Airfix Bristol Superfreighter Mk32

Hello all, this is another in the series of old model kits that have crossed my workbench recently. I had one of these in 1966 or '67 and built it as an 8 - 9 year-old would (which I was at the time!), in the amazing Silver City Airways scheme. I even painted it with Airfix paints from their funny shaped bottles.

A few years ago I got another one from our friends at KingKit and, as usual, it went straight into the stash. A few months ago, I was looking through 26Decals' website and found that they did a set for the Silver City aircraft, so ordered it in despite the fact that they were laser-printed. I knew enough by then to know that some accurate masking would be needed, and after doing a Twin Otter that also needed accuracy in the masking stakes, I felt I had enough experience.

I put out a request for help on this fine Forum in the Classic Civil Aircraft - up to 1968 section for colours for this aircraft, and was rewarded with an amazing amount of help, so a big THANK YOU to all those who chipped in for me there.

I did very little to the kit itself, I just added some seatbelts, replaced the 'working' clamshell door hinges, sanded off most of the rivets (what surface detail that was left looked like 'oil-canning' so that was good). I re-scribed some panel lines (and got one at least skew-whiff!), and added card to the ends of the control surfaces to get them to fit a bit better. I photocopied the transfer sheet and used that for the demarcation between the white and silver, with the intention of putting the transfers down over the white area. All went well, except for the nose door curved transfers - I got them horribly wrong and had to do a little 'artistic licence' (or a a vague sort of 'what-if'). That is why the doors do not have a thin white cheatline whereas the main markings do. 

The explanation for this is simple - Silver City Airways changed their schemes a few times, and one of the schemes seems to show no white cheatline, just pure blue. So, in this case, this aircraft had a problem with its clamshell doors, and they were replaced with a pair from another Superfreighter that was u/s, but it had the other scheme on, hence the mis-match. Well, I suppose it is possible.

Anyway, here is what I ended up with:

DSCN8786 (2)

DSCN8787 (2)

DSCN8788

DSCN8789

DSCN8790

DSCN8791 (2)

DSCN8797 (2)

Most of the paintwork was from rattle cans - Tamiya Light Grey Primer and  White Primer, and Halfords Audi Aluminium Silver. The blue retouching for the nose and other small areas where the transfers needed adjusting was two coats of Revell matt Blue followed by two coats of Revell Gloss Blue acrylics, brush-painted. The wing and tailplane joints were pretty good, but in an ideal world I would have fitted them before painting (they were all done separately for ease of masking), so don't look too closely. The transfers behaved very well, but were translucent, and I was very please that my masking, with the exception of the nose transfers , was pretty much as good as I could have got.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed my trip down memory lane, another is in the pipeline now as I am about to start the Airfix HM Bark Endeavour, which I had at the same time as my original 'freighter, but I had to get my Dad to build that one for me.

That is that, thanks for looking and getting through the waffle.

All the best, 

Ray

• Like 42

Lovely result with that classic kit Ray, it proves that old age (of the kit!) doesn’t mean a good outcome can’t be achieved.

I remember doing this kit as a kid too and being very pleased with the result - I’m sure it wouldn’t stand up to scrutiny now if it still existed, but memory/rose tinted specs allow me to remember it fondly.

• Thanks 1

Nice trip down memory lane. I too built one way back then. The result was more than likely awful!

A few months ago I got a scrap one from the bay. The intention is to use it as a basis for a Sci fi scratchbuild. 

Probably a crazy idea, (as usual) but it should be fun. 

• Like 1

Lovely Superfreighter Ray, looks fantastic,  I did the same aircraft using S&M decals, a very enjoyable kit, I remember these coming in and out of Lydd Airport in the late 70s and early 80s , can't remember what the company was then though. Great memories. 

Great work Ray

Chris

• Like 1

Well done Ray. You've turn her out really nicely. To echo what Pete said, you show what time, patience and skill can do with such a venerable classic kit with all its challenges.

• Thanks 1

Excellent Job Ray. I recall my Dad built this kit as soon as it came out, I think in 1959 (?) and I had lots of fun running my Matchbox cars up those ramps. Since then, I think I have built three of these, two converted to Mk.31s. I have another couple in my stash with S&M Silver City and British United decals, so this inspiration will spur me on to building them.  

Edited by AMB
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2022 at 5:40 PM, johnny akes said:

Lovely result with that classic kit Ray, it proves that old age (of the kit!) doesn’t mean a good outcome can’t be achieved.

I remember doing this kit as a kid too and being very pleased with the result - I’m sure it wouldn’t stand up to scrutiny now if it still existed, but memory/rose tinted specs allow me to remember it fondly.

Thanks jonny, even though I were a nipper when I built it, I did not realise just how big it was when I unboxed it this time! At the time, I was really interested in warplanes (thanks Airfix, Commando, War and Air Ace!) but this was something totally different, and, although it had no guns, it certainly made an impression on the young me!

23 hours ago, Pete Robin said:

Bravo! It just goes to show what a lot of skill and an old "clunky" kit can do.

Brilliant.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete, not sure about the 'skill' part but it was a clunky kit, but I was amazed at just how good the fit was for some things (well, many things really).

58 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

23 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice trip down memory lane. I too built one way back then. The result was more than likely awful!

A few months ago I got a scrap one from the bay. The intention is to use it as a basis for a Sci fi scratchbuild. 

Probably a crazy idea, (as usual) but it should be fun. 

Cheers Pete in Lincs, you must tag me in when you build or show it on here, all the best with it, it sounds interesting.

22 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Lovely Superfreighter Ray, looks fantastic,  I did the same aircraft using S&M decals, a very enjoyable kit, I remember these coming in and out of Lydd Airport in the late 70s and early 80s , can't remember what the company was then though. Great memories. 

Great work Ray

Chris

Cheers Chris, too true about it being enjoyable, I loved every moment of building it. They must have been quite some sight seeing them fly, and I am surprised about how late they were flying. 

18 hours ago, chopper61 said:

Well done Ray. You've turn her out really nicely. To echo what Pete said, you show what time, patience and skill can do with such a venerable classic kit with all its challenges.

Thanks chopper61, I have to admit I do love building these old kits, sometimes I will try to 'improve' them, other times I will build them like I was a youngster again, either way it is very enjoyable.

17 hours ago, AMB said:

Excellent Job Ray. I recall my Dad built this kit as soon as it came out, I think in 1959 (?) and I had lots of fun running my Matchbox cars up those ramps. Since then, I think I have built three of these, two converted to Mk.31s. I have another couple in my stash with S&M Silver City and British United decals, so this inspiration will spur me on to building them.  

AMB, thanks for the comment, please show them when you do get around to building them, and all the best with them when the time comes.

7 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautiful job, Ray!  Your selective use of scribing and excellent workmanship take this kit to a new level.  I applaud you for it!

Thanks for that! I have seen better results (in the 'plastic' this still looks a bit iffy) but I am well pleased with it.

7 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Stunning looking model that, the paintwork and finish are amazing.

Thanks Lord Riot, it is very much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Wulfman said:

Lovely build on the ancient Airfix, at least 60 years old !

Wulfman 

Wulfman, thanks for that. As for ancient, it is two years younger than me, so it is really only in late youth!

Thanks all for the views, comments and 'likes',

Ray

• Like 3

Great stuff, especially the cockpit framing, so crisp and precise painting there, then again so is the whole kit!

I've got one too and this proves to me it can be built into a fine model, typical Airfix subject :)