might sound a rather odd way of looking at this, bu up till now I have built the following:

Mirage Revell

BF109E AF

FW190B AF

Mig 19 AF

A4B AF

the first two were 50p each from our local charity shop (how it all started !!)

The 190B was from Aldi £4.99 and the last two were special buys from Amazon around a tenner each. Basically up until recently I have been trying to spend next to nothing on my guilty pleasure, and I’ve built what has been available and on offer !! 
However, paints and tools have now eclipsed my model spending and I can justify a little more on the models !! 
The F15 was in my stash for a while (I take a long time to build - a few months😂) and I’ve got a while to go on it, but just starting to think about what’s next. 
Annoyingly I have a nice bunch of 1:72 models in my stash - amassed over the last year or so. But I just really like the bigger scale. 

So I am pretty flexible over what I build next. I guess the 1980’s to 2000 ish would be my favoured period. Don’t get too excited about

Lightning/Raptor/Stealth

Would chose:

Flanker or any Su 27 or 35

Mig 29

Rafale 

Viggen

Gripen

Typhoon

Growler

Tornado

Probably makes little sense - but that’s me all over 😂 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vapouriser said:

Would chose

Flanker or any Su 27 or 35 : GWH, medium

Mig 29: GWH, difficult 

Rafale: Revell easy to medium

Viggen: Tarangus, Special Hobby- difficult 

Gripen: Kittyhawk, hard to get, medium

Typhoon, Revell medium

Growler: Hasegawa, Meng, Hobbyboss, medium

Tornado: Revell- difficult

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Flanker or any Su 27 or 35 : GWH, medium

Mig 29: GWH, difficult 

Rafale: Revell easy to medium

Viggen: Tarangus, Special Hobby- difficult 

Gripen: Kittyhawk, hard to get, medium

Typhoon, Revell medium

Growler: Hasegawa, Meng, Hobbyboss, medium

Tornado: Revell- difficult

Wow - thank you for your personal take on these, that’s REALLY informative and helpful !!

Definitely don’t want to take in something of ‘difficult’ status !! I like a gentle challenge rather than a total mission 😂 

out of interest - where would you put the Tamiya F14 and F4 on your scale ? 

I found that GWH Mig 29 fantastic to build,detailed but well engineered,still one of my favorite builds.

Along with the others,I could easily recommend the Tamiya F-14's and F-16's.

I also have a Zuiki Mura F-4 that looks awesome.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vapouriser said:

Out of interest - where would you put the Tamiya F14 and F4 on your scale ? 

Others might say differently  and I did not build any of them.... yet.

But they are said to be nearly foolproof ;)

Only drawback is their high cost... but don't  be mislead.... they are high tech  high detail, high everything! If you do not appreciate, than their price is outrageous  :D

a Revell Rafale, F-15, Typhoon can be bought at a third.   Retail! 

An Academy F4 the same, and a Hobbyboss ' you name it' at half the price....

My suggestion:

Get something decent you like to do at 30€/£/$  ....

and only after that go into high price and or even aftermarket items  ;)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, exdraken said:

My suggestion:

Get something decent you like to do at 30€/£/$  ....

and only after that go into high price and or even aftermarket items  ;)

They sound like wise words indeed, I’d almost talked myself into parting with the cash for the 🐈‍⬛- but for the wrong reasons. 

Has anyone mentioned the 1/48 Acaemy Mig-29 kits yet as am option?

Certainly not as detailed as their more modern rivals (GWK etc) equivalent but they (single/dual) go together very well and bear more than a passing resemblance to the subject. If you must have absolute accuracy then these kits would suffer by comparison, but the are about half the cost and would get to the painting stage without too much of an issue.

For someone starting out these would be a great stepping stone to mastering the painting schemes without spending too much to get into the game,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Pappy said:

Has anyone mentioned the 1/48 Acaemy Mig-29 kits yet as am option?

Hmm... if you have it stashed  yes, but buying new? No... :D

If you recommend the Academy Fulcrum, you could also recommend Revell Monogram  Hornets or  🐈‍⬛ , KP Su-17 and -25s,

All impressive models when finished, but I would not recommend them... as good or easy to build kits!

With effort * that is not justified in my opinion concerning the availability of GWH Fulcrums* it can be turned into something indeed! 

Weapons, cockpit and nozzles are a joke by the way !

On 6/11/2022 at 5:48 PM, drake122 said:

I reckon AMK Mig-31, F-14 and Kfir also build up very nicely.

you are right, the AMK kits also build great!

I have only done 2 Kfirs as of yet, but also have the L-29 Delfin trainer adn MiG-31 waiting! looks faboulous!

Their F-14 has a kind of a bad reputation though!

Their Fouga Magister for sure is a bit over engineered with its alternative transparant parts and metal inlets...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, exdraken said:

Hmm... if you have it stashed  yes, but buying new? No... :D

If you recommend the Academy Fulcrum, you could also recommend Revell Monogram  Hornets or  🐈‍⬛ , KP Su-17 and -25s,

All impressive models when finished, but I would not recommend them... as good or easy to build kits!

With effort * that is not justified in my opinion concerning the availability of GWH Fulcrums* it can be turned into something indeed! 

Weapons, cockpit and nozzles are a joke by the way !

Well I disagree with that assessment.

I feel that the Academy MiG-29 meets the criteria set by Vapouriser in that it is a well produced kit that goes together well and has a reasonable parts count at a modest cost. I have built it and that was my experience. If I were to build another 1/48 MiG-29, I would opt for the AMK kit, but that is because I have built a lot of jet kits and feel comfortable building a more complex kit and want the additional detail level.

Hornets and other cold war jets were not mentioned so I did not include these. All these new kits are quite expensive and although they are quite detailed, and they can go together reasonably well, they also have a very high parts count. Some also feature photoetch (PE) so adding an additional complex aspect to the build. PE is great for replicating fine details but it perhaps may not be what Vapouriser wanted vis a simple build. The Tamiya F-4 and F-14 already mentioned have a good reputation for easy buildability (as you stated you have not actually built these kits) and this comes at a price. Personally, I feel this is justified as it makes for a painless build experience but expensive does not always equate to an easy build.

I think it is very easy to start adding our personal bias when someone asks for advice, especially so when someone asks what is the 'best' kit without supplying any criteria that defines 'best' to them. In this case, Vapouriser has been very clear in that he is not an experienced jet builder and that his criteria were for quality, and ease of build at a reasonable price and reasonable parts count. Absolute accuracy was not the guiding factor. The current state of the art kits may be the most accurate ('best') but they do not necessarily meet the criteria set by the original poster which we should be keeping in mind.

Kit reviews are handy to let you know what comes in the box and what the details look like but unless they are build reviews, they won't tell you how well (or otherwise) the kit fits together.

I don't know if this has already been mentioned but have a look on scalemates (www etc.) as not only will this tell you about the kit genealogy i.e is it a new mould or a re-box from another manufacturer. Typically they also include a scan of the kit instructions and also any available aftermarket as well as links to a review and some builds. You can also search by subject i.e. "Typhoon" to see what is available in kit form. That would be the first place that I would look

For the other kits on your list:

• The Revell Tornado is the most accurate, but it does have some complex assembly sequences, certainly not as easy as the Tamiya kit. The other option would be the Italeri kit. Old, inaccurate by comparison but with a lower parts count. A much simpler build. I would still opt for the Revell kit as they are comparable on price
  • Same goes for the Typhoon, Revell over the Italeri option as the Italeri represents an early prototype
  • Rafale, the Revell kit again but the Hobby Boss kit is also okay. If they are the same price, Revell has nicer engraving
  • Growler, Meng or Hasegawa, whichever is cheaper, they are both good. The Italeri kit is much cheaper but has a lot of errors. Italeri was first to market with a Growler and it shows as their product is less accurate  and although cheaper, it does not fit great and is best avoided.
  • Viggen, Italeri or Tarangus. The Italeri kit is cheap and cheerful has raised panel details and lacks cockpit and undercarriage detail but goes together very well and looks like a VIggen. The Tarangus kit is expensive by comparison and has a reputation for fit issues, but is more accurate. There is also a bunch of aftermarket available to suit the Tarangus kit to correct the more 'accurate' kit
  • Gripen, the KittyHawk kit is better detailed than the Italeri kit in the box but KH ave a reputation for confusing instructions and a somewhat difficult assembly. They are also out of business. My experience has been hit and miss. Their helicopter kits are not too bad but their Jaguar is not good at all. Italeri make a nice kit, again cheaper with a lower parts count that goes together easily

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pappy said:

Well I disagree with that assessment.

welcome to do so of course!

I build one (the two seater actually) and my build experience was not the smoothest to say the least... but yes, the airframe looks like a MiG-29 when finished, the supplied weapons not so much unfortunately (the pylons are all too small, the R-27 radar guided missiles  way to skinny and short, the R-60 simply a caricature.... maybe the R-73 pass as such)

here I put you a build review form someone else, totally unrelated to myself, but sharing basically my thoughts...

https://www.hyperscale.com/2017/features/mig29aacademy48jb_1.htm

Summary ;)

"In 2017 there is no good reason to be building this kit. It wasn’t very good when it was released in 1993, and nearly 25 years later it has been eclipsed by the Great Wall Hobby kits."

can be build - yes!

should invest into it today - no!

some more here:

(go down to "ViperEnforcers" post for the relevant info)

https://archive.aeroscale.net/forums/170751/

here on BM you have s slightly more favorable opinion :) :

but of course, to each its own!

cheers!  :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow - what a wealth of information ! Thank you @exdraken and @Pappy 

Ive still got a little work to do on the F15 (especially with my most recent colour and mask issues !!) 

But I’m currently favouring either a Revell Rafale the Meng Growler or a HobbyBoss Flanker.

With the Flanker, there are quite a few options, namely the 81712 81713 and 81711 - just looking into the idiosyncrasies of these at present :) 

• Like 1