AIP / Aoshima Thunderbird 1 (1:144)

So an impulse trip to Hobbycraft today lightened my wallet to the tune of £35 and I walked away with this (along with the annoyance that the TB1 and TB2/3 kits aren't in scale with each other unless you pay extra for the kit that has both TB1 and its launch bay in):

uge7Vv7m.jpg

T30Tnpxm.jpg

I am a bit unsure about what paint shades are quote-unquote correct given that the instructions say that their codes are just a suggestion. Mostly because I've got a tin of Ford Nordic Blue in the garage from a costume project that I think would be perfect for those areas. Might also replace the black stripe decals with vinyl tape for the sake of my own sanity.

• Like 2

I personally wouldn't be too worried about the exact shade, a quick look on Thunderbirds wiki shooting models page shows that there were a lot of models used during filming (not to mention recycled footage) and the blue appears to vary between scenes as the different builders basically just used what they had to hand. 

As long as it looks right then I'd say that it is right. That's certainly the attitude I'm taking with my current build of Thunderbird 2 and will be the same when I get round to building my Thunderbird 1 kit. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Arthur_Dent said:

I personally wouldn't be too worried about the exact shade, a quick look on Thunderbirds wiki shooting models page shows that there were a lot of models used during filming (not to mention recycled footage) and the blue appears to vary between scenes as the different builders basically just used what they had to hand. 

As long as it looks right then I'd say that it is right. That's certainly the attitude I'm taking with my current build of Thunderbird 2 and will be the same when I get round to building my Thunderbird 1 kit. 

Fair enough. I think the BMW silver I have downstairs is a bit too light though so will look for something a bit darker.

Also have a dry fit.

Lua9iuXm.jpg

The thruster block is -technically- rotated through 90 degrees because I got confused by the instructions and glued the connector in wrong, but given that as far as I can tell the part isn't handed it doesn't really matter (and if needed I can cut a new registration slot into it).

Edited by PinkThorn242
  • Like 3

OK, final update for the time being while I research what paints I think look best.

oVj4POrm.jpg

Dry fitting looks good (although alignment on the forward fuselage is a pain - there's only one pin on each side meaning it's possible for the wing gloves to slide). Also leaving the back off the thruster block until the model is finished and I am satisfied it sits on the rear skid properly with just the included counterweight (those white rods in the layout pic).

• Like 4

A quick look at the instructions shows they recommend humbrol 89 middle blue, checking on modelshade.com they list Tamiya x-14 sky blue, Vallejo model air 71.333 Russian af blue and Vallejo model colour 70.841 Andrea blue as being pretty close. 

11 hours ago, Arthur_Dent said:

A quick look at the instructions shows they recommend humbrol 89 middle blue, checking on modelshade.com they list Tamiya x-14 sky blue, Vallejo model air 71.333 Russian af blue and Vallejo model colour 70.841 Andrea blue as being pretty close. 

I've also had people who've built the kit say that Ford Olympic Blue is a pretty close match to the filming model. Will need to do some testing.

...I'm going to need a lot of spoons.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PinkThorn242 said:

I've also had people who've built the kit say that Ford Olympic Blue is a pretty close match to the filming model. Will need to do some testing.

...I'm going to need a lot of spoons.

Ford Olympic blue would make sense since Thunderbird 2 was apparently painted in Ford Applejack green because that's what the builders had to hand and in those days car colours were probably a lot easier to come by than model paints. 

OK, that's the Olympic Blue applied to the cylinder and wingtips. I need to go and get the thruster block primed so I can add the stripes to it.

ERhW1kbm.jpg

And then debate the pot of Tamiya XF-56 Metallic Grey I have will work for the silver areas considering I've never tried airbrushing their paints before.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PinkThorn242 said:

OK, that's the Olympic Blue applied to the cylinder and wingtips. I need to go and get the thruster block primed so I can add the stripes to it.

ERhW1kbm.jpg

And then debate the pot of Tamiya XF-56 Metallic Grey I have will work for the silver areas considering I've never tried airbrushing their paints before.

Tamiya xf paints are a dream to spray, depending, on what I'm painting I either use homemade acrylic thinners (Recipe I use ) or I just spray 50/50 Tamiya paint and cellulose thinners. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So the general state of my crafting space resulted in the nosecone getting crushed and split. I'm not sure how easy it will be to repair. May be possible to use the body to push it back into shape with glue in the cracks.

aTwa9RPm.jpg

UhO3YQcm.jpg

UPDATE: OK so I tried that and it didn't work out. I think this project is a write-off.

Edited by PinkThorn242
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

hummm

Could you make a "The Uninvited" diorama. Where the Zombite fighter shoots Scott down

spacer.png

You might be able to add in a Zombite fighter as well - though the scale may be off (nope, just checked, they do do a 1/144 104 Starfighter)

http://www.tobor2.com/zombite/zombite.htm

Edited by Aku
  • Like 3

Great suggestion Aku ... Saves binning a decent kit because of a busted nosecone .... Or he could even find someone who has the kit , that could possibly make a mould of it and cast one 👍