Westland Lynx Canopy?

Phoenix673

Could anyone please confirm the colour of the tint of the roof section on the Lynx?

Having scoured many sources I am still at a loss as to the actual colour...is it green or blue? Any help would be gratefully received!

Cheers,

Kevin

Caveat emptor and all that, dozens of Variants and operators- but most of the ones I have seen and are on Airliners.net are a dark grey/ black tint. Like a nice pair of sunglasses. Now, a Mk 4  in 1978 might be a different kettle of fish.  Let's see if these links from Airliners.net work...

Lynx AH Mk7

Lynx HAS Mk2

Lynx Mk25 (1984)

And one from the Inside

Lynx AH Mk7 Cabin

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Troffa said:

Caveat emptor and all that, dozens of Variants and operators- but most of the ones I have seen and are on Airliners.net are a dark grey/ black tint. Like a nice pair of sunglasses. Now, a Mk 4  in 1978 might be a different kettle of fish.  Let's see if these links from Airliners.net work...

Lynx AH Mk7

Lynx HAS Mk2

Lynx Mk25 (1984)

And one from the Inside

Lynx AH Mk7 Cabin

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply Troffa.....that's added another colour to my confusion!

19 hours ago, Julien said:

Looks very much like @Troffa suggests;

rm7%2012.jpg

DH%2010.jpg

Even on the earlier HAS.2

xx910%2014.jpg

And as far back as G-LYNX

g03.JPG

More shots in the walkaround section.

Thanks for your reply Julien....some useful snaps there!!

• Like 2

Definitely dark grey, but can appear to have a brownish/blueish tint when looking out (depending on the ambient lighting).

Although not cold war, nor specifically mentioned in the original question - the Wildcat is more or less the same.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Definitely dark grey, but can appear to have a brownish/blueish tint when looking out (depending on the ambient lighting).

Although not cold war, nor specifically mentioned in the original question - the Wildcat is more or less the same.

Many thanks wellsprop...would a smoke tint be more representative as opposed to a transparent blue or green? The number of completed kits on the web appear to be coloured blue or green (hence my question)

14 hours ago, Phoenix673 said:

Many thanks wellsprop...would a smoke tint be more representative as opposed to a transparent blue or green? The number of completed kits on the web appear to be coloured blue or green (hence my question)

12 hours ago, Julien said:

I would go with smoke

As above, definitely smoke.

Depending on the angle you look at it and ambient lighting, it can appear to be very very heavily tinted too.

This modeller has done a very fine job, probably the most accurately tinted canopy I've seen on the Airfix Lynx.

How do you plan to do the tinting? I previously tinted an Airfix Lynx canopy (incorrectly) green using ink and humbrol gloss.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wellsprop said:

As above, definitely smoke.

Depending on the angle you look at it and ambient lighting, it can appear to be very very heavily tinted too.

This modeller has done a very fine job, probably the most accurately tinted canopy I've seen on the Airfix Lynx.

How do you plan to do the tinting? I previously tinted an Airfix Lynx canopy (incorrectly) green using ink and humbrol gloss.

I will spray the inside (after masking of course!) with Tamiya smoke.....I'll play it by ear as to how many coats it gets although given the description, I'll probably go quite dark?

• Like 1