Hi from Wales

Mattp7999

Hi everybody!

Decided to get back into this hobby which have been on and off with since I was a kid. Recently building up my supplies and stash ready to start my first new build in about 10 years... 😮. Used to be into AFV's and also aircraft, think I'm most likely to be building Aircraft rather than AFV's now, really into US aircraft of WW2, mostly US Navy aircraft. Currently on the bench.. when it all get sets up ready will be a Tamiya Brewster F2A-2 Buffalo.

Many thanks

Matt

• Like 1

Hi Matt,

Welcome back to the hobby and welcome to the forum.  There's lots of very nice people here who are happy to share hints and tips. 

I'm a great fan of WW2 aircraft (especially fighters) and there's some great US Navy types. Having expressed my love for fighters,  my next US build is likely to be an Avenger!

All the best 

Peter 

• Like 1

Thank you both for the welcome.

I can recall building the Accurate Miniatures 1/48th Scale Avenger many moons ago when Accurate Minatures was still around.. tempted to get one again as I understand its now reboxed by Academy.. tempting 🙂

Many regards Matt

• Like 1

Hehe 😉 

Totally understand, It’s soo exciting !!!

There is soooo much out there - from kits, to tools to paint to consumable media (podcasts for example are a MASSIVE source of entertainment for me!!!) 

The biggest challenge is not going broke buying all the amazing stuff in offer ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I found youtube recently.. not having bothered with it as didn't really associate it with any of my hobbies. Low and behold to find it full of modelling channels and various other stuff.. yes totally agree on that trying to be restrained 😄

Hi Matt, welcome to Britmodeller from another Welshie (there are quite a few on here), I'm not that far from you as I'm in Neath.

There are some great guides on You Tube, but there is also a huge depth of knowledge here on BM too, don't be afraid to ask anything you might need to know, there's usually someone who can help 👍

• Like 1

Thanks Ant shall do so, Indeed not too far away indeed 🙂  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Regards Matt

36 minutes ago, Vapouriser said:

Hehe 😉 

Totally understand, It’s soo exciting !!!

There is soooo much out there - from kits, to tools to paint to consumable media (podcasts for example are a MASSIVE source of entertainment for me!!!) 

The biggest challenge is not going broke buying all the amazing stuff in offer ..

Hmm...Mrs Stickler thinks that I'm joking when I say that I'd have to sell a kidney to buy all the stuff that I want (rather than need) but, you know, it might just be worth it! I mean you only need one kidney but you need dozens/hundreds of kits, brushes, tools, etc!

• Haha 1

Lol, defintely... I'm slowly building up my stash again.. got 6 kits at the moment... but always looking for more. And defintely considering an airbrush and compressor..  we shall see. 

8 hours ago, Mattp7999 said:

Lol, defintely... I'm slowly building up my stash again.. got 6 kits at the moment... but always looking for more. And defintely considering an airbrush and compressor..  we shall see. 

It started for me when I stumbled over a Revell 1:72 Dassault Mirage kit in our local charity shop for 50p (and a 1:144 F117A - but having looked at it, it is too small for my clumsy digits!!) 

I had bought it to do with my son, but then lockdown happened and I figured I’d have a go…. Used the included paints/brushes and glue and, well, it was assembled. Looking at it now it looks like it was completed by my 🐈‍⬛, the finish on the paintwork is really quite special! But making it reminded me just how much I loved the process. I went up into the loft, found my collection of Humbrol enamels and brushes from the 80’s and slowly started learning how to get better. I built a 1:72 airfix Spit, ME109 and FW190 - each one slowly getting better. I invested in a whole load of new Humbrol paints (only to find that they are NOTHING like as good as the ones I still had from 40 years ago :( )

I then started experimenting with Vallejo and Tamiya (the latter are pretty awful with a brush) but Vallejo Model Colour, Metals and even Model Air all brush on very nicely when thinned a little. At this point I built an Airfix Skyhawk - and I was really pleased with it. I had much improved ! Skills like Seam work,  careful sanding, decal solutions, masking and washes/weathering were all starting to come into play. Hardly anything I would want to post somewhere like here, but it was progress..

I had put a couple of cheap Tamiya 1:48’s in the stash and really wanted to take one on, but felt that an airbrush was needed for a model of that surface area. Well as luck would have it a very nice customer gifted me his backup compressor and a badger 150 ❤️ 

Well that was 2 months ago and I have already learned so much (although still very much a padawan) and I am again pleased with the improvements in my own output. The F15 is coming on nicely and new skills are being discovered almost every time I sit down ‘at the bench’ 

After all that rambling I almost forgot why I started…… But it was to say that I would wholeheartedly recommend an airbrush. If you look over Facebook marketplace long enough, there will be someone knocking out a basic setup  for £50 - often a failed makeup/tanning enterprisei 😂 but it’s enough to get you going and see if you take to it. 
Alternativley you often see a decent Iwata combo come up for a couple of hundred quid (a big saving)

Or you could talk to Martin at Aircraftnet who will help you and for  around £300 you get a lovely new Sparmax tanked compressor and brush.
For me it was a massive eye opener, and the finish you can get is just otherworldly (unless you are fortunate enough to be one of the few Uber Brush 🥷’s we have on here 😂

Ive just done ALL of this process - so please ask if you wish to learn of any of my successes or failures !! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vapouriser said:

Tamiya (the latter are pretty awful with a brush)

The big trick with brushing Tamiya paints is multiple very watered down coats. Trick being to build up color density as you go. Let them dry before the next cost as well. 

• Like 1

I've never had many problems with Tamiya paint, in fact I prefer them to enamels. I've used Aeromaster Acrylics which were great.. (and then they went out of production), the used Polly S Acrylics.. (and then they went out of production...) then used Hannants Xtracolour and Xtracrylics which were great and continue to use alongside Tamiya. I had to bin my Humbrols as they were all so old and dried up. 

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The big trick with brushing Tamiya paints is multiple very watered down coats. Trick being to build up color density as you go. Let them dry before the next cost as well. 

Interesting - I’ve not tried that method. 
when you say ‘watered’ down - with what exactly are you using as the thinning agent ? 

27 minutes ago, Vapouriser said:

Interesting - I’ve not tried that method. 
when you say ‘watered’ down - with what exactly are you using as the thinning agent ? 

Ive used both water and Isopropyl alcohol. In fact i usually alway dip a brush into Tamiya thinner or Iso when painting cockpits and such as it leaves less brush strokes. This is Tamiya XF-2 white on a Hurricane I did a couple of years ago. Thats about 3-4 brushed on coats. qioU41e.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vapouriser said:

Agreed @Corsairfoxfouruncle I too ALWAYS dip my brush in appropriate medium prior to going into the paint - it makes it so much easier on the long term health and cleaning of the brush ! 
But interesting to see you have mastered the purely brush application of tamiya this way :) 

Ive tried but @PlaStix is the master at brush painting. I just tried my best to emulate him.