CF-101 Voodoo. RCAF

Paul J

The story so far....

wings are on, and work on the cockpit dashboards progressed OK. but had a bit of bother with one set of IP decals that wouldn't stick and looked too small. Anyway, they didn't look right and I discovered that they were from a Hawk T1 kit. But a further rummage yielded me the Phantom ones that I wanted to use originally. They were from an old Microscale set .

Zjhqqm.jpg

UZ09Sm.jpg

The dodgy IP decals from my decal bank but came off after being butchered to fit.
psQHkN.jpg

I decided to seal the weapons bay and use it for nose weights instead.
lw7VSX.jpg

The  Phantom in front  cut to suit.
w74INo.jpg

Here, the rear one is still the Hawk decal but came off tout suite when I found the Phantom ones looked better.......

ro76P4.jpg

.... like this. I know they are not accurate for the 101 but it doesn't bother me as long as there is something there and looks busy enough.
CTRDD3.jpg

Another decision was to have the canopy closed as No matter how delicately they get handled, I always find the open parts get knocked off. And in this case, lessens the 'iffy' instrument dash boards. The masking is from Tamiya tape cut and trimmed to suit with the curvy corners 'tucked' in to shape.
LtK5Wo.jpg

Well, it now looks ready for some primer with the wheel bay temporarily closed off and masked.  The priming might get done today and hopefully the top coat of Voodoo grey from the Xtracolor enamel.  But, I did read somewhere that its not quite the right shade, so I'll have a try and see how it comes out.

• Like 4

Just a bit more done. Primer on and a little bit of re doing where the strips were on the fuselage.

SZtvV5.jpg

Primer on.
2DEq9w.jpg

At centre of pic, you can see where the light strip was and where I over sanded a bit. This was the same on the other side  too.
2vOXdf.jpg

Here, the corrected filling and sanding done.
jMDfUp.jpg

The fist top coat has since been applied and being Xtracolor I am giving it more time to dry. ( It should be quicker with the current warm weather).  But I will go and check later and continue the top coat to the undersides.  Then its on with the tailerons, undercart, nose cone, any touching up and decals.

• Like 8

Painting stage reached and ready for decalling and final assembly of bits and pieces.

Zza2Dp.jpg

Some of the 'Voodoo' grey applied.

PiXOFb.jpg

the rest now sprayed on plus nose cone added.

Y1slfH.jpg

Landing gear ready to go on..... Its odd really \the location for the main legs in the wing surface has an oval shape but the lug on the actual part is sort of oblong.  Weird or what.?

JoeWYt.jpg

Managed to get the undercart to stay in place and proceeding to remove masking from canopy.

jUWR4q.jpg

Arti dazzle masked and applied plus the pitots to the nose... just visible.  The canopy will have the yellow strips applied by decals as part of my next job.  The square opening for a clear part still waits finishing. Is this the same sort of spot light that was featured on the successor , the CF-18 Hornet?  Also the speed brakes are in place and closed as after studying many pics of the CF-101 on the ground, they all show them closed.  Just the tail feathers to go.

gNS370.jpg

Jet area suitably stained and darkened and waiting for the tail pipes to be fitted. Plus the flaps.

I also need to prep up and paint the large external LR tanks and fit them. Debating whether to fit the Falcons.

• Like 5

Hello again.

Just got back in after a couple or so hours in the shed adding more decals to the '101.  Checking the contents f the sheet that remains, there isn't enough CAF lettering of the right size for the underwing markings. No roundels needed anyway , just the 'CAF ###'. But No worries I think I can get over the issue with the decals in my CAF decal bank.

kMCUiq.jpg

First items on making a start. Note yellow stripe decals for the canopy.  Still need a bit more to do to the windshield.

im33OS.jpg

Those nice flashes on.... but, the roundel and legend are too far back going by images and my trusty Patrick Martin book.  Very careful probing with a brush and lots of water released them and they are now in the right place meaning, the forward part of the flash is a bit more forward as too, the legend and roundel. As it happens, the separate pointy segment of the flash is too long being designed for an earlier version of this trim and was cut down as per the Belcher Bits decal instructions. By moving the items forward meant that a bigger space appears between the legend and next part of the flash. This can and will be remedied by using the small segment that was cut from the pointy bit. There is a very good reason for all this and its to do with the change of markings from the CAF roundel and last three being removed and replaced by the dual language legend. One will need to study CAF markings references to fully understand all this. But ,in  modelling terms, it makes it accurate and sense.

dWHTBM.jpg

In the above pic, you can see what I have been on about.

HIlNQz.jpg

Starboard side in progress. I have left it for tonight to rest my eyes and avoid damaging still wet decals...Easily done as I find out time to time. Do a bit then leave to dry before doing more is the idea.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Dansk said:

lovely paul it's really shaping up. are you planning a panel-line wash post decals?

Thanks for all comments everyone. Re panel wash, possibly, but only very subtly.  I don't like models of aeroplanes that look as they have just  flown through a coal mine. But I will just lightly 'weather' it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul J said:

Thanks for all comments everyone. Re panel wash, possibly, but only very subtly.  I don't like models of aeroplanes that look as they have just  flown through a coal mine. But I will just lightly 'weather' it.

perhaps a mid / light gray subtle panel wash could give it a little definition but remain clean looking.

• Like 2

Final pic showing the spre REvell decal set from the kit.   Basically its now all done.  A few notes on what I did:

'Tailplanes' :  I cut off the pins of the kit parts as before too long, they would break off. This happened on my first one so to avoid this pain, I drilled holes at the witness marks left by the original oins, cut a dress making pin to an appropriate length and fxed one end to one of the parts , popped it through the fin and then fitted the other part to the pin that was protruding . All this joined with cyano and all is well.... and it still moves!

Finished ; by adding the pitots( refitting a couple that got knocked off but luckily did not get lost.  Painted and attached the LR tanks, Nose pitot:  This is another easily damaged part so I did the same here by drilling holes to the radome and blunt end of nose probe, as the part is a butt fit. Fixed a piece of stiff wire to the probe and then to the main radome. So hopefully it won't give way any time soon.

Finally some paint finishing touches, remaining decals, those fin serials , the last three are all individual decal items. Here is one or two pics with more in the gallery. Thanks for following.

bZeDCA.jpg

D7h5II.jpg

I 'sooted' up the jet areas a bit more being as these engines were rather 'dirty'!
PqTmOc.jpg

Incidentally. the first batch delivered to the RCAF lacked the IR pod above the nose and were ex USAF Serials were preceded with '12' then followed by the last three US serials..  The next batch, also ex USAF but wore Canadian allocated serials had the IR pod. All CF-101 lacked the formation light strips.  There were a few other minor external differences in antenna layouts.

Next week: I'll be starting my T-33 for the Canadian GB. See you there.

• Like 6

An excellent result Paul, a superb looking Voodoo.

Keeping the weathering subtle is the right thing to have done with a Canadian Voodoo and you have done it well.

It has been great having you take part in the GB, made even better by the great model you produced.

Very well done.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

Nicely done Voodoo sir, hopefully mine will look halfway decent when its done. Im trying to figure out wether I will do an early “B” in NMF. Or a later one in ADC grey ? My decals can work both ways as I have photos of the Squadron wearing both schemes. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

Holy moly! That looks good, Paul! 

Can you explain how you did the bare metal segmented lower tail section? I always have trouble making this part look right. 

Easy really.  I painted the main area  in a silver colour and then added a wash of thinned ,  to a quite 'watery' consistency, matt black.  Applied  to suit with a paint brush and tried to achieve a desirable  effect.