Hawker Tempest F.6 1/48 – an Eduard kitbash

Hi chaps,
Just finished this, and it will appear in Scale Aircraft Modelling in the next issue. This is Eduard's Mk V kit converted to the F.6 version using their Mk II Overtrees kit. Decals are from the Mk V kit, plus Aeromaster's old Storms in the Sky part VI sheet.  It's NX204 of 6 Sqn, based at RAF Deversoir, Egypt 1949, flown by Sqn. Ldr. Denis Crowley-Milling ( Air Marshal Sir Denis Crowley-Milling, KCB, CBE, DSO, DFC & Bar, AE to give him his full final title!). MRP and Mr Color paints on the main, and 90 gallon ferry tanks from an Airfix Sea Fury.

hNrJVdf.jpg

ZcUbNuj.jpg

ieDh7fY.jpg

Hope you like her!

Cheers
Jonners

• Like 60
  • Thanks 2

Great build, and good to see you back. I miss your work in progress posts.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Holzhamer said:

Beautiful model, I can only echo gents above.

I do confess my ignorance regarding the Tempest, so can you tell me what are the major differences between this version and a Mk.V? Thanks

Thank everyone- I'm glad you like her.  I'll try and post a few more things too, but time and deadlines mean it's just difficult sometimes (oft-times)!

Holzhamer- the main difference between the V and 6 was the engine was uprated to a new more powerful versions which necessitated moving thew car intakes ot the own roots, to give greater cooling area for the radiator. When the RAF decided to use the F.6 in the Middle East, it was found that the additional oil cooling was also needed (the oil cooler having been moved to behind the radiator on the 6) so an extra oil cooler was installed in the starboard wing leading edge ( effectively giving the same wing as the radial engines Mk II). This means the radiator front on the 6 is  'flat' without the characteristic circular central oil cooler and carb intake that the Typhoon and Tempest V used – and that changes the look quite a lot I think. A desert survival kit was also installed- hence the two water bottles behind the headrest. The Mk 6 was also the only Tempest to be cleared to use the MK VIII 'zero length' RP launchers too, and also, was often seen with an additional air filter mounted centreline behind the radiator (as on mine) to filter sandy air when taxing and ground running. It cut off automatically when the undercarriage was raised, and returned air ingress to the wing root intakes.

Effectively thats it.

cheers

Jonners

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

That looks fantastic Jonners, a scheme I have long thought to replicate in 1/72 but have always stalled on a lack of references. As far as I have been aware, it was unproven this scheme was worn by 6 sqn. I would be prepared to do it as a whif, so good does it look, as witnessed by your beautiful build. To find that it also has reputable provenance would thrill me to bits. KP do a 1/72 one of this same aircraft at Derversoir but in Dark Green, Ocean Grey (?DSG) & Medium Sea Grey, I could always use the decals & use the Tropical scheme with them.

Steve.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 3:04 AM, hopkp said:

Very nice, that's something just a little bit different! Is there much 'fettling' needed to get the wings from the Mk.II kit to fit the Mk.V fuselage?

HI- there's a little work to do as the Mk V and Mk II kits use a different wing tooling from each other in terms of how it fits to the fuselage, but its not tricky.

cheers

Jonners

• Thanks 1

At the risk being unoriginal I’ll just have to echo everybody else and say what a beautiful model :D

As a former 6 squadron man myself I love the gunner’s stripe on the tail.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1

Great model, lovely paintwork.

Having initially not read Fritags comments above, I was about to say whoever at the Air Ministry or on the Sqn came up with the gunner stripe on the tail idea needed shooting LOL....

• Like 1