Tamiya questions

masterKamera

I havent painted anything in a very long time, and that was a mailbox.

WHy does Tamiya acrylic have an ammonia smell to it?

Is that why Windex original with ammonia remove 24 hour old tamiya paint from plastic and popsicle stick?

I have used two so far xf1 black  and xf-25

the xf 25 was like coffee creamer after stirring, and the black was basically koolaid before, during, and after mixing it up. 

Is this a typical variation for acrylic paint of a quality modelling brand?

Tamiyas are alcohol based acrylics and behave differently from latex acrylics like vallejo. They're not great for brush painting without retarder but airbrush beautifully.

Water doesn't really work for thinning or cleaning, use ipa or x20a

I've had no issues with inconsistency so far.

The smell isn't ammonia, in fact to my nose it's nothing like ammonia but more a pleasant sweetish ester smell, but each to their own!

• Like 3

i brushed up my pilots chair with the black, it looked good, tonight afer 24 hours it could have used a second coat in spots.. but i skipped that process as i can barely SEE the pilot chair completely.. 

But that black created such a nice rich brown for the abelung burnt umber ive decided to use as a leather color for NOW...

I love their colours and as said before they spray absolutely beautifully. I too rather like their smell 👃!!

I have also struggled with them by hairy stick application but discovered that adding Tamiya Acrlic paint retarder 87114 can really help as well as a good thinning regime. Multiple thin coats tend to work much better than a couple of thicker applications.