CF-104 1st Canada Air Group

Beazer

Originally planned for a 101 Voodoo (but that kinetic kit is pure garbage) so instead I’ll jump in the big pool with what I’m sure is a lot of these starfighters.

Building it OOB aside from adding a brass pitot tube, and of course in the 1CAG colours.

52129827597_7f907ee245_b.jpg

52131087559_7833c095ff_b.jpg

• Like 7

52130870038_4373db75bb_b.jpg

Have had a hard time nailing down the colours I want for the fuselage.  Going over multiple sources, I’m still left at a loss.

Tamiya XF-51 would be the closest to the starfighters that served in Canada however it is known that the Brit sourced paint was a more richer green in colour.  Judging photos I am leaning on Vallejos NATO Green and hoping the wash subdues it a touch.

Not sure if this accurate but I’m basing this off pics and FS numbers.

The eduard photoetch avionics have the wrong gray so I’ll need to adjust that before I finish the cockpit tub up.

• Like 4

Welcome to the GB.

Starfighters are always going to be welcome here and a Canadian one particularly so.

Sounds like you have done your research on the shade of green used and I think your selection of NATO green is a pretty good one, the only way to be really sure though is to paint a test piece.

🇺🇦

52152261994_7ba770c456_b.jpg

Some work done on the interior today, need to flat coat and gloss the instruments and then I should be able to close up the fuselage!

• Like 6

52167189574_c2b63d5e0c_b.jpg

This was not fun to put together as I had no way to avoid steps/ridge in certain areas or glaring openings.

Many different types of glues were used and many clamps.  Fortunately the nose cone has a seamless attachment to the fuselage,  ut it still has quite the ridge on one of the mating surfaces.  I don’t know how people make this kit with all metal paint schemes lol.

• Like 3

The Hasegawa F-104 does have quite a few joints to take care of due to the way the kit has been broken down to accommodate the many versions of the Zipper covered by them and sometimes they aren't the best fit. It looks like you have done some good work and achieved a good result.

🇺🇦

On 6/23/2022 at 9:12 AM, Beazer said:

52167189574_c2b63d5e0c_b.jpg

This was not fun to put together as I had no way to avoid steps/ridge in certain areas or glaring openings.

Many different types of glues were used and many clamps.  Fortunately the nose cone has a seamless attachment to the fuselage,  ut it still has quite the ridge on one of the mating surfaces.  I don’t know how people make this kit with all metal paint schemes lol.

count yourself lucky you're not building my 32 italeri. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well the instructions indicated the console gets put in AFTER the fuselage and nose comes together…

well that is not the case so now I’m going to have to figure out how to fit the console in the nose without breaking or damaging the model.  It seems apparent it’s a pretty tight fit so I’m thinking the razor saw is going to have to come out.

• Sad 2

Well, it's been +30 all week up here, so she's burning but I was able to do it.

Had to quarter the instrument panel and superglue it.  It doesn't look great, but good enough.  I'm going to have a fun enough time with the sanding soon and I've got a whole slew more Canadian models that I'm going to have to build.

• 2 weeks later...
52201444543_07b16378f0_b.jpg

Finished all the sanding and touching up certain areas.  The exhaust are opened up a seam on me when I was testing the nozzle so I’ll have to go and fix that once it’s installed.  It leave a sizeable gap but should be simple to fix.

Poked myself with the brass pitot, I’m happy it didn’t bend.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Beazer said:

52201444543_07b16378f0_b.jpg

Finished all the sanding and touching up certain areas.  The exhaust are opened up a seam on me when I was testing the nozzle so I’ll have to go and fix that once it’s installed.  It leave a sizeable gap but should be simple to fix.

Poked myself with the brass pitot, I’m happy it didn’t bend.

Your tip tank fins are mounted backwards.

Jens

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dansk said:

so many people seem to do this. it's so common. twice in this gb already.

I thought they were wrong!  
Guess that’s what I get for following the instructions.

Easy fix, thanks.

On 7/9/2022 at 3:58 AM, Beazer said:

I thought they were wrong!  
Guess that’s what I get for following the instructions.

Easy fix, thanks.

I would be surprised if the instructions show them fitted backwards. ;)

Jens

22 hours ago, Beazer said:

Trying my hand at doing some paint weathering to lighten up the panels on the upper surfaces.

You will be positively surprised! It‘s a great method, the possibilities are endless. 

nice work so far!