1/72 German WWII collection/diorama project (info, diorama plans and diagrams, and model list)

Time to finally start documenting this monster of a project. I will already warn you, this WILL be a mess :wacko:.

This project has been running for about 7 - 8 years  (or something like that... :hmmm:) and it will be pretty impossible to document in any sort of a coherent way, but i will try my hardest to make this as readable as i can.

So, what this basically began as, was me finally stumbling upon a 1/72 scale model of the Krupp K5 Leopold, a model that i had been wanting for as long as i can remember. After i had picked it up, i started thinking "on it's own, this ain't gonna do much for me, but maby this would be a good opportunity for me to start my first honest to good diorama project". I picked up whatever models felt the most fitting, what where actually available and fit my budget, and started planning.

And here we are, after dozens of model builds and over 200 painted/built figures later, the planning still continues.

I would say it wasn't my intention to build an army :whistle:, but that's what this is kinda turning into now...at-least partly...

This part of the project acts as the "hub" for this all. This is where i will be putting up all the project wide information and links to all the segments relating to this.

I will also be putting up everything diorama base related here, like plans and diagrams. This is where it shall all come together.

This is most certainly not going to be an exercise in precision. All the models so far, and for the foreseeable future, are straight out the box.

The models are meant to be interchangeable and not fixed to any of the diorama bases im going to make, so camos/versions of the vehicles may be a little out of place when next to each-other and some miniatures will likely see use on many dioramas.

Im basically not going for any sort of a specific theme of era with these, they will likely all be semi-fictional.

Model list: (this list is for model kits only. 3D-print's will be listed differently)

Spoiler

Was fortunate enough to save nearly all the boxes of models related to this collection, so i don't have to start writing them all down. Ill update this list once i have a good enough pile to take more shots like this.

List of ones that didn't have their boxes anymore:

Airfix 1/72 ruined workshop

Airfix 1/72 Forward command post

Airfix 1/72 Opel Blitz with Pak 40

Revell 1/72 Afrika korps set thingy

List of the ones that i had boxes for at some point in time:

CUoti43.jpg

KjIo3Qu.jpg

qNED8hD.jpg

VgKN2ps.jpg

MtPQvIz.jpg

BkTIm7t.jpg

(sorry for the duplicates in this pick)

As you can plainly see, i have a BIT of a liking for WWII German engineering. I dunno at what point in this project did it happen, but as far as 1/72 land based stuff goes, Germany has been my main, and pretty-much only focus for some years.

Right now, while i may have lots of models built, due to the way i like to do my builds and as a result of my standards getting upped since i joined, pretty-much all of the stuff is now WIP. That's what makes this such a mess... like how do you effectively document the build status of about 50 models at once...dear oh dear... :frantic:

I suppose the best way to do this... is to just do it.

Reason im putting all of this under one project, and if it wasn't clear from the start, all and i mean ALL, of those models are candidates for dioramas of some kind.

The main reason they aren't in one already, is because ive never made any proper dioramas in the past, ive certainly had the models to do so, but no diorama base to put them in.

So that's going to be new for me in this project, trying to create a convincing bit of terrain to display some of these models on.

Links to all the other segments:

More to be added at some point.

Diorama plans:

(Still need to come up with a good name): (semi fictional. somewhere near the Russian front. Later half of the war)

Spoiler

Since my plans for this have gone a bit upside down and all around, ill be putting up more in here once i can draw out some more detailed plans/diagrams for this.

So, for now, enjoy the... :tumble:...

:thanks: to everyone who has taken their time to check this out.

Edited by kapteenipirk
first segment added
  • Like 1