Monogram/Revell F-102 Delta Dagger

Hey gang,

I had to take a bit of a break from this GB when I ran into trouble installing the landing gear doors. The doors and actuator parts on the Monogram kit need to be bent into shape, don't fit super well, and have somewhat vague positioning. This results in a fairly difficult assembly.

My result isn't perfect, but good enough for me to live with. The door angles aren't entirely symmetrical and one of the wheels is enough out of alignment, it would send some IPMS judges through the roof! 

I'm working on the missiles now. They're all going to need a bit of clean up on their tail ends, and then some tricky masking, so not out of the woods just yet! :)

PXL-20220822-013657600.jpg

PXL-20220822-013715700.jpg

PXL-20220822-014338881.jpg

some slop on the oleo scissors. These were a "bend to shape" part and we're quite springy. Positioning the actuator arm caused them to move out of position as they dried. Messy engineering!

PXL-20220822-014350822.jpg

PXL-20220822-014305554.jpg

Some detail on the front gear door, and assembled missile bay doors.

PXL-20220822-014326132.jpg

And added some faded orange to the wing fences, as per a note on the decal sheet.

PXL-20220822-014359530.jpg

• Like 8

The landing gear are tricky but I think they came up good :) Overall the plane is looking really close to finished, is it just the missiles that are left to do?

What colour did you use for the air defence grey btw?

5 hours ago, reini said:

The landing gear are tricky but I think they came up good :) Overall the plane is looking really close to finished, is it just the missiles that are left to do?

What colour did you use for the air defence grey btw?

Thanks, and more or less it's finished. Missiles, air brake, pitot, and the canopy are the only bits to add, but also a paint booboo to fix on one side (big yellow thumbprint needs to be lightly sanded and repainted on the side not shown:)

And I used Mission Models' ADC gray 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I'm disappointed that I didn't get to finish this project in time. Getting the canopy to fit in the frame and then painting the frame seals, proved to be pretty tall obstacles to overcome. I finally pushed through this weekend, but I'm not super happy with the results. After that, I kind of gave up on trying to perfect the many other tiny glitches in the finish, and adding extra decals to the falcons, etc.  Still and all, a fun project, and finally finished. This kit has been in my stash for seven or eight years. 

Thanks GB hosts for allowing this to happen, and for hosting such a fun build. 

Sorry about the overall photo quality, but this thing is enormous and proved to be very tricky to photograph. Some photoshopping of the blue background was needed to fill in corners and gaps. 

PXL_20221002_192605992-XL.jpg

PXL_20221002_192640468-XL.jpg

PXL_20221002_192627133-XL.jpg

PXL_20221002_192659822-XL.jpg

PXL_20221002_192724507-XL.jpg

• Like 5

On 10/3/2022 at 10:39 AM, Graham T said:

Really nice job!  That undercarriage really is a bu@@er isn't it!

Yeah. The whole kit, really. It really demands a lot out of the builder. Sometimes I get in the mood for that sort of thing, and that's why I still have Monogram kits in the loft. :)

But whenever I finish one, that urge goes away for a year or two! :D