Adrian’s Hasegawa 1/72 F-102A/F-106A Delta Combo - F-102A finished.

One of the problems with the kit is the loose and uneven fit where the left partial fin inserts into an rebate in the right fin. I’ve glued some card strips around the partial fin to level up the surfaces and fill the gaps, and I will leave it to set thoroughly before sanding it all down to fit exactly(ish!):

E23-F1225-B1-CA-4-B34-A3-ED-915-E8-EA143

• Like 3

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

With the seat installed there isn't much else visible is there.

Thanks Craig. No there isn’t! I wanted to get the headrest shape right, and I did a bit more just to wrap it up, but I think it will do.

Thanks,

Adrian

• Like 2

Quick late night update:

E743418-E-0-CBB-4205-8300-FB0-D9-B905254

I’ve sanded down the fin packing so that the insert is now flush and gap-free. In the scheme I’ve chosen this will all be under a nice thick red Hasegawa decal, which I hope will cover a multitude of sins!

And after two panic attacks*, I got the halves stuck together:

58721-E3-D-C670-42-BD-B868-ADA7-EF51376-

1) I forgot the propeller!

2) I forgot the nose weight - more reasonable, but this one feels like a nose sitter, and were I to need it there’s space for a pound or so on top of the missile bay.

• Like 7

On 02/08/2022 at 12:11, modelling minion said:

good to see the fuselage fitted together.

You really wanted to say “about time too!”, didn’t you? ;)

On 06/08/2022 at 23:25, Dansk said:

you remembered to insert the cockpit tub right?

Nearly got me!

The fit was really good. A bit of light sanding and I’m there:

0-DCF63-AD-8544-4-A03-844-B-7-A624-D4-BC

I am going to scribe just the “real” cockpit canopy outline (not the outline of the transparency on the kit) and then ignore all other panel lines.

I’ve put a cover on the pitot tubes to delay the day where I have do drill some tiny holes in a thin fin and insert brass rod…

The Hansa Brandenburg D-1 is almost done and the Matador refueller that turned up in the middle of that is done too, so no excuses now!

• Like 5

The air intakes fit pretty nicely too:

E0-E107-FB-67-AB-4343-B13-C-DDDD886-AB66

I will need to fit a backing plate but otherwise they will only take a spot of filler and a light sanding to blend in. The opening canopy outline needs to be scribed first though.

• Like 6

Wing and intakes not permanently fitted at this point, but:

8-B8-B24-F1-D846-4-ADB-9-C7-B-E960-B6-CE

I need to scribe the canopy opening, clean up the intakes and add them, then I can have a big fill/sand/repeat session. I will detail the wheel wells and then add the wings, prep and paint. The missile bay I will work on separately and add at the end with all the other odds’n’sods. That’s the plan!

• Like 8

Too much work on this week, but today I snuck in a few minutes at the bench. I removed the wall between the undercarriage bays in preparation for doing some detailing:

62-C4608-C-622-B-4-A25-8544-DF0-D4026-A2

You will also note the stress marks on the plastic at the wingtips. The Hasegawa plastic has Case X wings and 61447 (the scheme I want to do) has Case XX wings. So I have done a lot of bending to eliminate the tip washout and to introduce the leading edge droop all the way to the tip. I will change the elevon outline to match in “proper” modelling time:

F4124-A8-E-DED8-4-CAD-BFF9-E2-E32-C5-CE0

• Like 6

Well I got sidetracked into adding detail that will Never Be Seen to a Spitfire cockpit yesterday, so today I thought I’d start with this. I’ve changed the elevon outline and eliminated the tip washout:

A4-A18400-5038-446-B-ABC7-24-B1252-E906-

In sunlight it all looks a little iffy but I filled it with superglue and it passes the fingernail test. A primer coat will reveal all, I guess…

• Like 7

Got some bench time this evening - full canopy outline scribed, XX wing elevon scribing refined and lower wing stuck on - airframe complete!

399-F9-A40-D278-4-A8-F-85-CA-2305838-FDB

The curved piece of plastic was left over from making Hudson cowlings - it will form the centrepiece of the wheel well detailing.

• Like 5

I like the cover for your pointy things. I really should do that more often too, with the amount of antennas I'm breaking off during the building...

Good looking Dagger and great work on converting the wings :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Airframe really complete this time:

AC3-E97-EF-FFEA-43-F3-B7-E0-E129-C672246

I’ve been amazed at how well the parts fit together and how well the joins sand down. Wheel well detail next and then I can address the joins and sink marks on the fin before firing up the paintbrush. The fin will be covered by a huge decal so that may be a blessing. Undercarriage and missile bay will be done at the end of the build.

I’ve scribed around the join of the nose cone because I need to paint it black, but I’m doing no more scribing. Pictures of the real thing show a very smooth surface and if I do want any panel lining I will use a pencil.

• Like 6