Beaufighter Mk.X. Matchbox 1:72

Hello,

Latest off the production line for your perusal ..

Brush job, Humbrol and Revell paints...   Out of the box apart from the control yolk made from bits of an Airfix Wildcat landing gear.

The decals went on a treat considering the age of them and very discoloured, I cut the letters out and trimmed the roundels very close.

DSC_2532~2 DSC_2536 DSC_2531 DSC_2534 DSC_2533 DSC_2537 DSC_2540

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Was thinking I don't know any AFVs called Beaufighter!!? But apart from the fact that it's missing any tracks and in the wrong RFI section, it looks great!! Very well done HT!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

It looks great, but as a tank, in my opinion, it is too wide - it shouldn't be very convenient to fight in it on the city streets, but who knows, maybe for the protection of the larger town squares, it could be suitable... :)

Vytautas

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

For future reference, torpedo and rockets were never carried at the same time. It's either one or the other. 

Chris

Arrh, didn't know that....  Thanks 👍 ..   Appreciate you telling me that as hate to make mistakes ..  Now have to decide to remove the rockets or the torpedo...  Was not that impressed with the rockets and have considered using the rockets from a Tamiya Mossie I did that are surplus - far superior in detail.

The Matchbox instructions show the torpedo as all red in colour, yet the box art show only the tip in red.  Pics of actual aircraft show torpedoes as black or sometimes black tip and rest silver\alloy in colour ...

Cheers for the info Chris.

Yes, black warhead with steel body.

From Aviaeology:

51319006852_b2d1acdb5b_b.jpg

The bodies were also smeared with grease to help seal the internals from seawater.

51110465456_eef2670091_c.jpg

52004359113_38029dff4f_b.jpg

Chris

• Thanks 1

Lovely aircraft and matchbox kits were really good fun to build. I've read some bad things about Matchbox but of all the models I built they were the one I never had any problems with. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Yes, black warhead with steel body.

From Aviaeology:

51319006852_b2d1acdb5b_b.jpg

The bodies were also smeared with grease to help seal the internals from seawater.

51110465456_eef2670091_c.jpg

52004359113_38029dff4f_b.jpg

Chris

Thanks Chris..   Very informative.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, James K said:

Lovely aircraft and matchbox kits were really good fun to build. I've read some bad things about Matchbox but of all the models I built they were the one I never had any problems with. 

Many of their kits very good back in the day even now they still build up pretty good.   Most of the fit on this kit as good as most modern kits and virtually no flash.

To be fair to Matchbox (and Airfix), I have a 60s book with a TF.X flying along with empty rocket rails AND empty torpedo brackets!  Perhaps it was just for publicity but if so why not "loaded for bear"? 😎

• Like 1

• 7 months later...