1/72 - SAAB J-35F/35ÖE/35FS Draken by Hobby 2000 (plastic Hasegawa) - released

16 hours ago, drake122 said:

Does this contain any extras or is it just a straightforward rebox of Hasegawa? I've read somewhere that Hobby 2000 often include aftermarket, like masks, etc.

As far as I'm aware all the Hobby 2000 boxings come with Cartograph decals and canopy/wheel masks, so I would expect this to have the same.

Edit - this is indeed what is listed on Hannants - https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/H2K72056?result-token=OhSmU

• Thanks 1

Nice to see this one in new boxings. Of course, I can not avoid rivet-counting when the subject is Draken. Decal number 20 is wrong in the first and third Swedish option (but correct in the second one), and the rear underside antenna was not used on these two. However, the boxart is correct.

A pity that they have missed the old-style "Hugg här"-stencils (Cut here). These are seldom seen in Draken kits, Hasegawa never discovered these either. And I hope - but do not think, that they have included a correct Austrian spine with just a single, small, air intake on the right side 

But this said, this is very welcome re-issue! I hope that they will rebox the 1/48 edition as well!

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Hook said:

Funny how Hasegawa never released a twoseater, even though the molds are obviously set up for one.

Cheers,

Andre

Good point Andre. Perhaps the kit was never a great seller so they didn't invest further for the extra tooling necessary for what would be the less popular version.

42 minutes ago, Col. said:

Good point Andre. Perhaps the kit was never a great seller so they didn't invest further for the extra tooling necessary for what would be the less popular version.

Usually the less popular versions get released first. 😎

Anyway, the combo Hase parts / Cartograf decals is hard to beat.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bjorn said:

Yes, I know. And it is a welcome release! 😀 But it would have been nice with a Hobby 2000 release with Cartograf decals and paint masks. 

Well, Hobby 2000 did rebox some 1/48th. Here's hoping for the 48'ers!

• Like 1

On 09/06/2022 at 01:58, stevehnz said:

I can see one heading my way with the Austrian/Finnish markings in it, I do rather fancy a Finnish one.

Steve.

I'd fancy building the Austrian one! There's just that nice contrast between an all grey aircraft and red/white markings, like the Danish F-16:s. V-P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

I'd fancy building the Austrian one! There's just that nice contrast between an all grey aircraft and red/white markings, like the Danish F-16:s. V-P

No doubt you already have a Finnish one. :D I missed them when Hasegawa had that boxing, I hadn't discovered my "need" then, which is a line up of Finnish aircraft. I can certainly see the attraction in the Austrian scheme, for boring grey, they look really good. :)

Steve.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

No doubt you already have a Finnish one

:blush: To be honest, and why not be, the Hornet I built in the STGB last winter is the only Finnish jet I have finished. Actually it's the only jet I have finished! There are six F-16:s, an F-15 and two Hawks still on my shelf of shame :blush:Everything else has a prop or props!

g

a

t

h

e

r

i

n

g

c

o

u

r

a

g

e

t

o

c

o

n

f

e

s

s:

I have never, not even as a kid, built a Draken... A Matchbox Saab Viggen and a Tunnan, but not the prettiest Saab of them all, ever. So come on my friends, let's correct my mistake with making this Draken STGB happen. V-P

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2022 at 8:38 PM, Bjorn said:

And I hope - but do not think, that they have included a correct Austrian spine with just a single, small, air intake on the right side 

If you mean the single intake on the left side ( the right side looks like a vent ), then no they haven't. Those wanting to do an Austrian aircraft would have to either get the Maestro Models spine or scratch the vent.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit late to the party on this thread but was in Gothenburg a couple of weeks ago and visited the air museum nearby, which is in the underground bunker previously used by No. 9 Wing. They had several Drakens, as well as Viggens (you can sit in one), a Tunnan and a Lansen. I felt like I was 10 again! Well worth a visit if you're ever in the area. 

As luck would have it, I was able to pick up one of these 1:72 Hobby 2000 Drakens at Scale Scotland last week at a bargain price. It's staring at me right now so I better start on it over the weekend...

Happy building guys! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WhiteTiger4115 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit late to the party on this thread but was in Gothenburg a couple of weeks ago and visited the air museum nearby, which is in the underground bunker previously used by No. 9 Wing. They had several Drakens, as well as Viggens (you can sit in one), a Tunnan and a Lansen. I felt like I was 10 again! Well worth a visit if you're ever in the area. 

As luck would have it, I was able to pick up one of these 1:72 Hobby 2000 Drakens at Scale Scotland last week at a bargain price. It's staring at me right now so I better start on it over the weekend...

Happy building guys! 

All the more reason for me to visit Europe someday. 

• Like 2