Handley Page O/400***FINISHED***

PeterB

2 hours ago, Mike N said:

You're doing a great job on a challenging kit, Pete. Looks like you're not too far off.

Knowing you, you start another entry for this GB, even more complex than the last. I'll therefore look forward to your scratch-built Saro Princess with full interior and operating tip floats :)

Mike 

No chance Mike, I have entries in 2 other GB to finish by July 24th. Actually I did actually see one, possibly two Princess flying boats back when they were still mothballed on the slip when on the ferry to Cowes - not quite close enough for the photo to be very clear and there was another ship in the way. I believe they were scrapped shortly afterwards.

Pete

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PeterB said:

Actually I did actually see one, possibly two Princess flying boats back when they were still mothballed on the slip when on the ferry to Cowes - not quite close enough for the photo to be very clear and there was another ship in the way. I believe they were scrapped shortly afterwards.

Pete

What a sight that must've been!

• Like 1

I managed to get the wings on overnight - rather messy and far from perfect but could be worse. Three of the joints are not too bad but the lower starboard one opened up a little in spite of tape and a crude jig. Nothing that can't be filled but it may be at least part of the reason that wing has a bit more dihedral than the port one - it is going to have to do!

DSC06792-crop

It is going to be touch and go with the ruddy paint - I have ordered another tin but that probably wont arrive until next week so it may not be 100% complete by the deadline unless we get an extension. Still - I did say I might not manage it. With hindsight I would probably have been better ignoring the instructions and building the wings up in a more conventional manner, and then sorted out the rigging using a different method - maybe this was a kit too far for this GB!

Pete

• Like 2

The undercarriage is another of Airfix's "modular constructions" and was a real PITTA! It involved getting 5 pins into locating slots/holes, two of which were at the edge of the centre section and needed cleaning out as glue had got in them from when the wings were attached. Handling it with the wings on and rigged was a nightmare and yet again I think it would have been better to fit it before adding the wings. Anyway it is on and all 4 wheels just about touch the ground.

DSC06796-crop

If anything it has made the difference in dihedral between the two wings even more obvious so not one of my better builds , but I guess my 16 year old self would have been pleased with it! Just above the engine the O/400 had a couple of horizontal ladder like things - presumably some sort of platform or walkway, perhaps to gain access to the locking pins I presume were at the leading edge so that the wing could be folded back. Airfix just have them glued to the triangular strut above the engine, but in real life they seem to have also had bracing rods or wires nearer the front so I have added some from stretched sprue - you will perhaps be able to see them better when I take some more pics from a different angle.

As I feared the paint has run out so when the new tin arrives I will have a bit of touching up to do - hope it matches the old White Ensign version. I will try and get the remaining decs on, and then I will add the gun mounts and guns. The kit Lewis guns are rather small so I will treat it to some of my stock of Aeroclub white metal ones.

DSC06794-crop

After that, all that remains is the pitot tube, windscreens, props and the little cart that went under the tailskid to move it around on the ground.

More as and when.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 6

I gather we have got an extension which means that I can slow down a bit and get on with builds in other GB. I am not going to build any more in this one, tempting though it may be as I still want to build three other kits in the next 5 or so weeks, one of which could be a little tricky!

Pete

Earlier on I mentioned that the holes in the "grid" below the bomb rack were originally fitted with hinged metal flaps, but that they were soon damaged and so brown paper was glued over them instead. The bombs broke through it easily enough when dropped, but of course it then left a series of gaping holes under the fuselage which made it ruddy cold for the crew on the return journey. Well, I have had a go at modelling them using toilet tissue stuck on and then coated with dilute PVA glue.

DSC06818-crop

I will give it a couple more coats of diluted glue to strengthen it then some very diluted paint will be applied - no idea what colour to use as I don't know whether the paper was painted/coloured in any way or just left a natural light brown. In the above photo you can see, starting from the front of the nose, the pitot tube, small window for the pilot to see the ground presumably, and just in front of the wheels the triangular access door in a closed position. Behind the "bomb bay" is the grating which would be opened when the ventral Lewis gun was in use. You can also see why the undercarriage had to be in two units to provide clearance for the bombs to drop.

Everything is now on except the windscreens and guns, all of which will be added once I have sprayed on a finishing coat of varnish - past experienced shows I will need to keep it a light coat to avoid problems with the rigging thread.

Pete

• Like 4

Silly really but every time I mention brown paper (aka Kraft Paper or Sack Paper) I am reminded of John Tams character Private Hagman in the Sharpe TV series based on the books of Bernard Cornwell - his remedy for just about every ailment known to man was "Best Brown Paper" with or without oil or vinegar. Anyway, probably totally wrong but here is my take on it.

DSC06824-crop

The difference in colour of the "PC.10" is due to varnish on some areas and not others, and the lighting!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 5

Well, that is now done.

DSC06847-crop

Bombed and fuelled up and the armourers have just fitted the Lewis guns - just waiting for the crew to arrive!

You can see the strange horizontal ladder-like catwalks above the engines I mentioned earlier in the above shot, together with the braces I have fitted.

If and when we get some halfway decent weather I will take some pics for the gallery.

Pete

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, DaddyO said:

Lovin that 👏- might just buy the kit the next time I see one 😉

How about a Vimy follow up?  . . . . 

Paul

Well Paul,

I do happen to have the Novo boxings of the ancient Frog Vimy, but I gather it will need some work as it was originally the civilian Alcock and Brown trans Atlantic one with extra fuel tanks. I will hopefully get it built this year but there is not enough time in what is left of this GB - might end up in the KUTA! If you do decide to built the O/400, I would suggest not following the build sequence in the instructions if you are confident you can rig it another way - wing alignment and the undercarriage should be somewhat easier then. Also, I suspect that the wing walkway decs should really go between the fuselage and engine but at that stage I could not get them on there and they ended up outboard of the engine! Other than that it is a fairly straightforward build, and the boxing I had was fairly flash free with little sign of mould deterioration.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike N said:

Fantastic work, Pete! You have certainly put my work rate to shame, not to mention the level of ambition! Brilliant :)

Mike

Thanks Mike,

As I have mentioned before, being retired and pretty much housebound helps! Mind you, my wife is now in "decorating mode" which does slow me down a bit, particularly when I want to get in the kitchen to do a bit of airbrushing under the extractor hood - my spray booth is not big enough for the O/400, Stirling and the like. Bit better now we have done the kitchen but she is about to start on our bedroom, which will be fun.

Pete

• Haha 2

On 11/06/2022 at 21:28, PeterB said:

The real thing would probably look a bit like this on a Bristol Fighter in the Imperial War Museum -

IWM Bristol Fighter

but the chances of me managing anything like that in 1/72 scale are vanishingly small. 

Pete

Varnishingly surely :whistle:

Great stuff Pete

Cheers Pat

• Haha 2

As WWI drew to a close in 1918 the O/400 was replacing the O/100 in Squadron service and the much bigger 4 engined V/1500 was just starting to enter service, as was the smaller DH 10 sometimes called the Amiens and the Vickers Vimy. As I mentioned earlier the RAF decided that the Vimy was the best plane for their peacetime needs and so the other 3 soon were phased out. From then on the need for a heavy bomber was somewhat minimal and so a period of relative stagnation followed until the early 1930's. Before I go any further I will once more say that comparing speed and range of planes is not an exact science as there are too many variables, particularly bomb and fuel load, which are seldom given in the various reference books. All data below is from my Putnams book on the RAF.

The Vimy was replaced in around 1925 by the slightly larger Vickers Virginia, which was developed through numerous marks, the last of which was the Virginia X, by which time engine horsepower had gone from the 2 x 360HP or so in the Vimy and O/400 to around 2 x 570HP, but the speed seems to have remained at around 100mph, albeit with a somewhat heavier bombload. In parallel, HP produced their twin engined Hyderabad and later Hinadai which had a bombload of around 1500lb and with 2 x 440HP Jupiters the speed increased slightly to around 122 mph. Both the Virginia and Hinadai were replaced when the last RAF biplane bomber, the HP Heyford, arrived in late 1933. This rather curious looking machine had a pair of 575HP R-R Kestrel engines and carried a bombload of between 1500lb and 3500lb at speeds up to 142mph, but the days of the biplane were numbered with specifications issued in 1932 that would result in the Hampden and Wellington, and a 1934 spec that led to the Whitley. The next Handley Page bomber after the Hereford was therefore the Hampden which entered service in 1938, 20 years after the O/400 and had a normal bombload of 4000lb, a max of 6000lb over short ranges, and two 1000HP Pegasus engines giving a top speed of 254mph. Once more the threat of a future war had driven rapid improvements in performance.

As you may have guessed, this rant is a lead- in to a few “family group” photos!

DSC06864-crop

15 years after the O/400 the Heyford entered service - this is the Matchbox Heyford Mk II from 1935 and is painted in NIVO.

DSC06866-crop

Just 4 years later the Hampden arrived - this is the old Airfix kit. It looks tiny by comparison with the O/400, which would not be matched in size until the arrival of the Stirling, Halifax and Manchester.

Not a bad kit though I have had a few alignment problems, partly due to the modular construction method Airfix suggest. I am fairly pleased with the result.

Pete

• Like 8

• PeterB changed the title to Handley Page O/400***FINISHED***

Lovely build, I built one recent and found it to be a very difficult kit. Many times relegating it to the shelf of doom, before finally finishing it earlier this year. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

It really looks great. What a nice job you did here with that oldie!

If I ever dare to embark on a biplane build (Eduard's SE.5a waiting in the stash for 4 years b.o.) I now know who to bother for help and advice 😉

Congrats.

Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Pat,

You are always welcome to ask but I am no expert on rigging and the like. What scale is the SE.5a? I have a dozen or more WWI biplanes in my stash, mostly Roden or Eastern Express, but with the odd Airfix and some others including a Vickers Gunbus with etched rear frames which I keep putting off. All are in 1/72 and the rigging worries me a lot - the best way may be miniature turnbuckles! You can buy them, or alternatively make them from fuse wire I believe and I may give it a try. With rather less GB in the second half of the year that I will be joining, maybe I should start on some of them - after all there is always the next KUTA or two I could enter them in if they end up only part finishes😄.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

The SE.5a is 1/48 scale, so less "intimidating" than my other biplane kits that are all 1/72.

Seems we are both worried about rigging. What's more I am a serial parts breaker, which doesn't help when coming to struts and the like.

Maybe I should worry less and build more 🤔

Thanks for your comforting answer, I feel less alone.

Cheers.

Pat

• 1 year later...

Just a quick heads up to Pete that I succumbed at the weekend when I saw one of the O/400 kits on a stand for a paltry £15.00 :shocked: Well it would have been rude not to buy it . . . .so I did!

Looking through the parts I'm generally impressed, but it's a real whopper compared to my usual single seater WW1 bipes so the question will be can I fit it in the cabinet when it's all done or will I need to be on the look out for a bigger cabinet now as well 😁 (Building it with the wings folded feels a bit of cheat, unless I can get a suitable towing vehicle and a few figures to go with it)

Got a nice simple little parasol job on the bench first, but I'm already gathering references . . .

Paul

Edited by DaddyO
added text