Pavla Models

Filler

Just noticed this on the Hannants website:

We cannot buy anymore Pavla so please order quickly if you want any. Already more than 120 sets are down to only 1 or 2 left. This was the main range for ejection seats in 1:72 and 1:48....

Does anyone know if this means Pavla no longer exist, or is it something else? The wording does rather suggest it is something else.

I'd be very disappointed if they are gone (or now very difficult to source) as they seem to be one of a dwindling number of after market producers that produce stuff for 80's era aircraft and for (now) older kits. It's a bit of a bummer when your stash is made up of older kits and most AM is now made for newer kits (which I do understand).

• Like 1

I got some Pavla stuff just recently from Super Hobby in Poland, so it's still around. I've heard a suggestion (and I don't know where) that the problem has something to do with the unpleasantness in Ukraine, but can't say how credible that might be.

20 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

I got some Pavla stuff just recently from Super Hobby in Poland, so it's still around. I've heard a suggestion (and I don't know where) that the problem has something to do with the unpleasantness in Ukraine, but can't say how credible that might be.

Looking at Scalemates Pavla are a Czech company, so it is entirely possible Pavla are disrupted by what’s going on in Ukraine.

I hope not, as the Pavla resin ejector seat I have for the Airfix Mig-15 is really quite nice.

• 1 month later...

We used to get samples from them many years back, but not recently.  They suddenly went radio silence.  I suspect they’ve gone out of business, but don’t quote me on that. The dead website, Hannants unable to order and nothing new from them in years seems to suggest that. It’s a shame if true, but people and companies come and go, and there’s not much we can do about it :shrug: 

• Sad 1

I know they stopped making full kits a few years back to focus on resin sets and vac formed canopies, perhaps that was part of a downsizing move.

It's possible they may be a casualty of the pandemic. They were not a large company and did not have ties to any of the other Czech manufacturers as far as I know.

I haven't seen any commentary one way or the other about the company on Czech modelling forums, but I'll ask in one of my local shops about it next time I'm in as they used to have some Pavla stuff in stock.

Perhaps one of the other Czech forum members, like Libor (Redboost), might have some insights.

Edited by upnorth
  • Like 2

Today, I went to my local shop that used to deal in Pavla stuff to ask if they knew what was up with the brand.

They told me they don't really know as they haven't ordered anything from Pavla in a long time, nor have they seen any product updates from the company in a long time.

As they weren't a big player, they may not have been able to survive in the face of companies like Eduard providing aftermarket for their own kits through the Brass-In line and others.