(Non) Flying Days: Commemorating D-Day Duxford June 2022

Hello again!

I took a chance on the weather forecast being wrong and drove to Duxford for the D-Day Flying Day. The forecast was wrong, in that it didn't rain all day, but was drizzly most of the day with poor visibility!

Flying was scheduled from 1320 hours, but nothing happened and there were no announcements on the public address system. One of the IWM volunteers told me that they expected an announcement at 1400 hours regarding the weather.

As it turned out, the only movement of the day was the Staggerwing which started up, taxied to the hold and then returned to parking and shut down. At this point, I cut my losses and headed for home!

Screenshot_20220605-155641_Facebook.jpg

However, all was not lost, as I had a mooch around and grabbed some images with my phone instead!

20220605_115911.jpg

20220605_120644.jpg

20220605_121335.jpg

20220605_121546.jpg

20220605_121729.jpg

20220605_121853.jpg

20220605_122147.jpg

20220605_122629.jpg

20220605_122655.jpg

20220605_123213.jpg

20220605_123552.jpg

20220605_130346.jpg

20220605_131038.jpg

20220605_131931.jpg

20220605_132314.jpg

20220605_132716.jpg

20220605_132808.jpg

20220605_134022.jpg

DSC_4729.jpg

Hoorah - a running engine!!!

DSC_4732.jpg

DSC_4738.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 14

Great photos, thanks for sharing. 

Does anyone have idea what’s going on with the Beaufighter in the Fighter Collections hanger? I know they’re restoring it for someone else but it’s been in the same state for years now. 

Thanks 

James

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Great photos, thanks for sharing. 

Does anyone have idea what’s going on with the Beaufighter in the Fighter Collections hanger? I know they’re restoring it for someone else but it’s been in the same state for years now. 

Thanks 

James

Thanks James, I'm pleased that you enjoyed them. 

I'm afraid that I don't know what is happening with the Beau, but would love to see it in the air some time!

• Like 2

Great stuff, what a shame the weather never improved though. The pic of the Vampire reminds of 'The Shepherd', the Frederick Forsyth novel of the Vampire pilot flying back from Germany on Christmas eve. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Parabat said:

Great stuff, what a shame the weather never improved though. The pic of the Vampire reminds of 'The Shepherd', the Frederick Forsyth novel of the Vampire pilot flying back from Germany on Christmas eve. 

Thanks Parabat! The bonus is that as an IWM Member, the ticket was free!😉

I'm not familiar with 'The Shepherd'. Is it worth watching?

• Like 1

Shame about the weather curtailing the day's flying but looks like you more than made up for it by checking out the hangars and outdoor exhibits. I must say that new Victor paint job looks spot on.

Mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canberraman said:

Shame about the weather curtailing the day's flying but looks like you more than made up for it by checking out the hangars and outdoor exhibits. I must say that new Victor paint job looks spot on.

Mark

Hi Mark. Yes, it was one of several aviation events cancelled yesterday due to the weather - such a contrast to the glorious weather last Thursday!

I agree that the Victor looks stunning and I can't wait to see her when she has been reassembled. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HOUSTON said:

Excellent  photographs  Alpha Delta 210.

For people like ME who still have not managed to get the opportunity to go to Duxford   your photographs  affords ME to see them.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words, Houston. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the images and hope that you can visit Duxford soon!

17 hours ago, franky boy said:

Does anyone have idea what’s going on with the Beaufighter in the Fighter Collections hanger?

I would take an educated guess, here.... No money and no spare parts? I have a feeling it's now effectively stored in the hangar. In the years I've been aware of the airframe, it appears that very little has been done to restore it. I would welcome some more, definitive information, if anyone has some. 

Cheers. 

Chris.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

I would take an educated guess, here.... No money and no spare parts? I have a feeling it's now effectively stored in the hangar. In the years I've been aware of the airframe, it appears that very little has been done to restore it. I would welcome some more, definitive information, if anyone has some. 

Cheers. 

Chris.  

Yes, that seems the most likely explanation, Chris. In the past few years, I think it has moved from near the pedestrian entrance of the hangar into its present position which made me think that work was going to resume....

I too was at Duxford last Sunday.

Actually, and I hope I'm not being over pedantic, but there were TWO aircraft movements during the day!  Just after I arrived the 'NHS Spitfire' was towed away from ARC's hangar to a ground side display area where it sat immobile till quite late in the day when it was towed back.  Not sure whether that counts as a 'movement'!  I also watched the Staggerwing rumble down to the hold point, pause, then rumble back to where it started and switch off.  It was a very misty day, wasn't it, AD210?

One bit of high amusement for me ... I was in the Air & Sea hangar having a restful sit when a little boy clutching a toy plane came in with (I think) his grandparents.  About then the sound of a jet engine could be heard.  A number of people made a move to leave the hangar doubtless hoping to see something interesting move when the jet noise stopped.   That happened a couple more times, and I realised it was the little boy's toy.

Great photos as always, AD210.  Thank you for sharing them.

Oh - a long time ago I heard that The Fighter Collection was actively seeking two Herculese engines for the Beaufighter.  I'm sure I saw two on stands near the aeroplane and wonder if it's since been decided they were different models of the engines, or for some reason unsuitable.  Time will tell!

Cheers,

Jonny

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 05/06/2022 at 19:25, franky boy said:

I believe it stalled on the basis of deciding that they were never going to find the correct mark of hercules; and modifications and certifications required for some alternative engine were going to be prohibitively expensive. Don't quote me on that, I can't honestly remember where I heard that. 

A shame really, I've grown up with that aircraft slowly not progressing each time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Ngantek said:

I believe it stalled on the basis of deciding that they were never going to find the correct mark of hercules; and modifications and certifications required for some alternative engine were going to be prohibitively expensive. Don't quote me on that, I can't honestly remember where I heard that. 

A shame really, I've grown up with that aircraft slowly not progressing each time.

The Fighter Collection's website entry for the Beaufighter states "The structure of the aircraft is now largely complete and awaits fittings and suitable engines before progressing further".

As I said earlier, I'm sure I saw two Hercules engines on stands next to the airframe (it was back in the day when one could get closer to the aeroplane than currently possible) so it may be they are away for rebuild.  Then again, as Ngantek says, it may be they were the wrong (or differing) marks and the cost of modifications & certification is expensive.  A great shame indeed.

• Like 2

On 6/5/2022 at 8:09 PM, Alpha Delta 210 said:

I'm not familiar with 'The Shepherd'. Is it worth watching?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shepherd-Frederick-Forsyth-ebook/dp/B0055CS4P6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=QWDB4F02N9E1&keywords=the+shepherd&qid=1654622473&s=books&sprefix=the+shep%2Cstripbooks%2C922&sr=1-1

Great pictures. Thanks for posting. I drove past Duxford last week, but I was working so no time to stop :sad:

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Jonny said:

I too was at Duxford last Sunday.

Actually, and I hope I'm not being over pedantic, but there were TWO aircraft movements during the day!  Just after I arrived the 'NHS Spitfire' was towed away from ARC's hangar to a ground side display area where it sat immobile till quite late in the day when it was towed back.  Not sure whether that counts as a 'movement'!  I also watched the Staggerwing rumble down to the hold point, pause, then rumble back to where it started and switch off.  It was a very misty day, wasn't it, AD210?

One bit of high amusement for me ... I was in the Air & Sea hangar having a restful sit when a little boy clutching a toy plane came in with (I think) his grandparents.  About then the sound of a jet engine could be heard.  A number of people made a move to leave the hangar doubtless hoping to see something interesting move when the jet noise stopped.   That happened a couple more times, and I realised it was the little boy's toy.

Great photos as always, AD210.  Thank you for sharing them.

Oh - a long time ago I heard that The Fighter Collection was actively seeking two Herculese engines for the Beaufighter.  I'm sure I saw two on stands near the aeroplane and wonder if it's since been decided they were different models of the engines, or for some reason unsuitable.  Time will tell!

Cheers,

Jonny

Hi Jonny. I'll give you the NHS Spitfire!!!

I would have chuckled at the young lad and his toy! Mind you, despite the countless visits I make to Duxford,  the Merlin sound effects on AirSpace always make me want to charge outside!🙄

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

To be honest, Pete you didn't miss much, but I'm pleased that you enjoyed my drizzly record!🤣

• Like 1