1/48 Bf109 F4 Trop, 'Marseille'

Straight from the off, this is NOT my model, as such, and in truth I have been very undecided over the years as to whether I should actually finish this or not. 

This is the 1/48 Hasegawa Bf109 F4 Trop, in the markings of H.J. Marseilles, started and initially built by former Britmodeller member @jagmate in 2006. For those that do not know, @jagmate was in fact Steve Shutt, former 41 Sqn Jaguar pilot based at RAF Coltishall (my local RAF base) and he was also an enthusiastic model maker; I first got to know Steve when he attended our local model club here in Norwich (our friendship stemmed from there) and when he started building this model, back in 2006, the intention was to eventually post pics of it here on Britmodeller. As you do ..... 

Also as some of you may well know, I owned and ran 'Paragon Designs' for many years (manufacturing aftermarket resin, photo-etch, and vac-form components for model aircraft kits) and to put it mildly, some of the items that I manufactured were a direct result of the help and input provided by Steve, namely the 1/48 aftermarket resin detail sets for the Airfix Jaguar GR1/3 kits. In particular, Paragon Designs set 48095, the RAF Jaguar T2 conversion for the Airfix single seat GR1/3 kit, would NEVER of seen the light of day if it had not been for Steve, he arranged personal visits for me to RAF Coltishall for almost unlimited access to one of the T2 Jaguars in the hangar, for reference pics, measurements etc etc. 

Steve was also a veteran of the first Gulf War of 1990/91, flying combat missions, his Jaguar aircraft being XX725, 'Johnny Fartpants', and I think I am correct in saying that he also dropped the RAF's first live ordnance in combat over mainland Europe, since WWII, during the Bosnian conflict.

He flew commercial aircraft for a major airline after leaving the RAF in the mid 90's, mainly in the Far East and Pacific region, and would make regular visits to me at my workshop here in Norwich, while I still ran Paragon Designs, on the occasions that he was back in the UK, from the mid 2000's onwards. He started this particular 1/48 Bf109 kit while visiting my workshop (he left the started kit with me at my workshop, and would drop in when he had the rare chance, to tinker with it, do a bit to it, here and there, as and when he could ...). Unfortunately during 2008, while taking Ian Davies, from Archant media, for a flight at Seething airfield in Steve's own Christen Eagle aerobatic 'plane, when landing they struck a crop-spraying tractor which was crossing the threshold of the runway, regrettably resulting in the immediate fatality of Ian, and a few weeks later of Steve after being taken to Addenbrookes Hospital. It goes without saying, an understandably huge loss to all family and friends of Ian and Steve. 

In the whole scheme of things it may seem trivial as such, but Steve's started, and 90% built, model of this Bf109 has remained in my possession since then, and I have been loath to do anything with it for more than 14 years. However, Steve's original intention was to post pics of it, back then, on this forum, once it was completed, so here you go.  It seemed pointless to keep it packed away in box for no good reason, after being 90% finished, so I decided to bring the model to a finished state, without making wholesale changes to it, hopefully keeping the completed model within the bounds of Steve's original intentions.

The pic below, taken back then, shows the basic model assembled by Steve, with black pre-shading he airbrushed along panel lines etc. 

52123849339_ab8c9663be_o.jpg

Underside view, camo colours applied.

52124108330_550785b26e_o.jpg

After over 14 years, this is the model, below, taken out of it's storage box last week, essentially 90% finished, how Steve left it in my workshop, with various sub assemblies such as wheels, prop, undercarriage legs etc all sprayed up ready for fitting. The canopy sections were still unpainted, so I airbrushed those ready for assembly a few days ago.

52121916578_be7370a200_o.jpg

After fitting all of the sub-assemblies a day or two back, I gave the model an overall covering of Matt Clear varnish, with a touch of White added to it, to try and give a used, faded, look to it,. In the dry, dusty, hot North African climate, the finish may of bleached-out and worn like this? Added a few wear marks to the wing roots and canopy opening too. I wanted to see the model finally completed, but hopefully without detracting from the input Steve had done it previously.

52120855097_3819e253ac_o.jpg

52122130704_286b47cfe6_o.jpg

52120857182_6be5b9d427_o.jpg

52122132669_a72642fd74_o.jpg

52121923628_4751cf874a_o.jpg

52121892576_f139de9eb3_o.jpg

52122395880_26ae5fb683_o.jpg

Pic below, the man himself, Steve Shutt, former 41 Sqn Jaguar, at RAF Akrotiri, Cyprus, 1991, just after the first Gulf War, beside XX725 'Johnny Fartpants' the aircraft he flew during that conflict.  A finer chap you could NEVER hope to meet.

52121927423_265c901745_o.jpg

Blue skies.....

B)

• Like 54
  • Thanks 10

I think you did it justice. Steve sounded like a  great  guy. An all around aviation enthusiast by the  sound of it. He'd be pleased looking down from the pilot's bar up there in the blue sky. 

• Like 1

That is one impressive looking 109 and in Marseille`s colors & markings to boot.  Kudos on the tribute to Mr Shutt and his outstanding work during the early 90`s.  :like:

So is a Jaguar, “Johnny Fartpants” in future plans to be built by you???????

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind remarks, Steve was a thoroughly likeable bloke, and it was always a pleasure to see him, he was a well liked person by all who knew him. The world became a poorer place without him.

As I mentioned regarding the model, I was unsure what to actually do with it for a long time, and decided that ultimately it seemed a shame just to keep it boxed up and unseen especially as it required so little extra work to finish it. It was intended to put pics of it on here, so I am pleased that it has now finally been finished and shown.

Thanks again for the comments and replies. 

B)

I think you have done a fine job finishing your friend's build.  I'm sure he would be pleased with the finished result.

Edited by BleedingBlue
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

So is a Jaguar, “Johnny Fartpants” in future plans to be built by you???????

Mike

Steve asked me to build one for him shortly after returning back to the UK after the first Gulf War, way back then funnily enough!  .  I based it on the 1/72 Hasegawa kit, using Modeldecals I think they were, and Steve asked me to put a loadout of 2 x overwing Sidewinders, 4 x 1000lb bombs, a centreline drop tank, ALQ 101 pod and Phimat chaff dispenser on it, which would of been a fairly typical weapon load.  I constructed it in the take-off configuration, at the point of rotation on the runway, with flaps and slats deployed, nose leg extended with no weight on it, and nose-high just before leaving the runway. Four metal pins were fixed into each main-wheel tyre which also located in holes drilled in the base, the model was then self supporting without additional aids, as if it were just about to take off.   I was very pleased with how it turned out, and Steve seemed quite happy with it too .

52125971022_c100b40595_o.jpg

52127493880_7e4c2734f7_o.jpg

52126997981_7da170f632_o.jpg

B)

• Like 19

I know I would be happy with the way you have finished the 109 and I am sure your friend would be delighted that you have brought it over the finish line for him. 

Duncan B

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2022 at 4:42 PM, Neil said:

Pic below, the man himself, Steve Shutt, former 41 Sqn Jaguar, at RAF Akrotiri, Cyprus, 1991, just after the first Gulf War, beside XX725 'Johnny Fartpants' the aircraft he flew during that conflict.  A finer chap you could NEVER hope to meet.

52121927423_265c901745_o.jpg

Blue skies.....

B)

........and Jaguar XX725 still exists today, at Cosford, although without it's 'Johnny Fartpants' nose art.   

Link below:

https://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/jaguar/survivor.php?id=999

In a way, nice to see that it is still around.

B)

• Like 1

A fitting legacy completion well photographed. Most interesting to read about Flt Lt Steve Shutt, RIP. The Bf 109F series is the best looking of the breed in my opinion. Your faded paint finish and weathering is tastefully done. I understand that WW2 era paints developed a chalky finish sometimes after only a short while in harsh desert sunlight (certainly the case in Australia to this day).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/06/2022 at 16:42, Neil said:

Blue skies.....

....and fair winds.

Marvellous job on finishing Steve's build Neil - I bet he's been cursing you for years to get it finished for him! :)

What a tragic shame that such a brave guy who survived so many combat missions should be lost with his friend in such a way. 

He'll be well pleased with the finished Friedrich :nodding:

Keith

• Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 2:39 AM, simonj said:

two beauts, a wonderful tribute

On 7/9/2022 at 8:11 AM, keefr22 said:

....and fair winds.

Marvellous job on finishing Steve's build Neil - I bet he's been cursing you for years to get it finished for him! :)

What a tragic shame that such a brave guy who survived so many combat missions should be lost with his friend in such a way. 

He'll be well pleased with the finished Friedrich :nodding:

Keith

On 7/9/2022 at 4:29 PM, Kagemusha said:

What an amazing thread, you've done Steve proud getting his 109 over the line, and his Jag is equally superb.

Thanks again for the kind comments.  As I mentioned, I was in two minds what to do with the model for years, I was rather reluctant to touch it I have to admit. However, I came to the conclusion that it seemed such a shame not to finish it, as it was so close to completion, ultimately, and the original intention was to post pics of it here on BM anyway.  As it turned out, I had very, very little to do to it actually, my input was absolutely minimal, Steve was the one who did all of the main work to it.

B) 

• Like 4