Best available paint chips for French WWII colors

Milos Gazdic

Which one did you build, Colin? Nº302 or Nº397? I have been bothering everyone around with these machines. And when I started finally believing that they could have indeed been Chamois, the new unknown color pops up :) and messes it all up!

14 minutes ago, Milos Gazdic said:

Which one did you build, Colin? Nº302 or Nº397?

spacer.png

Cheers

Colin

• Like 4

Hello Dennis,
Two charts you have posted above are basically two different scans of the same chart published in this book:

file.php?id=143558

written by Christian-Jacques Ehrengardt.
I will have to read through the book but I have only French version, not English so it's gonna take time for me to scan & translate it... but CJE does mention Sahara Yellow!
Could that be an answer for Nº302 & Nº397 camouflage? He also seem to show Nº397 in the book in different color :(

• Like 2

I have got in touch with Bob Migliardi from Iliad Design after ordering things from his website. He was kind to share some things with me, among them there was a "L'aviation française 1940-1945. Carnet des Teintes" color card. I am waiting for him for the reply but these ABT chips are similar in age (same company making them) like the ones posted by Dennis, on Monday, but they seem to contain two colors that are yellowish too. Text is not easy to read due to the super small resolution of the image but if I enlarge a bit, and sharpen in photoshop a lot, I can read under the one in 2nd column, 6th row "• jaune sahara ???". I am not 100% but it seems like that... which could further confirm the existence of such color to ignorant me. Waiting for Bob's reply on some of my questions but as I've understood this is the only image he has of these charts... so anyone out there with better scans maybe?

file.php?id=143616

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Milos Gazdic said:

Wow!

And imagine having access to that little booklet posted in the middle of your post :) Wouldn't that be incredible?

Sure would, it's a shame I could not find more about it.

Cheers

Dennis

• 4 weeks later...

"Secretariat d'etat de l'air" doesn't seem to be a pre-War/Wartihe French post? I can't find a reference to a French secretary of state like that. Vichy had a secretariat d'etat a l'aviation. France had a ministere de l"air but that's not the same title. There are secretaires d'etat de l'air post war however. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 12:16 AM, Super Aereo said:

AFAIK Jaune Sahara was supposed to be a temporary, washable finish for use in desertic areas, at least according to C-J Ehrengardt

I didn't have time to translate CJE's booklet that I have & I am still waiting for his last Camouflage book to arrive to Shanghai. If Jaune Sahara was really temporary, washable paint then it would be hard for 302 & 397 to be painted with it - since they looked too neatly painted and glossy. Majority of temporary paints I've seen have mat look to them - but this is my personal perception of things I have seen. 

"Secretariat d'etat de l'air" doesn't seem to be a pre-War/Wartihe French post?

Hello Phoenix. Based on info, the chart posted above Dennis' post is post-war one? 

On 7/10/2022 at 2:47 PM, Milos Gazdic said:

I didn't have time to translate CJE's booklet that I have & I am still waiting for his last Camouflage book to arrive to Shanghai. If Jaune Sahara was really temporary, washable paint then it would be hard for 302 & 397 to be painted with it - since they looked too neatly painted and glossy. Majority of temporary paints I've seen have mat look to them - but this is my personal perception of things I have seen. 

Hello Milos,

This would certainly appear to be the case for Russian winter camo and - judging from most photos - for German winter camo and washable night (black) camouflage.

The colours used on 302 and 397 are a bit of a conundrum, alas...

Flavio

• Like 1