1/32 Trumpeter Swordfish (Wings Folded)

Pretty much out of the box build but with Eduard (external pe set) The kits rigging was replaced with steel wire as I couldn't get the kits rigging to work...but that was probably due to my lack off patience! A straightforward, enjoyable build. Submitted foe your perusal, cheers!

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 50
  • Thanks 1

A masterclass for sure! I echo the above. The "battered" cockpit interior looks great - as does the whole build. Very impressive. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Pete Robin said:

Lovely. The finish is superb. Especially like the collector ring weathering.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete! I'm really pleased with the finished model although it did stretch my patience at times!

14 hours ago, Learstang said:

Brilliant job on that Stringbag!

Regards,

Jason

Many thanks Jason!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh wow,  what a stunning Swordfish,  great work, love that collector ring and exhaust finish. Mine is in the queue behind a shagbat. 

Cracking model.

Chris

Thanks Chris! I hope you enjoy building yours as much as I did..

14 hours ago, echen said:

A masterclass for sure! I echo the above. The "battered" cockpit interior looks great - as does the whole build. Very impressive. :thumbsup:

Many thanks echen!

12 hours ago, keith in the uk said:

Yes i agree with the above comments , the collector ring and exhaust are a work of art , great Swordfish.  :goodjob:

Thanks Keith I appreciate your comments!

12 hours ago, old_tonto said:

Absolutely stunning build. The weathering is spot on.

Thanks old_tonto the weathering took quite a while but was worth it I think?

11 hours ago, mahavelona said:

Stunning build.

You made the right rigging choice. I used the trumpeter steel on my build and sadly it warped with the wings folded... Was never quite happy with it.

Thanks mahavelona, I realised early on that I was going to have problems with the kit's rigging and very soon turned to the steel wire to get the job done.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Epeeman said:

Really execellent work on your Swordfish

Regards

Dave

Many thanks Dave, much appreciated!

7 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Brilliant - I really like it.  How did you do the collector ring?  Can I rob the process?

Thanks for your comments Grey Beema! Happy to help with the collector ring....if you give me some time I'll explain how I did it and give you the paint codes!

6 hours ago, Dunny said:

Cracking build and finish, and what @Grey Beema said! Love it :clap2:

Thanks Dunny, much appreciated!

4 hours ago, Golikell said:

Well executed... My personal preference would be one wing folded, and one extended, to show both features of the plane. I did the same for the Hellcat I built.

Thanks Golikell! I chose to fold the wings to cut down on storage space and it made it an interesting model

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 10:00 AM, Grey Beema said:

Brilliant - I really like it.  How did you do the collector ring?  Can I rob the process?

Here you go Grey Beama, I hope you find this useful?....

Prime the ring with a primer of your choice ( I used thinned 50:50 Mr Surfacer 1000) Ensure the primer has dried thoroughly and you have a really smooth finish. The first coat is silver rub’n’buff (I always apply this with my finger in light coats..difficult to do on the inside of the ring so use a brush) Mask off the thin silver ring around the outside of the ring (again, make sure the paint is dried fully) The next stage is to lightly stipple, using a sponge thinned Vallejo Saddle Brown (70.940) onto the ring followed by thinned Flat Brown (70.984) in a light stippling motion…you should still be able to see the silver base coat clearly. When the brown shades have dried and using the sponge stippling effect again, apply a thinned coat of Gunmetal Grey (70.863) followed by a thinned stippled coat of Oily Steel (70.865). Leave the paint to dry thoroughly (I would recommend 24 hours if possible) and when the paints dry, take the rub’n’buff and apply a thin coat over the entire ring avoiding obscuring the previous coats of brown/steel. To do this, I use a finger with practically all of the rub’n’buff removed (a bit like dry brushing). Once again, leave to dry thoroughly. If you think there is not enough discolouration go back and apply the browns/steel and keep building it up….this is not a quick process. Once all the paint has dried give it a semi gloss varnish and the job is done. As always, practice is your key friend here! I've quoted Vallejo paints because that's what I used I would suppose any other manufacturers would do the same?

• Thanks 1

Wow, that is magnificent & so wonderfully weathered. Hard to believe the exhaust rig and exhaust  have not been replaced with metal. Those are really hard to do realistically.

Thank you for the information on how to do it.  That exhaust pipe makes the mechanic in me want to look closer to see how corroded and thin walled it has become...

I'm not sure whether this should enthuse me to get my kit out and start in , or whether it makes me pout it away again because I'll never be that good. !   (Actually It makes me determined to start, and gives me a target - which I don't expect to reach, but trying will be fun! )  Maybe I should practice on the 1/48th version first.

The combination of very subtle weathering and 'ageing' plus some subtle oil dribble stains and dirt accumulations in crevices, makes this one of the most realistic looking models I've seen.  Chapeau ! 

John B

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Phoenix673 said:

Here you go Grey Beama, I hope you find this useful?....

Prime the ring with a primer of your choice ( I used thinned 50:50 Mr Surfacer 1000) Ensure the primer has dried thoroughly and you have a really smooth finish. The first coat is silver rub’n’buff (I always apply this with my finger in light coats..difficult to do on the inside of the ring so use a brush) Mask off the thin silver ring around the outside of the ring (again, make sure the paint is dried fully) The next stage is to lightly stipple, using a sponge thinned Vallejo Saddle Brown (70.940) onto the ring followed by thinned Flat Brown (70.984) in a light stippling motion…you should still be able to see the silver base coat clearly. When the brown shades have dried and using the sponge stippling effect again, apply a thinned coat of Gunmetal Grey (70.863) followed by a thinned stippled coat of Oily Steel (70.865). Leave the paint to dry thoroughly (I would recommend 24 hours if possible) and when the paints dry, take the rub’n’buff and apply a thin coat over the entire ring avoiding obscuring the previous coats of brown/steel. To do this, I use a finger with practically all of the rub’n’buff removed (a bit like dry brushing). Once again, leave to dry thoroughly. If you think there is not enough discolouration go back and apply the browns/steel and keep building it up….this is not a quick process. Once all the paint has dried give it a semi gloss varnish and the job is done. As always, practice is your key friend here! I've quoted Vallejo paints because that's what I used I would suppose any other manufacturers would do the same?

Perfect - thank you Phoenix. I am going to copy, print and keep that in my references.  If I can get it anywhere near as good as yours I'd be happy..

Practice, practice, practice...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John B (Sc) said:

Wow, that is magnificent & so wonderfully weathered. Hard to believe the exhaust rig and exhaust  have not been replaced with metal. Those are really hard to do realistically.

Thank you for the information on how to do it.  That exhaust pipe makes the mechanic in me want to look closer to see how corroded and thin walled it has become...

I'm not sure whether this should enthuse me to get my kit out and start in , or whether it makes me pout it away again because I'll never be that good. !   (Actually It makes me determined to start, and gives me a target - which I don't expect to reach, but trying will be fun! )  Maybe I should practice on the 1/48th version first.

The combination of very subtle weathering and 'ageing' plus some subtle oil dribble stains and dirt accumulations in crevices, makes this one of the most realistic looking models I've seen.  Chapeau ! 

John B

Many thanks for your kind comments John...and if a mechanic thinks the exhaust is realistic then I've achieved my aim!

I find that seeing a model that has been completed to a high standard (and there are many on this site!) enthuses me and challenge my abilities to do the best I can. I have been modelling for sixty odd years and so have had a lot of practice but, just like many of us, I have produced some pretty poor renditions but I think this is a critical stage of becoming a 'better' model maker.

This aircraft was well out of my comfort zone but I was inspired by a photograph of a Swordfish and I though I'd like to have a crack at making one.....the inspiration for me was the collector ring and exhaust in the photo of the real thing. In order to try to get a true representation took a lot of experimentation and I'd be the first to admit that had a few poor attempts before the final version. My advice (for what it's worth) is just keep on modelling and experimenting and learn from the mistakes which we all make.

With regards to building a 1/48 version I would just jump in and start on your 1/32 kit.....nothing ventured and all that!

That looks really good, I have one in the stash so one day I may get around to building it, I will be happy if it will turns out anywhere near as good as yours.

Cheers

Dennis

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Phoenix673 said:

Many thanks for your kind comments John...and if a mechanic thinks the exhaust is realistic then I've achieved my aim!

Thanks - strictly I am an engineer by profession, though I also act as a mechanic from time to time, under supervision as necessary, on my own aeroplanes and some club ones. Just because I can design kit and do the calcs etc. doesn't mean I am competent to look after it !  Still learning, mostly from my mistakes. (Wouldn't like to be found pretending to qualifications I haven't got...)

Probably will just jump in and build; the Swordfish is a long time favourite aircraft.  A family friend used to fly them during the war, and ditched one in the Med. He spent several hours 'standing' on one wheel of the mostly sunk inverted machine before being rescued. Always wondered if that stroke of luck was what tilted him to becoming a Minister after the war.

John B

Edited by John B (Sc)