1/72 F-86F Sabre Fujimi/Italeri Spanish Air Force - a late WIP

• 2 weeks later...

No pics but a quick update to let you know that the sabre is fighting me until the very end.

The montex masks left a lot of residue which took some time to clean and left me with some annoying repairs to perform.

I've managed to lose some decals to some not so sticky masking tape 😒

My 6 months old jar of Gunze SM-201 managed to fully dry out (am I that bad at closing lids?). Which means that I have to wait for some more paint to come in the mail to touch up the last few bits and call it done.

Let that be a reminder that things can go bad, even when you think you're "out of the woods"

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Bell209 said:

I've found that, too. Back to Kabuki masks for me!

My issue with them is that the peel back easily during the painting process :(. I do still use them but I clean the area to be masked with meths first. I always give my models a wipe of meths over the transparencies once finished too.

On 6/10/2022 at 7:48 PM, cpoud117 said:

I even have a second-hand RF-86F box someone stole the F-40 wings from and replaced them with hard ones (that will teach me to buy kits without inspecting them at shows).

You could build a USAF Korean War Haymaker.

Cheers,

Andre

8 hours ago, Bell209 said:

I've found that, too. Back to Kabuki masks for me!

Yup, Montex will be a last resort as far as I'm concerned.

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

My issue with them is that the peel back easily during the painting process :(. I do still use them but I clean the area to be masked with meths first. I always give my models a wipe of meths over the transparencies once finished too.

Meths? I'm not sure what that means in this context.

1 hour ago, Hook said:

Cheers,

Andre

Yeah, I thought about doing that but decals are few and far between for hard-winged RF-86's . I may just use the Recce bits on a F-40 kit instead.

2 hours ago, cpoud117 said:

Yeah, I thought about doing that but decals are few and far between for hard-winged RF-86's . I may just use the Recce bits on a F-40 kit instead.

Korean conflict recce Sabres did carry rather standard markings - the whole idea being that they would not stick out compared to their standard fighter / fighter bomber stablemates.

Cheers,

Andre

On 22/08/2022 at 14:19, Hook said:

Cheers,

Andre

That piece contains some very dodgy info - for a start there is no such thing as a "factory built" RF-86F or even a "factory converted" one! All were converted in-theatre with none done by NAA and none converted in the United States. Some of these later went to the RoCAF and RoKAF. Mitsubishi later converted a number of existing F-86Fs for the JASDF in the same way.

On 22/08/2022 at 09:47, RidgeRunner said:

Methylated Spirit

Ah, good. I thought for a moment you were advocating for the use of methamphetamines whilst modelling. Hmmm, maybe not a bad idea. Instead of it taking me months (years) to finish a model, I could get five completed in one day.

Regards,

Jason

P.S. Lovely work on that F-86, cpoud117! I have to admit that NMF scares me, but it looks like you know very well how to do it.

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...