Clear Coat Over NMF

USAJustin

I've never been one to spray a clear coat on natural metal finishes because I fear it will ruin the natural metal look, but I'm interested in the community's thoughts on doing just that. I use SC Johnsons Future for my clear coat and have for a while since it's abundant here in the states. I'd mainly like to do it to protect the paint below from doing lacquer panel washes. Any tips would be appreciated!

Brushed(!!!) or sprayed Klear (old UK version of Future) has worked for me over several different Vallejo Metal Color NMF finishes.  Still looks metallic to me, similarly W&N acrylic satin gave a brushed stainless steel finish.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, malpaso said:

Brushed(!!!) or sprayed Klear (old UK version of Future) has worked for me over several different Vallejo Metal Color NMF finishes.  Still looks metallic to me, similarly W&N acrylic satin gave a brushed stainless steel finish.

Thanks! I’ll give my Future a shot and see how it comes out!

I sprayed Mr Colour aqueous satin clear over silver lacquer recently and was very pleased with the effect.  It seemed to scale the silver down somewhat and made washes and shading easier to apply.  It was also possible to pick out different coloured metal panels by massaging in metallic oil paints from the Mig/Ammo range.

This one is 1/144 and 20 years too late for WW1, but you get the idea.

VmDXweR.jpg

• Like 2

I actually went to work with some Future on Modelsvit's 1/72 Mirage III last night. So far I'm very happy, it went on over Alclad polished aluminum and duraluminum. Gonna throw on some decals tonight and this weekend hopefully I'll try a panel wash. I'll try to upload some pics for you all.

Thanks for the tips!

2 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

Not a lot of call for NMF during the First World War.

Paul.

True, but there was some.  I used Future (Klear) over Vallejo Model Colour for the metal cowling and panels on my WNW Camel:

51121622635_3f610f414a_b.jpg

Assuming the OP meant to post this topic in the First World War section!

• Like 3