F-100F Super Sabre - Finished 25/8/22

As I said in the Group Build chat pages, this kit has been in and out of work since around 2007, but has been quickly pushed onto a back-burner in preference for other projects - this time around it will be finished. I haven't come across the decals for this kit but I may have popped them into my decals box, so I will have a check later. 

52115703514_b5847ff956_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52114434187_78a8d2f7e6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52115968130_e4e19d402b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 5

Thanks Craig. I should definitely finish it this time around, though Mrs N and I do have a major anniversary to celebrate this year, so I guess some time should be taken out for that. :hmmm:Perhaps I could work on it whilst she celebrates - err whats that rolling across the floor, no better not. :fight: :lol:

John

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

I made a (re)start on this over the weekend, painting up the cockpit parts, adding the resin nosewheel bay and fixing the cockpit assembly in position. The cockpit detail is a little sparse but with a few spurious bits of colour dotted about to liven it up it will suffice under the canopy.

52229383231_25cda8fbc3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52228379162_46d9812a12_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

After the previous two days of high temperatures, yesterday I took advantage of the cooler evening to sit out and assemble the fuselage.

52229863180_bbc200fea3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52229651979_1cb7592a35_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52229387183_e91315fc89_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I had to add some plastic strip to the side of the gun panel to improve the fit and keep it from falling through the opening, it still needs some further work to sort it out.

52228379377_d427229732_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52229387778_b455a8fa0f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

John.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I have been plodding along with this since the last update. The wings are on, the canopy was fitted and the kit pitot has been replaced with a Master turned brass part. I had intended to finish this as a Wild Weasel aircraft but sourcing suitable weapons (particularly a pair LAU-34's) was proving difficult, so it was on to Plan B - or is it Plan C now :shrug:- and go with a kit option. Unable to find suitable images to back up the nose marking around the intake of the USAF option (Version A in the kit) I have decided to use the markings provided for a 100F of the RDAF; Eskadrille 725 based at Karup, so duly primed and with paint from a Tamiya rattle can applied to most of the parts, this is how things look now.

52263087338_9470243a82_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52263076081_57eff0fda5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52263076016_979f02af08_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I still have to paint up a few details before I can start on the decals, but I hope to have this wrapped up before heading off to the Lake District next weekend, where we will be celebrating our 40th Wedding Anniversary. I don't think that SWMBO will let me take it with me - she can be so unreasonable at times.  :rant::fight:

:lol: John

• Like 5

Thats a great finish for a rattle can John, very nice indeed.

Your slightly enforced choice of a Danish aircraft is still a very good one and the Danish roundels stand out nicely against the metallic finish.

Congratulations on your 40th wedding anniversary mate, hope you have a great weekend, or at least as good a one as is possible with no modelling involved.😉

🇺🇦

• Like 1

On 04/08/2022 at 19:12, modelling minion said:

Thats a great finish for a rattle can John, very nice indeed.

Your slightly enforced choice of a Danish aircraft is still a very good one and the Danish roundels stand out nicely against the metallic finish.

Congratulations on your 40th wedding anniversary mate, hope you have a great weekend, or at least as good a one as is possible with no modelling involved.😉

🇺🇦

Thanks for your comment and good wishes Craig, The recent jewellery purchase has earned me a few brownie points, but I don't think that it is going to be enough for me to take the kit and tools away. :lol:

John

On 06/08/2022 at 23:16, Dansk said:

looking great. i think a panel line accent wash will really make things pop when you get to that stage. 

congrats with 40. 👏 i just celebrated 10 with my wife last week.

Cheers Paul. I hope that things go better with the wash this time around, I don't think that I left enough time before wiping it off on the Starfighter build - we will see how things go.

Congratulations to you and your wife for your 10th anniversary. Don't worry buddy, by the time you get to 40 years you may just about be getting to know her little nuances. :lol:

John

Update time.

I have spent the past couple of days tinkering about with a few of Citadel's Shade paints attempting to recreate the heat staining on the rear fuselage. I have based it on an image of a French F-100 found in a copy of Detail and Scale that I have, so started the process by giving the area a coat of a slightly darker metallic colour than the TS-17 Gloss Aluminium used overall, before brushing on several layers of the shade colours until I was happy with the depth of colour. Here are the results after completing one side.

I was hoping for something similar to this.

52273549467_e9bd277c55.jpg

The colour palette.

52274253841_ae1f21e6df_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

One side completed.

52274274088_689b9bc95d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Opposite side underway

52273281577_83d1cc6853_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Thanks for checking in.

John

• Like 13

12 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice work John, I think that has worked out very well, think I am going to have a look for some of those myself.👍

🇺🇦

Thanks Craig. It's the first time that I have tried this technique and I think that it has turned out OK. In the hands of a more proficient user the colours can be wet blended together to give the appearance of them merging into one another - I tried this out but I wasn't very successful this time around. 

If you do decide to give these a go, then I would advise that you apply them in thin coats, allowing time for each layer to dry before applying the next, and watch for them pooling around details or at the bottom of surfaces. Recommendations are that you allow 45mins for them to dry thoroughly, but by applying them thinly the time between layers can be cut down.

Cheers

John

• Like 2

Hi John,

I like what you have done with the Citadel shades. Looks like some more paint to experiment with. I'll have to try these.

Ray

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Hi John,

I like what you have done with the Citadel shades. Looks like some more paint to experiment with. I'll have to try these.

Ray

Cheers Ray, and good luck with the experiments if you choose to go down this route.

John

Very nice work on the Hun! I have one that I plan to do as a Danish aircraft, but as a single-seater (F-100D) with that wonderfully foetid green* paint they used.

Regards,

Jason

*It may actually be the 'Ichor Green' that H.P. Lovecraft wrote about.

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 4:33 PM, nimrod54 said:

I have spent the past couple of days tinkering about with a few of Citadel's Shade paints attempting to recreate the heat staining on the rear fuselage. I have based it on an image of a French F-100 found in a copy of Detail and Scale that I have, so started the process by giving the area a coat of a slightly darker metallic colour than the TS-17 Gloss Aluminium used overall, before brushing on several layers of the shade colours until I was happy with the depth of colour. Here are the results after completing one side.

Hi John, do you know id those citadel paints are airbushable (if there is such a word!)? 

Martin

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi John, do you know id those citadel paints are airbushable (if there is such a word!)? 

Martin

Hi Martin, they are very thin liquids in the bottle and are water based colours. They should airbrush ok providing the same caveats for airbrushing thin liquids are followed, and you watch for any spidering etc. I brushed mine on so didn't have that issue, it's worth checking before you buy though. 

HTH

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1