1/32 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 7 WRC +++Finished+++

CliffB

And now for something completely different (as someone once said).

Having ditched my proposed Cirrus Moth build, I've decided to build this instead.

P1130128.JPG

Sliding the tray out from the box, reveals some nicely packaged bits and also the painting paraphernalia promised by the "Starter Kit" flash.  Under the tray, there's also a tube of cement.

P1130129.JPG

The decals are for the Alister McRae/David Senior car from the 2002 Monte Carlo Rally (in which they finished 14th).

The kit itself is pretty basic - it's little more than a Scalextrix body shell and a set of wheels :winkgrin:

P1130130.JPG

Having said that, I've previously built the companion Focus WRC kit and found it to be a delight.  Everything was crisply moulded and fitted together beautifully.  One of the highlights was the decals, which were superb.  Unfortunately, my Focus kit came from a London Science Museum boxing, which had a unique decal sheet.  In contrast, this Hornby version has the standard decals, which look worryingly thick and glossy.  Fingers crossed they work OK.

Cheers

• Like 2

Just a few, tiny bits of flash to be trimmed off and then all the major parts clipped together.  You could quite possibly build this kit without using any glue.

P1130131.JPG

There is a slight problem though at the rear, where the exhaust pipe doesn't properly line up with the corresponding cut-out in the bumper.

I think the easiest solution will be to slice the pipe off the silencer and then to stick it back within the cut-out.

P1130133.JPG

The kit also suffers from see-through in a number places, although the only ones that are likely to be seen by the casual observer are the gaps in front of the foot wells.

P1130132.JPG

I had the same issue on my Hornby Focus and it was easily fixed by gluing in a couple of plasticard blanking plates.

Cheers

• Like 5

That is a nice looking wee model Cliff.

You know without too much work you could turn it into a Scalextrix car.

Good luck with this one, great to see an EVO here.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Good luck with this one, great to see an EVO here.

Thanks Rich.  It's nice to have another Group Build that readily accommodates model cars.

I think we may have all of the 'motor sport' Japanese manufacturers represented now :)

Cheers

On 6/10/2022 at 1:03 AM, trickyrich said:

You know without too much work you could turn it into a Scalextrix car.

It's funny you mention that, I had to do a double take of it as it looks just like the Scalextrix car (I know it will do because it's an Evo VIII), but I mean the way it is painted and the colours used for the plastic and some of the "simplistic" way it is painted.  It's hard to describe, but it really looks likes the moulds too (I do own the Scalextrix version).

On 6/10/2022 at 7:15 PM, CliffB said:

Thanks Rich.  It's nice to have another Group Build that readily accommodates model cars.

I think we may have all of the 'motor sport' Japanese manufacturers represented now :)

I will be keeping an eye on this build also as I love Evo's too, although I still think the IV is the best looking with the VI being the one I want to own one day - haha yeah right!  I am enjoying the build thus far. :)

I think we are missing something from Mazda and Suzuki (that I am aware off), but I do not own anything of theirs unforunately. Kinda sad not to see a 787B tbt :(

Kind regards,

Dazz

• Like 2

I'd so love to see one of these in the build, but unfortunately this version isn't available in a model.

https://gomotors.net/Suzuki/Suzuki-Fronte/photos.html?pic=6

I learnt to drive in one of these in the mid 70's, would love to own one..... a 360cc 2 stoke beast!  :D

• Like 1

Thanks @Dazzio and @trickyrich

Your eyes are not deceiving you, this literally is a Scalextrix bodyshell to which Hornby have added some seats, a chassis and some wheels (in order to sell it as a kit).

They released about a dozen of these Scaletrix based kits back in 2004.  I've got a few in my stash, but have so far just built this Focus.

spacer.png

Cheers

• Like 3

very nice!!!!

A great way to move some old Scalextrix cars, I wonder if they do a mount kit to fit 1/32nd cars on to Scalextrix bases??

Gosh this is going to make me finally build a proper folding table in the garage to set up my Scalextrix track....... plus my old Tyco HO car set!!! :D

• Like 1

20 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I wonder if they do a mount kit to fit 1/32nd cars on to Scalextrix bases??

I'm not sure about Scalextrix precisely, but there are plenty of adjustable, aftermarket slot-car chassis available to allow you to do just that :).

To be honest, I was never really into slot-cars as a kid, but I do now have a table-top version which gets dragged out occasionally at family gatherings (purely for the youngsters, you understand).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A little progress to report.

Firstly, I've modified the tail pipe so that it now fits the bumper cut-out (although I've still got to paint the exhaust system).

P1130183.JPG

And also, I've had a go at the interior.  This gave me a chance to try out the decals - thankfully they seem to work just fine :).

The Recaro text decals are from the kit, the harnesses are aftermarket as none are provided.

P1130184.JPG

Off now to think about which red paint to use :hmmm:

Cheers

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Arrr the joy's of masking!!  :D

I actually find it very therapeutical, the more so the more complicated it is.....ok I'm odd and there's always cursing involved but I still enjoy the process.

looking forward to seeing paint on her.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I actually find it very therapeutical,

Me too Rich.  Tape's good - I'm not so keen on blu-tac sausages though!

Nice Job Cliff!! :thumbsup:

There was one of these forsake yesterday at my club meet, was part of a huge collection from a deceased estate. I very nearly bought it as i think it was going for ~$10...probably should have now!

She's getting very close!!! :popcorn:

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Nice Job Cliff

Thanks Rich.  There's not much to these Hornby kits but what there is, is nicely done.  Cheap eye-candy for the cabinet :winkgrin:.

Cheers 

And here we are finished :)

P1130234.JPG

The decals worked really well - no dramas at all :thumbsup2:

Had it not been for the GB, this kit would still be languishing somewhere in my cupboard.  So thank you @trickyrich for making things happen.

Thanks too, to those of you who have liked or commented along the way :cheers:

I've just got the Subaru to build now, to complete Hornby's set of three 2002 WRCs.  Watch out for it in @Col.'s forthcoming Racer GB!

Cheers

• Like 4

• CliffB changed the title to 1/32 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 7 WRC +++Finished+++

Totally awesome looking Cliff, well done!!!:thumbsup:

Great to see one of the smaller and more unusual models in the build, hope you had fun and it was super great to have you along.

• Thanks 1