Three's company! (Yet another 1:72 EE Lightning)

On Thursday night, with the upcoming long weekend, I had decided I could no longer hold back the urge to start another lightning.

I'll be honest, not many photos of this one so far, been making excellent, fast progress the past few days.

I digress, here's the few photos I do have of the build so far.

As always, I started off by redoing the shockingly poorly detailed ejection seat.

This is my finest work yet, I am very proud.

c36f1379dcf196ea2731b12e5bcb3e46.jpg

I then threw the cockpit and engines together and got working on the painting.

3038ec7a4a20d09504633ad1f6194fc7.jpg

This afternoon she looked like this:

ce62aab9c097ddae2d76aefcc01d1f84.jpg

And here she is next to my other two, with dry-fitted gear to make it more presentable.

15fc543559e0ab21e2fca5811c887bed.jpg

She still needs paint touch-ups in areas but this is definitely feeling like a speed build.

Hopefully more updates soon.

• Like 3

Slower progress the past few days but progress nonetheless. Still one of my fastest builds currently.

Landing gear has been painted and the airframe is just about ready for the all-important panelling that makes these NMF models pop

5f1f45edf460d155b78b5504be420dee.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In the past few days I finished the paneling (quite subtle in most areas, can't really be seen from this angle) and today I started applying decals.

130d7c138c17c667e4fb326cbbd54094.jpg

I have to say, I love how these three look together.

ed9020c2a7741a9891a7a515725ebcfa.jpg

• Like 3

I have since fallen slightly ill which is going to hamper my progress (nothing serious, most likely a more annoying cold).

I have done about a third of stencils today though so I may still finish quite quickly. Not going to push myself though (as much as I want to see this finished)

@KingTiger435, you have noticed how once you build one Lightning it is difficult to stop there! I caught the bug many years ago when I lived at RAF Leuchars and Lightnings were based there (2 Squadrons) and they were already my fave plane. I have about 10 built at the moment from my current incursion into modelling, with 4 more in the stash at the same scale (1/72) and two bigger ones to start. And I still will not run out of schemes...

You are doing a cracking job with the three you have (so far!). I find it usually takes me 4 days to deal with all the stencils, but find it strangely satisfying (couldn't spell therapeutic!) when they are all done.

Recover soon,

Ray

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ray S said:

@KingTiger435, you have noticed how once you build one Lightning it is difficult to stop there! I caught the bug many years ago when I lived at RAF Leuchars and Lightnings were based there (2 Squadrons) and they were already my fave plane. I have about 10 built at the moment from my current incursion into modelling, with 4 more in the stash at the same scale (1/72) and two bigger ones to start. And I still will not run out of schemes...

You are doing a cracking job with the three you have (so far!). I find it usually takes me 4 days to deal with all the stencils, but find it strangely satisfying (couldn't spell therapeutic!) when they are all done.

Recover soon,

Ray

Thanks Ray, that's quite a collection! I hope to have one like that one day (I currently have 7 in total, 3 done (almost), 3 in stash and one restoration.

Anyway

I have a bit of unfortunate news

I did not sleep (at all) last night and had a high temperature.

And sure enough I did another test today and...

428efb1776489ccc6b1426f8dde11470.jpg

:rant:

This is now officially a self isolation build.

Stencils are done however! I am pushing through covid.

I'm still rather annoyed however that I managed to avoid it for two years (including a time I spent self isolating with a family member and I didn't catch it) and just now suddenly caught it randomly.

Edited by KingTiger435
*now not not

4 minutes ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Very nice. What kit and how did you do the paneling?

Thanks

John (currently nervously awaiting a covid test result)

Airfix 1:72 Lightning F.2A A04054
I did "paneling" as I call it by using a slightly darker metallic paint (compared to the rest of the airframe) on some panels

I hope your test comes back negative!