Eduard/Airfix Spitfire Mk XIVc conversion 322 Squadron *** Finished ***

Hi,

There are a couple of posts describing the conversion of combining various kits to end up with a Mk XIV high back. I am lacking the Spitfire knowledge despite reading through the various builds here on BM and P.B. on YouTube etc. to confidently build an accurate XIV. There is also a reasonable possibility that if I don’t post it as a WIP on BM, it may not be finished at all and keep lingering in it’s boxes.

So here we go:

Probably no surprise but the bases are the Eduard Mk VIII weekend ed. and the Airfix FR Mk XIV.

In my naivety, I think below should probably accomplish the construction of the MkXIVc Highback.

1. Mostly use the fuselage of the VIII which should fit nicely in the:

2. C-Wing of the VIII

3. Using the bigger Airfix underwing air scoops

4. possibly filling in some fuselage panels on the port side and scribing a new panel on the Eduard starboard side

5. Use the nose and prop from the Airfix kit and attach it to the Eduard Mk VIII fuselage

6. Use the entire tail section of the Airfix kit

As I write this I have a feeling that my assumptions are already wrong and I have cut off the wrong sections and made a complete hash of it, but perhaps not. 🤞

The bases

LCR4DN6.jpg

To my surprise after trying to figure out how to correctly scale and print a drawing, the outlines all match up. (Making sure everything will be aligned ok)

sKtDOA0.jpg

The question is what to do with the fuselage panels?

YlA3R4J.jpg

Use the air intakes from the Airfix kit:

EiWp7vt.jpg

Any feedback confirming or pointing out flaws in my build assumptions are very welcome.

If successful I may finish it as a MkXIVc in RAF 322 Squadron markings.

It will not be a fast build as I will start work on my RF-101 Voodoo and continue on my ship build as well. At least, that is the plan. May do a WIP on both.

Anyway, that’s all, 

Thanks for watching,

Rgds,

Rob

• Like 10

Hello Rob,

I did a similar work in 1/72, take a look. The main difference  is in the wing, you'll need a c-wing with those beautiful clear cannon fairings in the outer position! Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good start Rob  

Ill be following along as like you I read those threads with great interest and this is a conversion that I’d like to attempt. 

Look forward to more progress. 

James 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, steh2o said:

Hello Rob,

I did a similar work in 1/72, take a look. The main difference  is in the wing, you'll need a c-wing with those beautiful clear cannon fairings in the outer position! Good luck!

Thanks, I had a look at the wing part of your post. It confuses me already 😉. I should be ok with the C-wing as in the Eduard kit correct? With the cannons and the blister on the inside, just like the right part of the drawing as per below?

VmYnuGq.jpg

Sorry, really not an expert on Spits.

Rgds,

Rob 

• Like 1

Yes Eduard Mk.VIII wing is almost right.

Referring to Tenma's plan, yes it should look like the right part (marked as "starboard C wing"). Please note that the long thin blister above the wheel well was not present on wartime Mk.XIV and there seems to be no amber light under the fuselage of early Mk.XIVs

Stefano

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2022 at 5:41 AM, Rob K. said:

The question is what to do with the fuselage panels?

YlA3R4J.jpg

If you are doing an early "fighter" XIV, I don't think that you need to change the hatches from the Mk.VIII locations.  I did a superficial look at photos and think I see the standard one on the port side.  I'm not sure about the starboard side, and have a vague idea that it might relate to the FR- access to camera.

bob

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tarlucan said:

Are you planning to use the Eduard cockpit with a Mk XIV instrument panel?

I wasn’t going to assuming very little difference. However your query got me to “Google” the differences and for now below is what I could find regarding Mk XIV flight evaluation, so may look for some more info/images to back this up.

RlhbKUP.jpg

I may see if it is worthwhile modifying the cockpit. Thanks for your feedback. Would have otherwise not given it any thought.

Rgds,

Rob 

4 hours ago, gingerbob said:

If you are doing an early "fighter" XIV, I don't think that you need to change the hatches from the Mk.VIII locations.  I did a superficial look at photos and think I see the standard one on the port side.  I'm not sure about the starboard side, and have a vague idea that it might relate to the FR- access to camera.

bob

Thanks Bob, appreciate the info.

Rgds,

Rob 

Have a look at Ultracast ( Canada ) and Barracuda for Spitfire cockpit parts, if you’re thinking of some replacements or improvements. They both produce beautiful seats with moulded on harnesses.

John

PS I did think of converting a PR XIX to an FXIV but I only have one and they seem difficult to come by these days.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Have a look at Ultracast ( Canada ) and Barracuda for Spitfire cockpit parts, if you’re thinking of some replacements or improvements. They both produce beautiful seats with moulded on harnesses.

John

PS I did think of converting a PR XIX to an FXIV but I only have one and they seem difficult to come by these days.

Thanks John. I think this build is going to be on a budget since I have already purchased two kits just to make it happen. (Hopefully)

So everything I made add will have to be scratch built, moved or from the spare box 😉

Just had a look at the ultrafast and barracuda spitfire parts and they do look very nice.

Rgds,

Rob

Hi,

Did a little bit of work on the interior. Looked at different grey-greens and settled on Tamiya LP-33. The aluminium is mr Color fine silver. Some details to brush paint and some cockpit weathering to do.

SlDpxgC.jpg

The seat is MRP Russian Brown AFV. Maybe a little to dark. May re-visit this with a more red-brown colour. The back padding will be black.

KI8tEZg.jpg

After looking at a number of photographs of Mk XIVc I decided to fill the hatch on the port side fuselage behind the cockpit and scribe a hatch on the starboard side. Some tiny “miss-scribings”, but filled them with tipex (as well as the rivets inside the new hatch). After the fuselage has received a coat of primer I will make the necessary corrections and return rivet detail.

tb7s1DO.jpg

The hatch locations are also in line with the drawings I found and which I am using.

14side.gif

In addition, It looks like the 1/32 PC Mk XIVc has them as well, so I assume they did their research and below also an example of the 2nd hatch on the starboard fuselage of a XIVc.

hYdrvOR.jpg

That’s all, thanks for watching.

Rgds,

Rob

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, HAMP man said:

Might be a bit late now but Paul Budzik has done this conversion on his youtube channel. 

Box on

Rgds

35 minutes ago, HAMP man said:

Thanks. Yes, watched them all prior to starting this. 

Rgds

R

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Finished work for a while and therefore have some time to pick up where I left off on my Spitfire and Voodoo builds. 

Completed a pretty basic looking cockpit, with just the kit parts. I am just going to try and concentrate on getting the various fuselage parts to line up correctly, so it will hopefully have the right look.

Married the various Eduard and Airfix parts together, removing all locating pins, so I was able to lay the parts flat on top of the drawing, hopefully ensuring a proper line up.

7BYKemv.jpg

Z71H7dn.jpg

Soon time to glue the fuselage halves together. Fingers crossed 🤞

That’s all, thanks for watching,

Rgds 

Rob 

• Like 6

• Rob K. changed the title to Eduard/Airfix Spitfire Mk XIV conversion
  • Rob K. changed the title to Eduard/Airfix Spitfire Mk XIVc conversion
12 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

It does indeed look involved. I think I took the easy option with mine, less to go wrong with just the spine conversion.

John. 🇺🇦

Hi John,

I think you could be right. 😅

Rob

• Like 1

Hi,

Glued the 2 fuselage halves together with a combination of CA and fast drying styrene cement, trying to align fuselage top, bottom and engine section in separate steps. Will have to do some considerable filling and sanding on the tail end.

Also had to extend the cowling at the bottom end, but I think at least this part will look alright once glued into place.

O6gN7dq.jpg

Once glued in place, I realised that I probably should have paid more attention to the videos out there concerning the placement of the cowling. Should have used some plastic card to fill up the gap at the front end of the cowling. Think will fill it all and the re-scribe ? 😬

QKmn1oy.jpg

Thanks for watching.

Rob

• Like 5

Hi,

Did some more work on he XIV today and attached the fuselage to the wings. There were some inevitable gaps which I filled with Tamiya Putty and removed the excess with cotton swabs dipped in mr Color thinner.

wXzRQAm.jpg

The gaps of the engine cover in front of the cockpit have been filled with a darkened CA mix and the panel lines will need re-scribing once the primer is on.

IJBa6db.jpg

I Attached the adjusted Airfix air scoop which needs further shaping once the putty has dried.

u0VbEJt.jpg

In the process I will loose some of the detail and noticeably some raised engine cowling fasteners. Just wondering if there are any good replacements out there by means of raised decals or another easy fix that anyone can recommend?

That’s all, thanks for watching.

Rgds,

Rob 

• Like 5