Hasegawa 1/72 SBD-3 Dauntless 'Midway'

You really went an extra mile to detail this kit and achieved a superb result. 👍 I love how you detailed the dive brakes which surely involved a lot of effort. Since it includes the option to build it with open dive brakes the new Flyhawk kit is certainly an improvement as you have pointed out above and I hope that they will release all the other SBD versions and the A-24 as well. Still, the Hasegawa kit is a nice kit and was a great leap forward when it was released back in the 1990s. At that time the only other Dauntless that was available in 1/72 scale was the ancient Airfix kit. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Volksjager said:

Your weathering on this is superb. Love the staining around the cowling and the overall colours used. Well done

8 hours ago, KeithA said:

That's a beautiful build - really impressive.

7 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

If you had told me that was 1/32 not only would I have believed you, I would have thought you’d done an outstanding job on it.

This is simply exquisite. 

7 hours ago, Zigomar said:

Pretty neat model! Kudos.

22 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Wow how is that 1/72!? Impressive.

7 hours ago, Pantherhawk27263 said:

Absolutely amazing!! Very well done. 

Thank you all. I'm glad this small model looks convincing enough to you guys. 

7 hours ago, Taylor Durbon said:

I‘m truly not a fan of the Dauntless. But your crisp build of these speedbrakes and this realy nice paintjob are worth to look at. 👍

Yes, I can see that this is not a very interesting plane. With the canopy closed and no bomb attached, it looks almost like a boring trainer. 

6 hours ago, 112 Squadron said:

You really went an extra mile to detail this kit and achieved a superb result. 👍 I love how you detailed the dive brakes which surely involved a lot of effort. Since it includes the option to build it with open dive brakes the new Flyhawk kit is certainly an improvement as you have pointed out above and I hope that they will release all the other SBD versions and the A-24 as well. Still, the Hasegawa kit is a nice kit and was a great leap forward when it was released back in the 1990s. At that time the only other Dauntless that was available in 1/72 scale was the ancient Airfix kit. 

Thank you. The flaps are really what make the biggest difference in this build. It is also the item that put me off for a long time. Flyhawk Dauntless is a gem of a kit. The plastic flaps are thicker but should be good enough. I hope someone will release a TBD Devastator in 1:72. Hard to believe Airfix is still the only option in 2022. 

4 hours ago, Toryu said:

Excellent, and really well weathered! A 1/72 gem.

Thank you! I hope the weathering is not too heavy. 

Nanond

• Like 3

On 6/8/2022 at 12:59 AM, Jackson Duvalier said:

Beautiful work, Nanond, especially the flaps.  

I've built this aircraft from the same kit, or at least I got 95% done then snapped a landing gear leg just as Flyhawk announced their new tooling, so it's gathering dust now. 

I was pretty much in the same situation as you do when I pulled this one out and finished it. Now I'll have to do the Flyhawk one quickly. It will look good side by side. I think I'll finish it as one at the battle of the coral sea. 

Thanks all for your kind comments!

Cheers!
Nanond

• Haha 1

That is very impressive.

How on Earth do you get your canopy framing so sharp and the transparent parts co clear? I do struggle with that, especially on aircraft like this with such a 'greenhouse' affair.

Thanks for sharing your work.

• Like 1