Airfix 1/43 Bugatti Chiron

Hello,

I have finished this little beauty. I haven't seen one of these built up yet except for the Airfix pubey promo pics and I can say it is a lovely well detailed kit. Being so small it's difficult to keep it clean, so I'll let Airfix off on their hairy examples.

Paints are Humbrol Enamels and Alclad Chrome.

Cheers 🍻 

Andy.

• Like 29

Thanks chaps! yeah, I'll be grabbing the other two when released, good pallete cleanser between builds. The metallic black makes it look dusty though which is annoying 😒 

Andy

Edited by ElectricLightAndy

10 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

Very well done 👍 Actually looks so good it could pass for a larger scale.

Yes... it's a shame its not a larger scale, but still a nice kit, sits along side some diecasts on my shelf.

8 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

I’m now completely convinced I need one to bring my shelf of Heller 1/43s into the 21st century

Yeah it'd go nice with those, aren't airfix re-releasing some heller rally cars in this scale too, or did I imagine that?

Thank you very much for your kind comments.

Andy.

Nice model build!     

1/43rd  scale is a bit of an adventure for Airfix going into this collector scale where there are vast numbers of ready built models and kits out there of many different vehicles.

A nice starter kit though relatively inexpensive but well detailed.

• Like 2

I think that many would disagree Trevor about 1/43rd (often referred to as 'Braille Scale') being the 'proper' scale.

1/43rd is a scale that originated to be compatible with O Gauge model railways as complementary vehicles on layouts. Dinky Toys cars may have been the fore runner in this scale that was adopted as a car modelling scale. It really started to become so popular in the early seventies when many cottage industries started to churn out white metal kits. Some good, some indifferent and some that were truly awful at the time.

1/25th and 1/24th scales it could be argued were introduced as car and truck modelling scales from the outset rather than be an adoptation of a railway modelling scale. 1/43rd it has to be said had much more diversity than any other scale, and collections take up minimal space compared to the larger kit scales. These days 1/43rd scale kits are very well detailed and aimed at serious modellers generally in the main. So the Airfix kits will be a good inexpensive introduction to this scale that should be applauded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

That model really doesn't show its scale, you have done a great job with it.

It's not a car I'd buy in any scale but I'm sure it will prove popular with collectors and new modellers.

• Thanks 1

On 13/06/2022 at 08:48, Noel Smith said:

1/43rd is a scale that originated to be compatible with O Gauge model railways as complementary vehicles on layouts. Dinky Toys cars may have been the fore runner in this scale that was adopted as a car modelling scale. It really started to become so popular in the early seventies when many cottage industries started to churn out white metal kits. Some good, some indifferent and some that were truly awful at the time.

1/25th and 1/24th scales it could be argued were introduced as car and truck modelling scales from the outset rather than be an adoptation of a railway modelling scale. 1/43rd it has to be said had much more diversity than any other scale, and collections take up minimal space compared to the larger kit scales. These days 1/43rd scale kits are very well detailed and aimed at serious modellers generally in the main. So the Airfix kits will be a good inexpensive introduction to this scale that should be applauded.

Indeed, 1/43 scale has its roots in model railways.

It is the diversity and range of subjects that attracts me to this scale, and the space they occupy on the shelf.  Sadly, a lot of the major manufacturers are now out of business.  However, there are plenty of unmade kits, mostly resin these days, still available on auction sites.

Trevor

• Like 1

There was a surge of different manufacturers setting up shop to do 1/43rd scale kits. Like Trevor has said, many have fallen by the wayside.. 

I see that you live in Sleaford Trevor. I think that a well known writer modeller named Gerald Scarborough lived in your town.

1 hour ago, Noel Smith said:

There was a surge of different manufacturers setting up shop to do 1/43rd scale kits. Like Trevor has said, many have fallen by the wayside.. 

I see that you live in Sleaford Trevor. I think that a well known writer modeller named Gerald Scarborough lived in your town.

Well, I didn't know that he lived in Sleaford.  I remember his books though.

Trevor

• 10 months later...