Painting hi-viz jackets

DeepSea

Hi all,

I've a diorama idea kicking around in my head and as part of it I'd need some figures wearing the ubiquitous hi-viz 'waistcoats'.

Does anyone have any tips (or links to guides) on how to get them looking half decent?  If it matters scale would be 1/32 or 1/35.

Cheers

David

You should also mention type of paint, but if it is water based acrylics...

I would avoid putting an overall dark wash (which should be generally omitted as a figure painting step)  over whichever bright paint you decide on for the vest/jacket.  Same verdict with dry brushing, as it incorrectly highlights the sides of the folds instead of the tops.   If there is equipment overlapping clothing like a belt, then that is where you can add a pin point dark wash to separate the two.

So if you pick yellow, after the base is applied and dry, add white to this yellow and pick out the highlights individually with a pointed brush.   For shadow areas, same precise applications, but paint colour going towards orange and perhaps almost brown for the darkest recesses. 

For both highlights and shadows, you want the paint thin, but don't overload your brush as you want to maintain control.   You may want to apply the paints in successive layers going lighter (or darker) and build up the layers gradually.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Thanks 1