In memoriam Vought Vindicator ‒ aka Vibrator aka Wind Indicator

53092455377_d9d1fae847_c.jpg

The Vought SB2U received its official name rather late in its career (by 1941) but all the more quickly was it replaced by disparaging sobriquets - rather injudiciously. The Vindicator was an advanced design in its time, and most naval aviators that flew it on carrier operations commented approvingly. "It felt and acted like a stable, firm bombing and gunnery platform - we were happy flying it in competition with any of the equally current types." (Boone T. Guyton, VB-2).

51824097318_b600ca324c_b.jpg

This Marine Corps SB2U-3 of VMSB-131, which I built as my contribution to the 'Bomber/Strike/Ground Attack GB', was photographed at MCAS Quantico, VA in October 1941. Scout Bombing One Thirty-One turned in their last Vindicators in September 1942 when they became the first Marine squadron to be equipped with the TBF Avenger.

52122077908_75015399fc_b.jpg

For the groupbuild I used an Accurate Miniatures SB2U-2, bought many years ago with no specific concept in mind, which I scratch-converted to the Marine version and enhanced with parts from a HiPM kit plus aftermarket items (engine, cockpit, canopy, machine gun). The build was very enjoyable and can be studied in detail here.

52122045336_429b940fc0_b.jpg

Proceeding in service, 131-S-18, registered as BuNo 2056, departed from VMSB-131 in April 1942 to join VMSB-242 at Midway where it was absorbed into VMSB-241. Amazingly, it survived the Battle of Midway and was transferred to the Naval Air Operational Training Command (NAOTC) at NAS Jacksonville, FL. There it spun in and crashed on 30 October 1942 - its terminal dive, so to speak. This glorious plane will now live on in my model.

Michael

52122286524_6109c5d7dd_z.jpg

SUMMARY OF REFERENCES

THE ANNALS OF SUGAR BAKER TWO UNCLE, AIR ENTHUSIAST NO.8, LONDON, 1978

NAVY AIR COLORS VOL.1, DOLL / JACKSON / RILEY, CARROLLTON, 1983

THE OFFICIAL MONOGRAM US NAVY & MARINE CORPS AIRCRAFT COLOR GUIDE VOL.2, JOHN M. ELLIOT, STURBRIDGE, 1989

SB2U VINDICATOR, AIRCRAFT IN ACTION NO.122, TOM DOLL, CARROLLTON, 1992

US NAVY AIRCRAFT CAMOUFLAGE & MARKINGS 1940-1945, THOMAS E. DOLL, CARROLLTON, 2003

SB2U VINDICATOR, AIRCRAFT PICTORIAL 2, DANA BELL, TUCSON, 2009

VOUGHT SB2U VINDICATOR, NAVAL FIGHTERS NUMBER 106, STEVE GINTER / JOE WEATHERS, SIMI VALLEY, 2018

53092455357_595a2b73fb_b.jpg

• Like 34

Another nice result Michael. I like your thorough approach to studying your subject, which matches my own. Unfortunately there are no short-cuts to building accurate models.

• Thanks 1

Renewed interest in Accurate Miniatures' Vindicator, documented in a couple of recent posts, prompts me to present my model again. The associated WIP answers many questions about the convertibility of the early into a late version and the few errors inherent in the AM/Academy kit. I hope that my findings will be helpful for the interested modeller.