F-104G Starfighter - In Europe ++ Finished 13/7/22 ++

• nimrod54 changed the title to F-104G Starfighter - In Europe
33 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

have you decided on which to do yet?

25 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Any idea as to which ones you’ll be doing ? I think I’d do the Spanish and Netherlands. 

I think that with Germany being the first European operator will be one choice, but I am not sure which one for the second kit. The Netherlands option would be a nice choice but I also like the Spanish markings and the Italian variant should also be up there too with Italy operating 104's until 2004.  

• Like 2

Agree that a German F-104 is the right thing to do for one of the options, and the Marineflieger scheme happens to be one of my favourites, if I was to choose another then I would be torn between the same two as yourself, Spain and Italy. If push came to shove I think I would choose Italy.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

I made a start on these two earlier in the week and got the fuselage of the Marineflieger option together.

52138985664_74e8f61967_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I have also prepped the parts and sub-assemblies for the second option - probably the Spanish version. Here are the parts for the rear section.

52139235295_0237b055d3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

And the forward section along with the cockpit parts. I still have to add the harness to the seat using some masking tape and matt those parts down.

52139234920_a92425b2e3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52138747126_33c5f67c6f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Oh! and just for a size reference the squares on my cutting matt are 1/2inch (12.5mm).

John.

• Like 4

On 11/06/2022 at 20:51, modelling minion said:

A very nice start John.

The detailing on these kits is very good for 1/144 scale and by the looks of the soon to be Marineflieger build they go together very nicely too.

🇺🇦

Cheers Craig, I put the second fuselage together tonight, I will leave that a day or two then tidy to the joins. Meanwhile I can start working on the wings for both, and fit in a set to the first kit.

18 hours ago, Dansk said:

super work painting the 144 cockpit. very impressive.

Thanks a lot Paul, although I must say that I cannot take credit for some of the detail, the instrument panel and consoles are  decals.

John

Just a quick update to show progress of the second fuselage build (foreground). 

52143529439_909744a5dc_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Edited by nimrod54
Photo added 13th June 2022
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hook said:

Cute! These do look familiar - aren't they the RoG mold?

Cheers,

Andrr

They are indeed Andrr(?) with some additional parts, as are Mark1's Hunter kits - my apologies if the name is incorrect.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

I made a start on painting the Marineflieger 104G today. I sprayed some Hataka International Orange on the wingtip tanks and these are ready for masking up for the upper and lower colours. After that I masked off the demarcation for fuselage upper and lower colours and brushed on a couple of coats of top colour using a Dark Grey from the Ammo by Mig Marineflieger set. 

52151968339_1c4c5ec397_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Back with more soon.

John

• Like 5

On 17/06/2022 at 10:08, modelling minion said:

Great start on the painting John, the orange on the tip tanks looks very good and will add a nice splash of colour.

🇺🇦

On 17/06/2022 at 20:13, Hockeyboy76 said:

Looks great dude. 

Cheers Chaps. After a couple of days of hectic domesticity, I got back to working on the Marineflieger 104G today, finally getting things to the decal stage after adding the main wheels a short whilae ago.  

52158858035_9e7159a25e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52157348722_117e7daea5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

John

• Like 4

still hard to get my head around how small this is.

its looking great.

funny how the marinefleiger starfighters had no anti-glare paint scheme forward of the cockpit ending at the nose tip, most other liveries do.

• Like 1

On 19/06/2022 at 20:16, modelling minion said:

Thats looking really smart John.👍

🇺🇦

On 19/06/2022 at 23:15, Davek72 said:

Very smart indeed.  

On 20/06/2022 at 17:54, Dansk said:

still hard to get my head around how small this is.

its looking great.

funny how the marinefleiger starfighters had no anti-glare paint scheme forward of the cockpit ending at the nose tip, most other liveries do.

Thanks guys, I managed to get the decals on this afternoon, so this one is almost finished - undercarriage doors to add and the Master replacement brass pitot to paint up, followed by a coat of clear to seal everything in.

I am as puzzled as you about the lack of anti-glare panel Paul, I have seen some models of Marineflieger schemes with it painted in. :shrug: Images I have found of this particular aircraft does not show it though.

52166174854_426664d5ec_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52165942328_b8f03cf2ce_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers

John

• Like 5

I have made start on painting my second option for this European Starfighter boxing with a white primer coat, then I masked off the upper wing area in preparation for the main grey colour.

52171549316_072f0d3d61_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52171706706_503b14eb08_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52171712253_6f7c4acfd0_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I hope to press on with some of the detail painting tomorrow..

John

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Dansk said:

I wish I was even half as productive as you John 

It's one advantage to being retired Paul. I just have to get Mrs N to stop filling my downtime by finding me other things to do - at least she is out horse riding twice a week :lol:

John