1/43 Ferrari 512S, Sebring 1970

I completed this a couple of years ago. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I started with the DAM kit but quickly realised it wasn't particularly accurate - it looked though it had been squashed.  I then found another 512S kit by FDS.  This had the later style of rear bodywork, so I made modifications to accept the slatted rear window in place of the clear version.  Also carried over from the DAM kit were the mirrors.

I scratch built the large cooling intake on the right hand side, and the smaller intake on the left.  The clear cover over the cockpit vents was vac-formed from a master carved from Milliput filler.  The photo-etched brass in the kit was thick, and tough to cut, so the trailing edge parts of the rear spoilers, and the vents over the rear wheels were cut from plastic card.

Wheels and tyres are by Remember.  The decals with the DAM kit disintegrated on contact with water (despite a good coating of decal film) so I had a rummage amongst my decal bank to find suitable substitutes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This was the winning car at the 1970 Sebring 12 hour race, only overtaking the Steve McQueen/Pete Revson Porsche 908 Spyder after Mario Andretti (whose car had retired with gearbox problems) was transferred to the Giunti/Vaccarella car in the final hour of the race.

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 20

Great work Trevor looks superb 👏 👌 👍 I shall be tackling one of these in the near future albeit a slightly larger scale 🙂👍

15 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Good job! I've just finished the Hostaro 512S as the #3 BOAC 1000 car.

The Hostaro kits are much nicer than DAM or FDS.  Looking forward to seeing your 512S, especially as I saw it race in the BOAC 1000.

Trevor

6 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Great work Trevor looks superb 👏 👌 👍 I shall be tackling one of these in the near future albeit a slightly larger scale 🙂👍

Thanks very much.  Good luck with your model.

Trevor

• Like 2

21 hours ago, klubman01 said:

The Hostaro kits are much nicer than DAM or FDS.  Looking forward to seeing your 512S, especially as I saw it race in the BOAC 1000.

Trevor

As promised:

52132113284_296e98d472_z.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, desert falcon said:

That’s a beautiful Ferrari Trevor, the wheels are also looking really good 👍 

Thanks very much.  The wheels and tyres are aftermarket items by Remember.

Trevor

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kitkent said:

That’s really nice Trevor,loving the rear wheel vents myself. Are the Remember wheels already gold coloured? 
Chris.

Thanks Chris.  The rims are gold coloured turned metal, but the central spoked parts are injection moulded plastic and need to be painted.

Trevor

Thanks very much.  I'm so used to working in 1/43 that I don't really think about it. 

The main attraction for me is the huge range of models that is available.  Added to which, there are so many aftermarket parts available to enhance even the most basic kit (and some of them are really basic, believe me).

Trevor