Airbrushing…

Planes123

Hi Guys, 

I’m considering starting airbrushing but don’t really know what to buy and what I’ll need. I don’t have a huge budget as I’m only 14 but still would like to get going. 

Please share any thoughts with me as this will really help me progress my modelling skills. 

Thanks, Thomas

BTW- I didn’t really know where to post this but I guessed that this would be my best bet.

With my Iwata playing up as it was the other week, I invested in one of these: https://airbrushes.com/product_info.php?cPath=400_403_1_146&products_id=22181

It feels every bit as good as my Iwata & performs beautifully.  Unbelievable value!  (I actually wonder whether it is in fact an Iwata product?)

HTH

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 2

It does feel like a minefield when you start out - but having recently embarked on the sane journey and spent a few quid along the way I can add another vote for Sparmax. I didn’t go with the Max 4 - I bought the SP20X instead as I was looking for a detail brush - but it depends what you are painting ? 

If for example you were painting Games workshop miniatures or 1:144 models - and even smaller 1:72 then the 0.2mm needle in the SP20X would give you the ability to have huge control over your output. You would only have to be more careful  with priming and gloss coating. If you are looking for a more all rounder then the Sparmax Max 3 (0.3mm needle) or the Max 4 (0.4mm needle) are both worth looking at.

Also the Harder and Steinbeck ultra 2 in 1 is meant to be very good and offers a detail needle AND a wider pattern (hence the 2 in 1 bit :) ) 

You could have a chat with Martin at aircraft net - I’ve bought a few bits for him and he’s SUPER helpful and very well priced. 
Depends on how much you are looking to spend, but I’d take a look at Facebook for sale for a compressor - there are plenty about Ideally one with an air tank.

If you are on a tight budget there are other options - I’ve seen guys on here use spare car tyres as a temporary air source !! 

If you say what you would like to spend and what you would like to do with what you buy, I am sure there will be some opinions on what we might do in that position :) 

Edited by Vapouriser
Spelling!
  • Thanks 1

To answer you other question you will need (this is what I bought)

Airbrush

Compressor/air source with moisture trap and pressure regulator

connecting hose (ideally with quick release connection)

Protective equipment - mask and extraction - depending also on what you are spraying and where ….

(plus I needed these)

airbrush stand (I bought a cleaning pot, that also double up as a stand)

airbrush cleaning brushes/kit

Airbrush  cleaner (suitable for the paints you are spraying l) 

PAINTS !!! 

Think that’s it to get started 😂 

• Thanks 1

Something like this offers good value - just as an example (it just happens to be local to me on Facebook - NOTHING to do with me, but I might well have bought it if I’d seen it 2 months ago 😂spacer.pngBut equally you could pick up a compressor for £50 or less and the Sparmax for £60 and be all in for just over £100 !! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I could add my halfpenny here - once you get more comfortable with airbrushing you may find out that one airbrush does not fit all needs and needle changing is a pain.

I currently use the following:

• Cheap airbrush with 0.5 nozzle for varnishing and primers. And spraying floor polish all over my models because why not. I also have extra cheap plastic bottom feeder too but it reminds me of a rattlecan with its precission control. Last time I used it when I needed to prime 100 of spoons, or when I worked with some Humbrol paints that completely refused to be sprayed through normal nozzles.
  • Medium quality airbrush with 0.3 nozzle for wider work.
  • Another medium quality airbrush with 0.3 nozzle for metallics. They are pain to clean and if you use real metallic particles they seem bit rough for the nozzles.
  • Something fitting for tiny details, like Sotar 20/20.

All that quick-swappable. And I use an the old makeup/nail artist trick - multiple airbrushes at once since it is quicker to swap an airbrush than to change the paint in it :)

Edited by Casey

6 hours ago, Casey said:

If I could add my halfpenny here - once you get more comfortable with airbrushing you may find out that one airbrush does not fit all needs and needle changing is a pain.

I currently use the following:

• Cheap airbrush with 0.5 nozzle for varnishing and primers. And spraying floor polish all over my models because why not. I also have extra cheap plastic bottom feeder too but it reminds me of a rattlecan with its precission control. Last time I used it when I needed to prime 100 of spoons, or when I worked with some Humbrol paints that completely refused to be sprayed through normal nozzles.
  • Medium quality airbrush with 0.3 nozzle for wider work.
  • Another medium quality airbrush with 0.3 nozzle for metallics. They are pain to clean and if you use real metallic particles they seem bit rough for the nozzles.
  • Something fitting for tiny details, like Sotar 20/20.

All that quick-swappable. And I use an the old makeup/nail artist trick - multiple airbrushes at once since it is quicker to swap an airbrush than to change the paint in it :)

Quite a collection you have there !!

When you say Cheap and Medium quality - would you mind elaborating ?

59 minutes ago, Vapouriser said:

Quite a collection you have there !!

When you say Cheap and Medium quality - would you mind elaborating ?

I have:

Badger 250 spray gun. (current price 25$)

It is a rattlecan on a hose! If you can't spray something through that on 50psi, it probably should not be sprayed at home.

Master Airbrush S68 (33.99$) - bottom feeder. A bit improved rattlecan on a hose.

Master Airbrush G22 (29.99$)

Master Airbrush G223 (which came with set of needles) (39.99$)

Very similar ones. Quality is medium, the trigger is stiffer on more expensive one, but I suspect it varies by unit.

The more expensive one came with limiter and this allows for quite fine work.

The cheaper one is almost the same price as spray gun

If you are up for detail work you want to remove the needle cap anyway to bring it closer to model.

Sotar 20/20 (121$)

For detailwork mostly. It has super tiny paint cup - you do not need much of paint anyway for the work it is designed for.

I do 1/72's on it comfortably, but if you try something larger you may quickly wish you didnt :) I did mention the small paint cup...

I got Master Airbrush Cool Runner II with a tank. It may be the "cool runner" but definitely it is not quiet. Tank helps.

Plus a box of connectors/adaptors.

I just noticed that the Sotar itself costs not that much less than a whole bundle with said compressor (without tank), 2 master airbrushes, one master spray gun, airbrush ready paints of unspecified quality, airbrush cleaning kit with cleaner and obligatory next to useless color wheel for 149.99... got to love Amazon.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

You are obviously the other side of the pond Casey? - US are very much more Badger Centric than we are here in the UK - although they are available from some outlets - albeit far less than Iwata H&S and Sparmax. 
Must check where the OP is based ….

Thomas, following in from my last post about availability  - just checking your profile and you are based in Devon UK ?

Just checking as your birthday implies that you are shortly going to be 23 - so maybe an error there ?

• 2 weeks later...

timbertech airbrushes,  home office is the nederlands. great customer service. 

you can get a nice kit with 3 sizes of needles and nozzles for less then the cost for the airbrush that hooks to a spray can of air. 

and on cleaning them... paint takes time to dry right?

• 1 month later...
On 14/06/2022 at 08:58, Vapouriser said:

Thomas, following in from my last post about availability  - just checking your profile and you are based in Devon UK ?

Just checking as your birthday implies that you are shortly going to be 23 - so maybe an error there ?

Yeah there were issues when trying to make an account when I was 13 so changed it but it should be back to normal now I’m 14

Since this post I have been given a terrible humbrol airbrush and it hasn’t worked out for me so I am probably going to have a closer look into the Sparmax 3 and things in that price range