Converting a Bedford MW to an OY - possible?

bootneck

I have acquired a keen interest in building 1:35 scale trucks and one vehicle that I would like to build is a Bedford OY but no kits are available.   Can anyone here please advise if the Bedford MW, such as the Gekko MWC tanker, has the same chassis and basic (lower part) cab as the OY?   If that is the case then I could have a go at remodelling the cab and cargo section etc.

Any advice, with recommendations, plans and/or images would be gratefully appreciated.

cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike,

1) O and M use the same engine and gear box.  Wheels are identical in some cases. 

2) But O and M have similar, but not identical, chassis.  such as length of the wheelbases,  size and number of leaves on the suspensions. 

Converting a Bedford MW to an OY is possible. But you have to invest a lot of time and efforts.

Good luck

T    

Edited by Terance Wong
  • Thanks 1

Hello Terance,

Time and effort I do have, knowledge of the subject could be where I have the problems.  Thank you for the information.

Best Wishes,

Mike

On 08/06/2022 at 12:47, bootneck said:

Can anyone here please advise if the Bedford MW, such as the Gekko MWC tanker, has the same chassis and basic (lower part) cab as the OY? 

'Morning Mike.

I can't verify that for sure, but what I can do, if you want, is supply you with 1/35th scale drawings of both the OYD and the MWC, along with a few photos. Let me know if that will be of any use.

John.

Duh! like I'm not going to want anything like that.  :rofl:  Just make sure that your hands are clear of them when you send them over, otherwise I might just bite them off!

YES PLEASE John!!   :partytime:

Mike

Hello DA,

those look interesting and I didn't know about them before, not that I know very much about vehicle kit availability.   I've had a look and see that they are in the Czech Republic and sell at 65 euros, add 20% VAT plus approx. £15 postage and that adds to around £80 which puts them out of my spending budget.  I would have to save up for one, perhaps for Christmas.   Thank you for the link though, I shall just enjoy looking at the pictures. :D

Cheers,
Mike

I believe that the Accurate Armour OYs were £80+ when they were last available, so the price seems competitive.  But that doesn't mean affordable.   But scratchbuilding the complex OX/OY cab will not be easy.

MMK is a brand that is not widely stocked anywhere, like so many of these resin brands.  AFAIK no-one in the UK stocks it.  A couple of Czech stores like Obchod Valka do stock it but at much higher prices.  Which suggests that the prices on the MMK site are tax-exclusive.   Their new Cockatrice looks interesting but it's €56 on MMK's site and €75 at Obchod Valka, for example.  Unfortunately their amateurish site doesn't give you totals, tax or shipping.  You submit your order and then they let you know the total cost.  Which might be a nasty shock........... 

I don't imagine that MMK have registered to collect UK VAT.  While this means that you can buy without sales tax you will be charged 20% import VAT plus the £8 Royal Mail processing fee.  That's £8 regardless of value and VAT is not charged on shipping.  On the other hand they may fib on the customs declaration: as far as I can determine there is no effective policing and no way of Border Force checking that the sender is registered or actually collecting.  Nor the staff resources to check every one of the millions of parcels that come in through the international mail hubs every day.  So you might get away with it.  Over £135 you are liable for the VAT anyway.

I have built MMK's Bedford OXA and I have to say that it was hard work, which is not a good advert for them.......  You can find the build blogs on here.  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235040382-mmk-models-bedford-oxa/  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235042506-bedford-oxa-anti-tank-lorry-mmk-resin-hair-tearing/

Wespe Models may have some things that might interest you too.  Their prices seem more reasonable and they have a 15% off sale on at the moment. kits. https://www.wespemodels.com/military_models/military_models_scale_1_35

That OXA looks to be a real lesson in resin kit building.  I am interested in your comment about the Model Air G3 green, which actual Model Air number is that?  It does look good on your model.

Mike