B-17 G Flying Fortress "2nd Patches" 1/48

Hi,

Finally came round to taking some photo's of my completed B-17 G.

Since all of the extensive interior detail is all hidden, I decided to play around with photoshop for the first time in order to make it "re appear". Still some practice needed in that area.

Please find the WIP below:

Hope you like it

2Qhu2Hc.jpg

7jHH1A7.jpg

1pKA1T1.jpg

3EcXdt7.jpg

7jHH1A7.jpg

3SmMjtf.jpg

hk9eI6L.jpg

QrTcReY.jpg

DVRqqQS.jpg

fQ3WOt8.jpg

rl8QWoO.jpg

64dmHuR.jpg

izM6MHz.jpg

OoACMZm.jpg

Pk9r17Y.jpg

pGMIVYj.jpg

eaICu8R.jpg

S8QXQCu.jpg

CsYB33S.jpg

YiLOnbo.jpg

sKJfjgh.jpg

y8AfbuV.jpg

7lXLoJT.jpg

That's all, thanks for watching,

Rgds,

Rob

• Like 51
  • Thanks 4

Great work! This kit is as old as me (46 years!) and IMHO is still a lovely model from the wing latching system to the internal detail and even the bomb trolley and figures - that they can be had for £20 makes them a steal!

TT

2 hours ago, VolkerR. said:

I don t know what to admire most, your modelling or your photographic skills.

Outstanding both of them!

Thanks Volker, photography was done with an iPhone, 2 desk lamps and Vinyl sheet background. 

Rgds,

Rob 

1 hour ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Great work! This kit is as old as me (46 years!) and IMHO is still a lovely model from the wing latching system to the internal detail and even the bomb trolley and figures - that they can be had for £20 makes them a steal!

TT

Agree, and the shape seems just right of this old monogram kit to my eye. I still buy the old monogram kits from time to time. 

Rgds,

Rob

• Like 1

That has come out really well, Rob.

Your attention to detail is fantastic - one of the most accurately painted B-17 interiors I’ve seen in model form.

Beautiful!

Tom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great looking Fortress! The patched interior is a great idea, and you did it very well. Inspires me to consider this method. A fine job!

• Like 1

Great looking fortress and I really appreciate and admire how your "playing around" with Photoshop enhanced the presentation of the completed model.  I always find it strange that we work so hard on the interior of kits that, once the model is completed, can only be seen in our memories or through photos taken during construction.  Otherwise, all the work is lost to the darkness of the interior of the kit and will never see the light of day again.  Casual observers of our work will never know, and are even more perplexed why we go to the extremes we take on creating minute details that no one will ever see.  I really like your presentation of the interior through your manipulation of Photoshop.  It is both a great idea and a superb presentation.

Now, maybe I will have the gumption to begin my "Phantom" B-17 with the clear fuselage pieces based upon your kit and interior work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice build. The original Monogram kit was later released as a "visible" kit with a clear plastic fuselage side. 

Never had the room for a 1/48 B17 and had make do with a B25, similar level of detail.

• Thanks 1

Hello Rob,

It's a beautiful beast, well represented. Well done! 👍:clap2:
I too like the picture inlays that allow you to see inside.

There are many interesting details, like the representation of the canvas and the rear sight, the oil and smoke trails on the wings... 

There is also an often under-represented detail: the olive drab paint around the engine cover openings. Nice touch!

I might have started this Olive drab paint a little lower on the bonnets, at the bottom of the exhaust pipe of the internal engines for example. But that's really petty of me!  :chair:

A B17, what else? :cheers:

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, georgeusa said:

Great looking fortress and I really appreciate and admire how your "playing around" with Photoshop enhanced the presentation of the completed model.  I always find it strange that we work so hard on the interior of kits that, once the model is completed, can only be seen in our memories or through photos taken during construction.  Otherwise, all the work is lost to the darkness of the interior of the kit and will never see the light of day again.  Casual observers of our work will never know, and are even more perplexed why we go to the extremes we take on creating minute details that no one will ever see.  I really like your presentation of the interior through your manipulation of Photoshop.  It is both a great idea and a superb presentation.

Now, maybe I will have the gumption to begin my "Phantom" B-17 with the clear fuselage pieces based upon your kit and interior work. 

Thank you @georgeusa. I purchased this b-17 really cheap on an auction website and it is in fact the phantom version with the left half moulded in clear plastic. I got the photoshop idea for this build after seeing Martin Dytrich’s Avenger on the imodeler website a while back. He did a much better job.

Thanks also to @binbrook87, @Alpha Delta 210, @SAT69, @janneman36, @MikeC, @VolkerR. @TEXANTOMCAT @tomprobert @Farmerboy @F-32 @Toryu @John_W @phildagreek and @Snafu35 for your feedback as well and anyone who reacted with a “like” or other.

Rgds,

Rob 

• Like 1

Wow, that's superb! The painting and weathering are spot on, I love the thought you have put into getting the exhaust staining just right, it really shows. As for the "virtual cutaway" photography, what a clever idea and really shows off a fantastic interior too 👍

• Thanks 1

Excellent attention to detail and a fantastic, realistic finish, really well done.

The photographic wizardry is just the icing on the cake. I echo @tomprobert 's comment regarding the interior, your build log reflects the research and careful consideration to get the details right 👍

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Excellent attention to detail and a fantastic, realistic finish, really well done.

The photographic wizardry is just the icing on the cake. I echo @tomprobert 's comment regarding the interior, your build log reflects the research and careful consideration to get the details right 👍

Thanks Alan 👍

Fantastic looking B-17!

A really great build & finish, nicely weathered.

The "virtual cuttaway" is a great idea, and nicely executed

:)

• Thanks 1