Adrian’s Hasegawa 1/72 F-102A/F-106A Delta Combo - F-102A finished.

39 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

started another WIP

Absolutely not!

Well, not yet….

The colour scheme is overall grey so I need one more coat of grey, a fairly simple black anti glare panel at the front, a burnt steel bit at the back, and* then there’s undercarriage, schmundercarriage.

What scares the babyjesus out of me is the decals, which include the whole fin and both wingtips in red/orange, and lotsa stencils. If they go wrong it could be very wrong, so I want to see those on before I succumb to the charms of a not particularly successful biplane in rather drab colours :)

Thanks,

Adrian

* Oxford comma specially for our new Health Minister…

[edit - it could have been a lot worse. I was also having a look at a Contrail Baffin in the stash…]

• Like 2

Just found this Adrian... Sorry to hear about your hospital stay, but thankfully it wasn't too drastic.

I love what you've done with this.  I have a Hasagawa 102 that I've had in the stash since the last century ('96 or '97).  I know I will feel compelled to upgrade it, so I'm taking careful notes! :)

• Thanks 1

Grey is now on, including all remaining doors and covers:

E76-E7179-99-F7-43-D4-A217-7-AC8-D5692-F

I seem to be running out of parts, which is always a good sign!

Revell Hellgrau 76 is a dream to paint. A bit of anti glare black and some hot stainless steel and it will be on to the decals, starting with the ones for the big red fin and the red wingtips 😱

• Like 5

I am just about to start applying the decals, and I’ve belatedly realised that Hasegawa have provided an alternative to using the big red areas. You can paint your own red and apply decals a to e instead of decals 1 and 2:

74-EC3243-2-D18-4-B2-D-8-A35-52-EE83-B25

I didn’t understand the instruction until I dug the decals out of safe storage. Nice to know there’s a backup plan…

• Like 4

Given it’s a hard to paint colour (orange red) and needs masking on curved boundaries against right angles (wing fences and fuselage), I wanted to use the big ones.

Well I’ve applied the big ones, using hot water and Decalsoft. I was delighted with the decals but less delighted with my fumbling! There will be a bit of touch up required but I’m leaving them to set thoroughly before I mess with anything..

• Like 2

I’ve kept off the decals while they are drying but the finishing shop has been in full swing:

0334-AF52-BA36-4-DDD-82-BB-628-C4-FC7-A6

The rockets have been shortened a bit and the separate control surfaces have been sawn out. They look like AIM-4Gs, which I hope were carried by the F-102!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Ooh you tease!

Well here’s a quick flash for you:

6-C6-F3871-60-BC-4-BE7-9-A30-882-FBCC229

We are nearly there yet!

Undercarriage, tailpipe, canopy lining, pitot, hook, and final assembly. I will give it a coat of matt varnish because gloss feels wrong and I don’t do satin. And no weathering!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

That looks really good.

Hope the leg is on the mend, persistent nerve pain can be a real bummer.

I’m a bit like you, much as I love modern aircraft, stick and string will almost always catch my attention first :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1

Really impressive Adrian!
I’m particularly drawn to the engine intake.  We all know your top notch brush painting skills, but even so it looks a like a metal piece you’ve polished up!
Might I ask what magic product you’ve got on the go there!

Eager to see those missiles and girder work in place, fine work there too

Dave

• Thanks 1

On 18/09/2022 at 10:59, modelling minion said:

decals are working well

I read somewhere that Japanese decals work better with hot water, so I tried that and they really do!

On 18/09/2022 at 18:06, Marklo said:

much as I love modern aircraft, stick and string will almost always catch my attention first

I’m normally a WWII guy when it comes to picking the next kit - I just don’t know what’s happened to me over the last couple of years with all the vacs and biplanes! Still, a couple of P-38s in the Lightning GB should put me straight :)

On 18/09/2022 at 19:38, Dave Slowbuild said:

magic product

It’s nothing more exotic than Revell Aqua Silver 36190. I brush it pretty much straight from the pot after a jolly good shake (the pot!). It does not like to be brushed too much so I lay it on with the most even strokes possible and walk away. If it hasn’t worked it’s dry in 20 minutes and easy to scrape off and start again. I’ve done some whole airframes with it and they turned out all right, but rattlecan aluminium is easier.

Now we’re really nearly there:

953361-B1-F36-D-4161-A844-2434-E98-EEECA

073-A3775-52-BF-4-A8-C-A167-2612463-DF9-

There are a few things left to finish, check or re-work, and it’s got to the stage in the evening where the words “just one more thing” are often followed closely by the sound of breaking plastic and anguished wailing, so I’m stopping now…

I hope to be posting in the gallery tomorrow!

• Like 11

Right, finished:

0-E78156-B-CADF-451-A-8346-3-DB6066-E8-C

I’m putting this picture in the gallery for now, but I hope to take some better pictures tomorrow.

I have been really impressed with the kit and the decals and I love the scheme. I’ve left the missile bay as a push fit so that someday I can build a set of closed doors to show the contrast.

I didn’t get to the F-106 this time around, but I will find an excuse to build it at some point.

Thanks @Dansk and @modelling minion for a super group build!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

• AdrianMF changed the title to Adrian’s Hasegawa 1/72 F-102A/F-106A Delta Combo - F-102A finished.