Help with P-51D-15 manual?

Bozothenutter

Help!

I'm looking for cockpit images of a -15, specifically the sidewalls.

The Manual I have is from 1945, and has later version cockpit pics.

I'm looking for a manual that has images from a -15, specifically the cockpit sidewalls.

added side quest...

any way to find out what spec a mustang was built with?

44-15041 Petie 3rd.

I have the Eduard kit, with their Brassin cockpit.

They give three possible configs for a D-15+, but do not tell you what the boxes etc are...😒

Edited by Bozothenutter
added sidequest

Assuming spec = block number. then

Index of AF Serial Numbers Assigned to Aircraft 1958 and Prior.  Prepared by: Procurement Division, Programmed Procurement Branch,  Reports Section, MCPPSR, AF-WP-O-APR 61 250.  The copy I downloaded was in 4 parts, PDF, but I cannot locate the notes on which site it came from, and so far searches have not found it.

44-14853/15252 from North American Inglewood P-51D-15, quantity 400 on program J, funds PR, source AC contract No 40064 dated 21-Jul-43

• Thanks 1

Maybe this helps:

P-51D 19441120 Pilot Manual Cover

P-51D IP

P-51D Left Console

P-51D Right Console

The above may still be too late for you. You go a little earlier in time and you hit the A, B and C pilot manuals. 

Also worth going onto Eduard's site and looking at the instruction downloads. It does give you a hint of their intentions in the plastic. For example my kit 82102 has options for Blocks 10, 15, and 20 aircraft. Their instructions show the sidewall options for the variation between Block 10 and 15 aircraft (labelled schemes A,B and C)  and Block 20 (labelled D, E and F) as follows:

Eduard Sidewall Instructions

You can also study their 'Look' instrument panels to see their proposed instrument panel variations differences if required. 

Sorry not a definitive answer.

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But, I see what you mean 🙄

P-51D Eduard Brassin options

It is so nice for kit manufacturer's to provide us with all the options, covering everyone, but they need to start giving more information on what the options are for. Like Block numbers and changes in detail. They have done the research now tell us more. 

Ray

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

It is so nice for kit manufacturer's to provide us with all the options, covering everyone, but they need to start giving more information on what the options are for. Like Block numbers and changes in detail. They have done the research now tell us more. 

Ray

That is especially true for their 72nd Fokker D.VIIs!

Later,

Dave

3 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Maybe this helps:

P-51D 19441120 Pilot Manual Cover

P-51D IP

P-51D Left Console

P-51D Right Console

The above may still be too late for you. You go a little earlier in time and you hit the A, B and C pilot manuals. 

Also worth going onto Eduard's site and looking at the instruction downloads. It does give you a hint of their intentions in the plastic. For example my kit 82102 has options for Blocks 10, 15, and 20 aircraft. Their instructions show the sidewall options for the variation between Block 10 and 15 aircraft (labelled schemes A,B and C)  and Block 20 (labelled D, E and F) as follows:

Eduard Sidewall Instructions

You can also study their 'Look' instrument panels to see their proposed instrument panel variations differences if required. 

Sorry not a definitive answer.

Ray

Your '44 manual shows the same pic as the '45 manual, neither matches any of the configs of the EDU sidewall...

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

But, I see what you mean 🙄

Ray

This, AND the images in the instructions are labelled A, B, C, D as well!

Was thinking my brain had gone until I realized they weren't related....🤯

P-51D-15+ doesn't really cover it!

1 hour ago, Bozothenutter said:

Your '44 manual shows the same pic as the '45 manual, neither matches any of the configs of the EDU sidewall...

The subtleties of the mods are not often captured in the pilot manual. We need a P-51 expert to chime in and explain what were the cockpit changes in the D model. I am thinking radio receiver and fuel management for starters.

Eduard has really tried to cover all bases. So, you're getting the mods and then usually there is the further additional options broken down by material -  resin or plastic or PE or decals - all thrown in. My head is spinning. For the P-51 expert, Eduard can say we have given you all the options. For the rest of us, the escape clause "check your references".

I have to admit though that Brassin cockpit looks lovely. I must buy one for my P-51 build.

Ray

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ray_W said:

For the P-51 expert, Eduard can say we have given you all the options. For the rest of us, the escape clause "check your references".

🤣 that is just what somebody told me on WW2AIRCRAFT.NET......

The set is really, really nice, there are whisper thin supports on some of the handles and levers, with due care, they can even  be removed!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

that is just what somebody told me on WW2AIRCRAFT.NET......

🤣🤣🤣 Tiring isn't it? I have been checking some of my references. Still no clear answer.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Ray_W said:

🤣🤣🤣 Tiring isn't it? I have been checking some of my references. Still no clear answer.

Must admit though, the same guy gave an almost sensible answer to my query though....

"I have to admit I have been almost sure you had the kit. The key for the correct set of the cockpit parts is the letter at the left top corner of each of page with the profiles of the P-51D coming with the kit. There are profiles marked with A,B,C,D,E,F..

the profile A is for the P-51D-10 ... and this is the first line of the table of the alternate parts
the profiles B and C are for P-51D-15 ... the second and third lines of the table
the profile D,E,F are for P-51D-20 ... the fourth line of the table."

I checked with their 04176 weekend edition P-51D-20, and it doesn't add up, as that kit has an 'A' option as well. (they recommend the set I have for this)
they don't do a -20 cockpit (a -20 would still be a -15+?), but do have a -5 and F-6 set.
curiouser and curiouser......

5 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

the profile A is for the P-51D-10 ... and this is the first line of the table of the alternate parts
the profiles B and C are for P-51D-15 ... the second and third lines of the table
the profile D,E,F are for P-51D-20 ... the fourth line of the table

If the link between the kit instructions for Profipack 82102 and the Brassin kit are as described by this author, or, to put it another way, through P-51D knowledge it can be recognised that Brassin B & C are for Block 15's and Brassin D is for Block 20 then we are getting closer. Here again is the Brassin table for reference. 

I can find nothing in either sets of instructions that links the kit 82102's D-15 profiles (B,C) to Brassin row B and C or the D-20 profiles (D,E,F) to Brassin row D. Maybe I missed it. 

I interpreted the 15+ as any block numbers 15 and greater.

To save the agony, I fired off an enquiry to Eduard for clarification.

Ray

Watching this with anticipation as have just had delivered Eduard's P-51D-20 Weekend kit which I am planning on doing as Chuck Yeager's Glamourous Glen III which was a P-51D-15. So the info will be very useful 🙂

9 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

The actual thread:

The link to the thread doesn't work. I did go over to the thread anyway and read through it. Another great explanation by Wurger providing a wealth of detail assisting you to make your own decisions.

I still can't see a clear reference between the two sets of instructions thinking the correlations of the letters was more of a fluke than intentional. If the latter, why not label it row A, row B, row C and row DEF or give it a block numbers to alleviate all confusion. I still think it was a case of cover all the options. Eduard's response will be interesting.

Ray

• Like 1

Updated to a working link.

I agree the correlation may have been a fluke, as you need the cockpit set to match the decal options. Then the -20 came out, and the only way to correlate that to the cockpit is if you have the original D kit, where the last few options are -20...

The P-51D Parts Catalog could be of some help though it might take a fair bit of work.

So 44-15041 has the code DB next to all parts that are applicable to that airframe. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

The P-51D Parts Catalog could be of some help though it might take a fair bit of work.

So 44-15041 has the code DB next to all parts that are applicable to that airframe. 

Had a quick peek.....😱

Where to begin indeed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

Had a quick peek.....😱

Where to begin indeed!

You think thats bad, a couple of months ago I bought a set of drawings for the P-47 and it contains over 15,000 PDF files!

• Sad 1