Appetiser - Fujimi 1/72 Nakajima C6N2 Saiun kai [Done]

alt-92

Returning from a break and have found a jar of mojo \o/ 

This is Fujimi's C6N kit with parts that include the sole turbocharged C6N2 prototype - next to the B7N another one of the lesser known IJN aircraft.
The C6N proved to be the fastest Japanese plane, matching the F6F Hellcats and therefore making it almost uncatchable when doing its recce job. 

y4mlBAdClElPmm3bQtGYUXzxkB_uHGAzIVf35MuZ

• Like 12

Great!

I had hope to see some of the less well known Japanese aircraft of WWII in this GB and that is certainly happening.

Pete

• Like 1

On 06/06/2022 at 22:02, alt-92 said:

This is Fujimi's C6N kit 

y4mlBAdClElPmm3bQtGYUXzxkB_uHGAzIVf35MuZ

How on earth did you know what it was from the description on the box ? :shrug:

Best of luck

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 3

welcome along, and another fine and interesting choice for the build.

It is great to see all the varied and lesser known aircraft popping up in the build. 

This is another aircraft I've never heard of and great to see here.

Interestingly one of the version you can build is a Nightfighter! I like a lot! There looks to be about 9 releases of various version of this aircraft by Fujimi, plus I see Hasegawa has a 1/48th version with 30mm cannon!!! Hmm tempting! :hmmm:

Well good luck with this build, should be a great one to follow.

On 6/8/2022 at 8:30 AM, JOCKNEY said:

How on earth did you know what it was from the description on the box ? :shrug:

Best of luck

Cheers Pat 

he could be lying to us Pat!!!  :D

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 10:55 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Good point, I hadn't thought of that  :doh:

The boxing appears to contain parts for the C6N1 Model 11, the modified C6N1-S night fighter with a cannon mounted obliquely in the rear cockpit, and the turbocharged C6N2 Model 12 though it seems as if very few of the latter were made. Over the years Fujimi have released it frequently, mostly just as the C6N1, but some boxings like this cover the whole range, though the description (which I can't read) clearly mentions Model 11 twice! According to Francillon in the Putnam book, a C6N1 was the last Japanese aircraft shot down 5 minutes before the ceasefire came into effect.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2022 at 1:58 PM, PeterB said:

turbocharged C6N2 Model 12 though it seems as if very few of the latter were made.

Only one, from what I've read. Which makes it interesting. And yes, this boxing contains all three variants - and it's a domestic market boxing so great  fun decyphering the destructions :D

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Only one, from what I've read. Which makes it interesting. And yes, this boxing contains all three variants - and it's a domestic market boxing so great  fun decyphering the destructions :D

Yes, I have built a few with Japanese only instructions, particularly the ones Tony Walker imported direct from Japan, but they were not difficult kits and the diagrams were pretty much self explanatory. This may be a bit more complicated though! I have both Bunrin Do and Maru Mechanics books on this plane, and whilst they too are in Japanese, the diagrams and photos might be useful if you run into any problems.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

The interior of the Fujimi kit is a bit - shall we say - bare?

So I grabbed the instructions for a 1/48 Hase kit and added some bits here and there to make it more interesting. Even though the canopy isn't the best out there.

Ribbing and equipment boxes, and a rear bulkhead.

I believe the mystery guide also refers to adding an extra instrument panel somewhere in there. 

y4mR118n-CJRO06Hj6zIJ3_v4jtUeQE9TAB9XzHf

How it looks from the top:

y4mgZMV2d_3Uh_yjFa3lEll9jl_H_O3AkkGfk2yd

• Like 5

It's beginning to look like christmas an aircraft. 
y4m4QShi2vo58v8E1pGWUKRm6TjukxRZwqC7RXXH

Some small seam improvement on the top, and I mustn't forget to add the rear IP - but otherwise time for masking the canopy.
Also mixed some cowling blue-black (no-one seems to have the MRP one in store, weird...).

The cowling is a 2-piece affair, with the turbo housing that partly should be done in IJN grey. Masking, yay.

The underside needs a bit more work, but that's ok. 
Liquid mask on the windows.
y4mD-BcA8g6M07AxHzKXySiRAPQxdf2PygkzbClC

• Like 5

she is coming along very nicely!

I have similar problems with MRP paints here, we only have one supplier in Oz, and they're alway out of most of the colours!!!!

• Like 1

Undercoat of MRP's IJN Ash Grey.

Prop painted brown (AK Tea brown)

y4m7fcP0OXkpR2cw3UsJf1Wlg4EUo9GAOF1Cg6E7 

With only small modifications, the Dead Design masks for the Sword C6N fit the Fujimi (which has it's dedicated mask set but dumb-as-bricks here picked the wrong one)

y4m52HzSaZN3AoK2-qo7B82jcYSDKtTGiZ5yREgY

After fitting the DF loop and central compass, the canopy was glued on - only a small overhang on the front, which was filled in with vallejo plastic putty.
Then, a first thin coat of Mr.Hobby H-61 IJN Dark green. As this is not the definite colour, I'll use this as a base.

y4meUU8XyA3bySA3WhSG7i1cGzjgSS4fTh7XEr48

Next step was multiple thin coats of MRP D2 Black Green, allowing for a bit of fading (hence the thin base). 
The engine mount is a snap-fit here, so added for looks.

y4meDcUY_OAbxBPjBNVn_Wdkubq4Uxe3T4UG0SGr

Closer inspection shows that a few touch-ups are needed. 
At least the exhaust & turbo look OK :)
y4m_FHv-pkxcYU9oKZC6S6yFx-CRvhJt8QNHEzeB

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

IJN D2 Green (MRP) on, and decal time. 

y4masxr1AN6LkBsVIxNVXIA7kBCqsmdyLeeNTG39

Getting close-up macros revealed a dodgy seam on the engine part - rework in progress.

Still, we're nearly there.

y4mTWIq5uFI2BaEw9hFtPC_ln1YgAQfGjHPNSyF-

That's a big engine for such a light airframe!

y4mMQHbPQC2zI1NWMwxQcRU6bshY3OnjpAES1t6t

• Like 3

20 hours ago, alt-92 said:

It's a big engine for such a light airframe!

Well, they did hope it would be fast enough to outrun the USN fighters when it overflew their carriers!

Nice build.

Pete

And done. 
After adding the Fujimi decals (which look thick but apply pretty good with warm water and Microset/sol), a satin coat applied to the airframe.
Left the engine a bit more glossy, and added antenna wire.

y4m4dRyWkBGF9YVlkagxeD-PTOKzzq-Zt-qmMzpc

y4mRQFfXck9Q_uRhnaqahrCnBXJJ01L5hldtFMAp

y4mxT7Ggz6l3Chk8YUPYrdwvMUsiiDpAN7_hWYkL

y4mig6WpUOl2IHWjT2Wfv7KuY1ju89Zg0AaVBBcz

y4mbQ51Tg_sM56iKbAumkdUJo55nXJu6sz3Ss2Gx

y4mDeHLSbXUBShCoRGu04GKPJ15nOBosvGZhEikq

I had bigger plans originally, but as usual, real life interfered and it's just the one.  Thanks for hosting the GB though, there's plenty of Japanese in the stash for years to come :D

• Like 5

• alt-92 changed the title to Appetiser - Fujimi 1/72 Nakajima C6N2 Saiun kai [Done]

well done on completing her, she looks great!!!!  :thumbsup:

She's quite an unusual looking aircraft, so it's great to have these types of aircraft in these builds.

You should be pleased with the finish, some really nice and tidy work, well done.

Thanks for joining us here and bring such an interesting build, I do hope you enjoyed it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...