Eduard/Airfix Spitfire Mk XIVc conversion 322 Squadron *** Finished ***

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking good all together,  what a mojo boosting milestone to get to this stage . Cracking work. 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Am quite surprised how well the Airfix and Eduard kits can be aligned without too much trouble. Following @Biggles87 at the same time with his approach of using the Airfix and Hasegawa kit, which appears quite a good solution for the highback XIV as well.

Rob

• Like 2

Hi,

Some further progress today.

Attached the rudder, elevators and wing tips.

Gv4tq8d.jpg

kaHbWBj.jpg

Starting to look a little bit like a Griffon Spitfire

4v5l18c.jpg

Thinned the base of the Airfix underwing air intakes. Glued them with Gunze extra thin cement and sealed everything with the capillary action of some thin CA filler mix.

imcDrJO.jpg

Think it is almost time for some primer to see what needs further attention or restoring of lost detail etc.

That’s all, thanks for watching.

Rgds,

Rob 

• Like 10

46 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Looking more than a little like a Griffon Spitfire.

John. 🇺🇦

Thanks John, I guess some Tamiya fine primer will reveal all tomorrow… Fingers crossed 🤞 

Rgds

Rob

21 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Excellent! I'd like to think Airfix will release a high back XIV soon... 

Thanks.

Not sure, but I would probably buy one. I actually quite like the Airfix parts that I am using for this build. The Airfix plastic is quite nice to work with and the detail is fine too.

Rob

Hi,

Applied some Tamiya fine surface primer. 

Some corrections to be made. Especially around the aft engine compartment as expected. May first do some panel scribing around that area and see if that is enough to lift it. The whole panel should be slightly raised from what I understand. We’ll see what is further needed. 

wkFXfkd.jpg

Also some work needed around the raised exhaust covers. Not quite sure if they are meant to smoothly transition into the front cowl panel or not.

dNTIMtu.jpg

YyY2x9o.jpg

DPws5Y0.jpg

b0Xvi21.jpg

Guess some more smoothening out around the exhaust covers is required to make the seams less pronounced.

Am reasonably happy with the blending in of the tail.

dRoRRtK.jpg

Underside not too bad either

XRXb025.jpg

Think I will let the primer dry hard for a day, before I attempt any scribing.

Still have to find a solution to brink back some lost fastener detail of the engine cowling 🤔

That’s all, thanks for watching,

Rgds 

Rob 

• Like 8

16 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Excellent! I'd like to think Airfix will release a high back XIV soon... 

I think that there is going to be an announcement around the time that Rob finishes this conversion!

:sorry:

• Haha 6

Hi,

In an effort to make the outline of the exhaust covers a little less pronounced, I decided to apply some perfect putty. Hopefully this will create the desired effect:

HulMgZL.jpg

Thanks for watching 

Rgds

Rob

• Like 8

Definitely looks like a Spitfire Mk XIV now.

I’m going to ‘paint’ some Mr Surfacer 1000 around mine, there should definitely be a line around them but I think it's just a little too deep. You’ve done the right thing.

John. 🇺🇦

12 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Definitely looks like a Spitfire Mk XIV now.

I’m going to ‘paint’ some Mr Surfacer 1000 around mine, there should definitely be a line around them but I think it's just a little too deep. You’ve done the right thing.

John. 🇺🇦

Thanks John,

Looking forward to your next post.👍

Rgds,

Rob 

• Like 1

Hi,

It’s that situation where it is 2 steps forward and 1 step back with the build.

Did some re-scribing around the nose area and then damaged the filler cap on the engine cover. Did some similar scribing work on the tail end and it felt terrible uneven. Therefore reshaped the back end of the spine and it feels much smoother now with the lumps and bumps gone.

That’s how far I got until now

3i7Ilys.jpg

That’s all, thanks for watching

Rgds

Rob

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Considering the amount of cutting and shutting that’s gone on, it’s looking like it was always that way.

Remind me never to buy a suspiciously cheap used car from you! :)

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. I do have a mean looking Clio on the drive if you are interested. It’s not mine, but nevertheless…

But yes, lots of cutting, filling, sanding….but that’s ok, as long as I get it over the finish line.

Rgds,

Rob 

On 13/10/2022 at 13:28, Biggles87 said:

Still looking good to me.

By a strange coincidence I've just posted something about forward and backward steps.

John  🇺🇦

Thanks John, just had a look at your latest post. Oh oh.

Anyway, hope you get it back on track.

Just noticed I got to go back to the spine. I put the antenna base on from the VIII and IX and From what I can see it should be removed and flush.

Another step back,

Rgds 

Rob 

1 hour ago, Rob K. said:

The invasion stripe scheme looks quite nice.

Is that the one you're going with? They're all nice looking schemes. That particular marque of Spit certainly looked like it would do the business.

26 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Is that the one you're going with? They're all nice looking schemes. That particular marque of Spit certainly looked like it would do the business.

Hi Tony,

Yes, looks quite nice. Will look to see if I can find any images of the actual plane. It’s only showing the starboard side. Would be good to know if the port side has the small orange triangle for instance.

Rob

Hi,

There are a couple of references with regards to the 322 RAF (Dutch) squadron:

The IPMS.nl website with a section with reference to the RAF 322 sq Spitfires incl Mk XIV’s:

https://ipms.nl/artikelen/nedmil-luchtvaart/vliegtuigen-s/vliegtuigen-s-spitfire

There is even some YouTube colour (coloured in?) footage of 322 squadron Mk XIV’s with invasion stripes:

May have a look and see if I can identify a MkXIVc with invasion stripes from the footage which I can replicate.

That’s all, thanks for watching.

Rgds,

Rob 

• Like 2

Hi,

Managed to re-scribe all of the lost panel lines and rivet and fastener detail.

Thought I’d loosely put the propellor together to see if the contours look ok.

Some inevitable mis scribing  which was filled with tipex and smoothed out with a cotton bud dipped in IPA (around the cowling area).

Yy0sYUf.jpg

JotnrP3.jpg

That’s all, thanks for watching,

Rgds 

Rob 

• Like 7

Lovely work Rob - having recently finished an easy Airfix Mk.XIVe build I'm really impressed with the result you will surely produce from this build! Will follow with interest,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1