CF-101 Voodoo. RCAF

Paul J

My only Century series kit in my stash and saved for this GB. 

Ujknz8.jpg

Note the Belcher BIts decals that will be used for this model. If anyone is interested, the remainder are up for grabs. And below.....

vnSoJ8.jpg

Inside of the fin with the date of the kit.
6wgsn0.jpg

U2OhBQ.jpg

Got it started today with some sub assemblies as seen above with prepainting of parts still on the sprues. I find it easier for me to go back to building this way on account of a very shaky left hand.

I am debating whether to cut of the pins from the rotating weapons station and replace them with a steel pin or something. I know its just a gimmick but it will demonstrate the load out.

• Like 8

Welcome to the GB Paul, and with what is proving to be popular kit of this great aircraft.

Always good to see one in RCAF markings too and you have got what is probably the best sheet going there, will you be doing the all black EF-101 or a normal grey aircraft?

Off to a nice start as well by the looks of things.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Welcome to the GB Paul, and with what is proving to be popular kit of this great aircraft.

Always good to see one in RCAF markings too and you have got what is probably the best sheet going there, will you be doing the all black EF-101 or a normal grey aircraft?

Off to a nice start as well by the looks of things.

🇺🇦

Cheers, Probably going for a grey one or overall aluminium paint.  There is only one grey one showing on the set all the others that remain are bare metal or silver paint. I had already done one of the bare metal ones a long time ago but have sold the model but still have pics of it. From whats left on my sheet, a couple more can be done including the black one; but one would have to use the Revell kit decals for the stripe an national insignia for any of the others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

I am debating whether to cut of the pins from the rotating weapons station and replace them with a steel pin or something. I know its just a gimmick but it will demonstrate the load out.

Good call on the metal pin. I’m building the same kit, a metal pin a couple of mm longer at each would be an improvement on the plastic pins. Not convinced mine is going to survive many rotations. Actually thinking of fixing it in position displaying the falcon missiles.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

Good call on the metal pin. I’m building the same kit, a metal pin a couple of mm longer at each would be an improvement on the plastic pins. Not convinced mine is going to survive many rotations. Actually thinking of fixing it in position displaying the falcon missiles.

Im going to fix mine open as I have a baggage pod that I am mounting there. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Nice choice of both kit and scheme. I built a Canadian Voodoo in the grey scheme about three years back. On this site somewhere. 

The Revell kit isn't bad, I fixed the rotating missile bay as it didn't seem to work for me. Even in 1/72nd, it is an impressive beast. 

21 hours ago, Mr T said:

Nice choice of both kit and scheme. I built a Canadian Voodoo in the grey scheme about three years back. On this site somewhere. 

The Revell kit isn't bad, I fixed the rotating missile bay as it didn't seem to work for me. Even in 1/72nd, it is an impressive beast. 

I have a friend who almost exclusively builds in 1/32. He said he wanted a Voodoo and I asked him if they made one in his scale. His answer “Good God its big enough in 1/48.” So I agree the Voodoo is a large bird. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Haha 1

Good to see a Canadian voodoo, I was going to build one of the Kinetic kits but it’s junk.  A lot of those aluminum birds were painted grey eventually but you’d have to double check the insignia changes to be sure.

The Belcher  Bits  decals to 1/72 cover all the finishes  from  bare metal to grey and includes an explanation of the marking changes with rhe main scheme changes. At the end of service with the RCAF, most were returned to the USA  while others ended up as gate guards  or in museum collections.

• Like 1

A little more  progress but no pics I'm  afraid. I am taking a few days off but will be back on site refreshed.  

As for the small progress, all I have done is to assemble the fuselage and do a couple more sub assemblies. I also need to remove the so called "slime strips " that did not feature on the Canadian Voodoos. One point about these is the early batches did not have the IR pods on the  noses as featured on the kit. But  the final batch did and were the ones that had the grey finish applied. Finally   the aircraft that were returned to the U S, mostly  became the RF-101. As per the Matchbox kit.

See you soon.

• Like 2

The F-101B is such a fantastic looking bird.

I have the 2013 Revell boxing on the same kit which is high on my project list. Got to find a decent decal USAF sheet first, the option provided by Revell aren't all that interesting to me.

Best of luck!

2 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I'm just sorry we havent yet seen an RF-101A/C in this GB!!!! 

You have done some wonderful things with the Valom kit but I expect many (myself included) to be rebuffed by the amount of work required to turn it into a good looking model.

2 minutes ago, cpoud117 said:

You have done some wonderful things with the Valom kit but I expect many (myself included) to be rebuffed by the amount of work required to turn it into a good looking model.

Thank you for your kind words. It isnt so bad. I just🤞that someone tries one. I've done three (incluiding the A-model) and so I've done my duty ;)

Martin

Hi Dennis!

yes, there were a few experimental schemes. In the 1963-64 period there was 54-1514 painted in a “tiger” scheme, a toned down overall scheme, a black scheme, the one I modelled and others. They are all great :). I hope you find one :).

Martin

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I'm just sorry we havent yet seen an RF-101A/C in this GB!!!! 

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If I had one Id be doing it. Sadly theyre a bit rare. 

Your co-host has irons in the fire shall we say.

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@RidgeRunner Ive come across some interesting camouflage experiments on the RF’s during Vietnam. Two and Three tone striped almost tiger striped in one case, that I would just live to do. Im even looking for an RF-101B as I want one of those also.

And that would be the scheme built if I am successful in getting hold of one.

Now lets give Paul his thread back so he can keep us updated on his RCAF Voodoo.

🇺🇦

• Like 2

On 11/06/2022 at 08:44, modelling minion said:

Your co-host has irons in the fire shall we say.

And that would be the scheme built if I am successful in getting hold of one.

Now lets give Paul his thread back so he can keep us updated on his RCAF Voodoo.

🇺🇦

Thanks!!!!

• Like 1

Well. I'm back from a little travelling to somewhere that was hot and only to get here to find it even hotter!

However, I had a short session in my shed today sweltering in 34 degree heat in side!!  But I did manage a bit of work. 

hYtdf6.jpg

Masked off the area around the formation light strips or slime strips as sometimes referred to.
YdYCE3.jpg

The masking helps to prevent over sanding surrounding detail.
yTeZgr.jpg

The antenna and forward most bump behind the cockpit will also be removed as these do not feature on Canadian 101s.

BXTM3H.jpg

In the above pick the nose strips are now gone.

NeCWqD.jpg

Intake trunking in place and , below, .....
QJXCDG.jpg

....... the upper wing halves in place.
GG1gF0.jpg

The fin strip lights are also gone as can be seen here.  

I have found that so far, the parts fit very well in this kit considering the age. It is a really nice one to put together.   
I'll get back to the kit in the morning before the sun comes round and tries to boil me in the shed, I need to find decals of IPs to apply to the cockpit as I don't have the original decal sheet. But somewhere in my decal bank I think I have a  set for the Phantom which , though not accurate, will fit the bill. And it is another Mc Donnell type anyway so at least its in keeping.....  sort of.🤫

• Like 4