PK-31 Curtiss P-40N Warhawk

Thanks to the two-week extension to the GB, in a moment's insanity I thought I'd break out another of the Matchbox classics I bought in readiness.

This time it's the P-40N Warhawk, another one that I built as a nipper. I remember back then being particularly pleased with how I sanded the bomb to better emulate the box-top painting without breaking the percussion detonator :)

It's going to be entirely OOB, unlike my Buffalo which I'm trying to "improve", and hopefully I'll be able to use the original decals, too! I never liked the skull marking, so as a youngster built the RAF version; this one will be the same.

So, box and sprue shots:

IMG-4657.jpg

IMG-4658.jpg

I can't remember the sprue colours of my original kit, but I don't think it was this particularly gopping combination!

And a start has been made :)

The wing panels have been assembled: I removed the location pips as it allows the lower panels to sit more snugly. I've also fitted the seat and rear cockpit coaming to the port fuselage half, using the starboard half to ensure alignment, and fitted the "stick" to the seat:

IMG-4661.jpg

I *might* add some semblance of interior detail from strip and bits and bobs. I'll also cobble together an IP, and add a fillet behind the coaming.

Debate is raging over wheels up or wheels down. As a youngster, all my 'planes were wheels up as they were suspended from my bedroom ceiling. I never used the stands. However, I'm going to put the Buffalo on its Matchbox stand, and I'm tempted to do the same thing here.

Anyways, onward and upward, and thanks for looking in :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 8

My vote is to go for the stand option. If you built it like that years back, a nostalgia build would demand nothing less.

I cut the stand slot out of most of my early style builds, regardless of using a stand or not. I rarely flip my models over, and having a choice of how I display a kit is a nice option.

Enjoy the build, whatever you choose.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff Mark, best of luck with this one. :like:

Cheers Pat

Thanks, Pat, I think this could actually happen quite swiftly. Just as long as I don't get bogged down in the little details.

But, and I mean this kindly, the kit isn't terribly accurate so making a silk purse from this particular sow's ear ain't gonna fly :D

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TonyW said:

My vote is to go for the stand option. If you built it like that years back, a nostalgia build would demand nothing less.

I cut the stand slot out of most of my early style builds, regardless of using a stand or not. I rarely flip my models over, and having a choice of how I display a kit is a nice option.

Enjoy the build, whatever you choose.

Thanks, Tony, that's excellent reasoning and I think you've helped me decide. Stand, it is!

For the Buffalo, I'm most probably painting the stand a neutral but dark grey. The doodah that fits the fuselage, I'm leaving clear in the hope that it'll be less noticeable. That's the theory. I think this one I'll do the same.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Interior time.

So, I did think about adding some rudimentary framing. And then I thought, "Bazinga! I've got a couple of Eduard etches for the P-40N somewhere." And I managed to find 'em, too! I was all set to start out with those, but then I thought to myself, "This isn't what you wanted to achieve with this build, is it, Markie-boy?" The upshot of all this is that the Eduard etches were put away for another day, and I ploughed on regardless.

The kit seat back needed a bit of paring/scraping/sanding on the port side as I'd somehow got it lop-sided and it was fouling the canopy. The gap behind the rear coaming was filled with a slip of 30thou plasticard and carved and sanded to shape. And then green happened:

IMG-4665.jpg

IMG-4664.jpg

IMG-4662.jpg

"Ah-ha!" I hear you say, "I espy extra bits!" Well, yes. The IP is a YAHU part for a Hurricane Mk.I which fits almost perfectly, The bottomless seat comes, ironically, from Airfix's Tomahawk IIb, suitably thinned and with the squab removed so that George, the pilot, doesn't bang his bonce on the canopy.

And speaking of George, he's been getting a bit of attention, too:

IMG-4673.jpg

IMG-4669.jpg

He's painted with Humbrol enamel matt leather (not very matt, is it?), and then detailed with various Vallejo acrylics mixed and modged (and please, folks, let's keep this clean - no comments about the brown-ness between his legs!). Besides, George knows that today's mission is going to be successful - he's wearing his lucky blue silk scarf that he liberated from an exotic dancer in Cairo back in '42!

The fuselage has been buttoned up, but as all that's visible are clamps, there's not much point in another picture. Clothes pegs aren't terribly interesting.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 6

Meant to mention that I've also picked up another Matchbox P-40N, a later boxing which includes an Aussie white-tail. Always one of my favourite schemes, so I might go with that.

Thanks for looking in!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Excellent start! I’m on the prowl for one of these after finding an old kit at my parents that I built in the 80s. I’m planning on doing a comparison build. Hopefully I’ve got better at gluing.

ps. The Skull one is the one I’m after. 

I’ll tag along if that’s ok and get some tips. 

Johnny.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Excellent start! I’m on the prowl for one of these after finding an old kit at my parents that I built in the 80s. I’m planning on doing a comparison build. Hopefully I’ve got better at gluing.

ps. The Skull one is the one I’m after. 

I’ll tag along if that’s ok and get some tips. 

Johnny.

Hi Johnny,

welcome aboard! You're more than welcome to have the decals for the skull scheme - I certainly won't use them either way - and the sheet looks to be okay. I'll have the second kit spare as well but I'll check it over when it arrives to make sure its okay. I'll PM you if you might be interested.

It'd be pretty easy to dress up the Matchbox mouldings with the Eduard etched set if you wanted to go the extra mile.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff Mark

Very impressed that;

A. You remembered you had a PE set

B. You were able to find it 

C. Decided not to use it :thumbsup:

I've lost count of the number of builds abandoned due to adding lots of detail and then subsequent mojo loss at the lack of progress.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff Mark

Very impressed that;

A. You remembered you had a PE set

B. You were able to find it 

C. Decided not to use it :thumbsup:

I've lost count of the number of builds abandoned due to adding lots of detail and then subsequent mojo loss at the lack of progress.

Cheers Pat

Thanks, Pat :) I was pretty impressed that I remembered it, too! :D I actually bought it for the seat for a different project (which, ironically, is stalled!). I'm quite pleased with how its coming together, and I think non-PE (apart from the Yahu IP, of course) was a good choice. I get too bogged down with the small bits, most of which are invisible without help, and then I procrastinate.

I'm hoping to get the canopy on and blended in today, need to add the gunsight first, and smooth the fuselage seams. The nose piece is only vaguely the same profile as the cowling, so some sanding is needed there, too!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

I noticed that the seat fouled the canopy too. I don't think it's anything we did wrong, the seat just sits a bit too high.

I should have taken off the locating pins on the wing halves as well - good call.

J

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

I noticed that the seat fouled the canopy too. I don't think it's anything we did wrong, the seat just sits a bit too high.

I should have taken off the locating pins on the wing halves as well - good call.

J

Hi John,

That's interesting that you had the same issue - if something doesn't fit I always think it's my mistake :)

How were the wing to fuselage joints? It looks like mine are going to need a fair amount of sanding to get them to sit flush, which might be a bi-product of taking off the locating pins. Swings and roundabouts :D

Cheers,

Mark

Unfortunately my Thursday evening was overtaken by an unforeseen visit to the parents-in-law, so apart from tailplanes there's been no further progress on this build as yet.

However, the second kit arrived yesterday, and I've decided to go with the Aussie white-tail scheme rather than LD*C.

Hope to make some progress today!

Cheers for now!

Mark

• Like 2

On 6/9/2022 at 9:23 PM, 2996 Victor said:

Hi John,

That's interesting that you had the same issue - if something doesn't fit I always think it's my mistake :)

How were the wing to fuselage joints? It looks like mine are going to need a fair amount of sanding to get them to sit flush, which might be a bi-product of taking off the locating pins. Swings and roundabouts :D

Cheers,

Mark

I think the wings themselves are fractionally thinner than the corresponding roots on the fuselage. I lined them up on the top and pretty much ignored the underside  😃

Given that the undercarriage wells cut through the joins it isn't too bad. 

I've got the Australian decals from the Revell boxing going free to a good home if you need spares. 

John 

• Like 2

On 09/06/2022 at 08:37, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Johnny,

welcome aboard! You're more than welcome to have the decals for the skull scheme - I certainly won't use them either way - and the sheet looks to be okay. I'll have the second kit spare as well but I'll check it over when it arrives to make sure its okay. I'll PM you if you might be interested.

It'd be pretty easy to dress up the Matchbox mouldings with the Eduard etched set if you wanted to go the extra mile.

Cheers,

Mark

That’s a very kind offer but I did manage to win the kit on Friday just before driving up to meet everyone at the 453rd museum. I’ve just looked it over. Not much in the cockpit is there. 😳

Johnny

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

I think the wings themselves are fractionally thinner than the corresponding roots on the fuselage. I lined them up on the top and pretty much ignored the underside  😃

Given that the undercarriage wells cut through the joins it isn't too bad. 

I've got the Australian decals from the Revell boxing going free to a good home if you need spares. 

John 

Thanks, John, I'll watch out for that and do the same and line up the upper surfaces as you have. Thanks also for the offer of the Aussie decals, I'll let you know how I get on as I could well need them.

All the best,

Mark

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

That’s a very kind offer but I did manage to win the kit on Friday just before driving up to meet everyone at the 453rd museum. I’ve just looked it over. Not much in the cockpit is there. 😳

Johnny

Hi Johnny,

excellent news on the win! You're right, though, there ain't much inside, is there? Would you like the spare decals with the skull markings?

All the best,

Mark

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Johnny,

excellent news on the win! You're right, though, there ain't much inside, is there? Would you like the spare decals with the skull markings?

All the best,

Mark

Thanks again but the skull markings are in the kit I have so you can keep them for another day. Much appreciated though. 😀

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks again but the skull markings are in the kit I have so you can keep them for another day. Much appreciated though. 😀

No worries! If you do need them, just give me a shout :) Looking forward to seeing your build in due course!

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Glad you let me know about this one, Mark, I'll follow it now too!

Thanks, ME, not sure it'll be particularly profound but welcome along :)

Cheers,

Mark

Today I've added a Brengun RP1 gunsight fixed to a couple of slips of styrene, added the canopy so that George is now entombed, and added the wings. 

Photos in a little while.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Cockpit completed, with obligatory red button on the top of the joystick :) . A couple of slips of styrene have been used to fill the cutout in the top of the IP and to provide a platform for the Brengun gunsight:

IMG-4695.jpg

IMG-4699.jpg

And then the canopy was added, and as soon as I'd done that I thought, "CA can cloud transparencies!" so I'll wait to see if I've cocked up big time. Can't think where my mind was as I've got some clear canopy glue :facepalm:

Wings were added, and here we see the offending article resting in my (patent pending) wing support jig:

IMG-4723.jpg

As mentioned by @John, the wing fit is okay but there's a bit of a mismatch between thickness of the wings and roots. A bit of filing of the underside of the locating tabs seemed to help a bit, but of course that made the fit even floppier. Nasty! At the moment, they're fixed with a small amount of MEK. Once I'm happy with the dihedral, I'll reinforce the joints with CA. A bit of Mr Dissolved Putty has been splodged onto the cowling where there was a bit of a mismatch, and more will go along the wing joints in due course.

Next up: undercarriage doors, scraping the fuselage joints, masking the canopy (if its still clear.....) and then hopefully some primer.

Thanks for looking in,
Mark

• Like 6

I like your pilot and cockpit! 

If the CA clouded the canopy, it should mostly wipe off, or a little polishing with mircro mesh or a mircro fiber cloth or even an old t-shirt might do the trick.  Getting the canopy back off without marring paint is a different matter...

• Thanks 1