Norway dumps NH-90, wants it's money back

Slater

9 hours ago, wellsprop said:

https://www.defensenews.com/global/asia-pacific/2020/12/16/south-korea-to-order-12-mh-60r-anti-submarine-helicopters/

Don't underestimate the influence of politics in defence procurement. 

I don't.   Airbus has a pretty skeezy track record in this area.   I'm sure that's resulted in more than a few sales for them.

8 hours ago, 11bravo said:

I don't.   Airbus has a pretty skeezy track record in this area.   I'm sure that's resulted in more than a few sales for them.

Which company doesn't not? 

Do not get me Wrangler, I do not approve of this practice!!

The F-104 deal in Europe was rather suspect, the AW-101 order was cancelled in India due to alleged irregularities, 

The Tornado sale in Saudi Arabia was questioned by some,  etc....

And then there is also political pressure  that is exercised..... and favors that are done/ expected/ returned through armament  deals...

- wonder why Qatar currently buys Rafales, Eurofighters and F-15s simultaneously??? :devil:

Buying arms is not like buying pasta in the supermarket... and even there you might be subject to monopolies, price cartels,  etc...

• Like 1

With Blackhawk's (and presumably Seahawk's) eventual replacement on the horizon I would have thought that UH-60 procurement would be tapering off. However, from today's (27 June) DoD contract announcements:

"Sikorsky Aircraft Corp., Stratford, Connecticut, was awarded a $2,278,598,185 firm-fixed-price contract for procurement of 120 H-60M Black Hawk helicopters and related support for fiscal years 2022-2026, including options for an additional 135 aircraft. Bids were solicited via the internet with one received. Work will be performed in Stratford, Connecticut, with an estimated completion date of June 30, 2027. Fiscal 2022 aircraft procurement, Army funds in the amount of $478,127,856 were obligated at the time of the award. U.S. Army Contracting Command, Redstone Arsenal, Alabama, is the contracting activity (W58RGZ-22-C-0010). (Awarded June 26, 2022)"

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 1:12 PM, Das Abteilung said:

Some of the things you describe are fundamental.  Please tell me that there were user acceptance trials and reliability qualification trials against defined specifications, preferably on a prototype and then again on the first-off production example before service acceptance. 

I did manage to find this from circa 2010:

The German Army conducted an evaluation of their new NH-90 helicopters, and were not pleased. Their conclusion was that, for combat missions, another model helicopter should be used whenever possible. A particular problem was the lack of ground clearance. The NH-90 can't land on a piece of ground with any obstacles higher than 16 cm (6.4 inches). That makes many battlefield landing zones problematic. That assumes you can even get on a NH-90 and find a seat. The passenger seats cannot hold more than 110 kg (242 pounds). Combat equipment for German troops weighs 25 kg (55 pounds), meaning any soldier weighing more than 85 kg (187) has to take stuff off, put it on the floor, than quickly put it back on before exiting. Then there's the floor, it's not very sturdy, and combat troops using the helicopter for a short while, cause damage that takes the helicopter out of action for repairs. Worse, there is the rear ramp. It cannot support troops carrying all their equipment, making it useless for rapid exits of combat troops. There is not enough room in the passenger compartment for door gunners. There are no strap downs for larger weapons, like portable rocket launchers or anti-aircraft missiles. The passenger compartment also does not allow for carrying cargo and passengers at the same time. The winch is not sturdy enough for commandoes to perform fast roping operations.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1