Ushi 1/72nd Mitsubishi J4M Senden 'Flashing Lightning' (Luke) experimental interceptor.

Hi all, thought it was about time I posted something so here's another paper project for your perusal, an unrealized Japanese interceptor/fighter project design. This is Ushi Model's take on the Mitsubishi J4M Senden 'Flashing Lightning' or Navy Experimental 17-Shi Otsu B Type Interceptor Fighter. The aircraft was to be built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries for the Imperial Japanese Navy, and although it d not proceed beyond the design stage, the performance, on paper at least, should have been impressive. Powered by a single  Mitsubishi MK9D 18-cyl. two-row fan assisted air-cooled radial piston engine the J4M's top speed would have been around 470mph. The aircraft was given the allied reporting name of 'Luke'. A high-quality resin kit, (so it should be at £50) of an unusual subject combining 3D printed parts and clear resin canopy with traditional resin casting.  It'll be interesting to compare it with MikroMir's styrene release which, of course, is slightly cheaper plus they'll be releasing the Sakae turbojet powered version. Ushi Models have released a few very interesting types including the Tachikawa Ki-94-1 'push-me-pull-you' and Beriev's bizarre B10M seaplane with future releases to include the Kogiken Ki-202 (evolved Me-163) and Nakajima Ki-201 (similar to the Me-262).

Finished using MRP lacquers, Abteinlung502 and Wilder oils and AK washes. I decided to give it a late-war tatty appearance as worn by many Japanese aircraft in the closing stages of the conflict, using AK's Worn Effects and Chipping fluid. As you can imagine, with its undercarriage arrangement, the thing is a natural tail-sitter and required a LOT of Liquid Gravity stuffed into every space available (what there was of it). It still only just manages to stand up, luckily the gear is made from hard black resin and more than up to the job. This one was built for Airfix Model World and appeared in the May issue.

Cheers and thanks for looking, hope it appeals to a few of you.:cheers:

Melchie san

1-AGD-1898-2.jpg

2-AGD-1903-2.jpg

3-AGD-1904-2.jpg

4-AGD-1905-2.jpg

5-AGD-1890-2.jpg

7-AGD-2527.jpg

8-AGD-2525.jpg

9-AGD-2529.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 39

Stunning build of this stunning design. Guess this took some weight to bring it on its wheels.

Japanese aircraft designers had some really innovative ideas.

• Thanks 1

Thanks chaps, your kind words are always appreciated. 

I'm assuming the front set of grills is the intake and the rear grills the exhaust? 

Apparently so Pete, due to the aerodynamic design, the big MK9D radial engine air was to be fed using a turbo fan assisted cooling system with enclosed exhausts ejecting through the rear slots. The slippery design was needed to push it to over 470 mph.

Guess this took some weight to bring it on its wheels.

Japanese aircraft designers had some really innovative ideas.

Thanks Bernd, yes, even now it doesn't always want to stay on its legs. The undercarriage could be angled back slightly to help but that wasn't how it was designed so it's just a case of placing weight wherever possible ahead of the CG and hope. The Japanese certainly had some interesting designs in the works including a jet powered version of the Senden.

• general melchett changed the title to Ushi 1/72nd Mitsubishi J4M Senden 'Flashing Lightning' (Luke) experimental interceptor.