Adrian’s Hasegawa 1/72 F-102A/F-106A Delta Combo - F-102A finished.

What an absolutely fantastic result Adrian, you would never know that this is the decades old Hasegawa kit.

Everything has been done to your usual very standard including your scratchbuilding which always takes older kits up to a much higher level of detail.

I look forward to your F-106 build when you get the opportunity to build it.

Thank you for having taken part in the GB and very well done on producing such an excellent model.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Learstang said:

Beautiful Dart - excellent work! And this was the old Hasegawa kit and not the new Meng jobbie!

Indeed!  :thumbsup:     It just goes to show that skill and motivation can produce an excellent result from even elderly kits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Learstang said:

I saw Adrian turn the Airfix 'Il-2' into a model that actually resembled an Il-2 - magic!

That's not magic.  That's the Dark Arts!   :devil:

He's definitely waving a chicken in the air and sticking a deckchair up his nose.

• Haha 5

34 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

That's not magic.  That's the Dark Arts!   :devil:

He's definitely waving a chicken in the air and sticking a deckchair up his nose.

Enzo, you forgot speaking in Runes at the same time.

• Haha 5

23 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Bravissimo Adrian!

Thanks Loren - I do particularly appreciate the compliment from a man who can rustle up an immaculate 1/48 Superfortress before his second cup of coffee for the day!

22 hours ago, Learstang said:

old Hasegawa kit

Thanks Jason! Not such a bad kit at all!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

21 hours ago, helios16v said:

damn fine photography

You are too kind! All shot on my camera phone (which is actually probably better in some respects than my ten(?) year old digital camera)

15 hours ago, modelling minion said:

decades old Hasegawa kit

It may be an oldie (1969) but it’s a goodie! This moulding dates from 2010 and the parts were very crisp and fitted (mostly) perfectly with a little preparation. The fin with the inset (presumably to avoid shrinkage and dimples) was the only part that needed any significant filler (uh, and underneath the rear fuselage) and the joins in the fuselage sanded down to invisibility. There wasn’t a ton of detailing, but what there was worked well and gave me a great basis for more. Even the missiles worked out well.

And I’m not one for panel lines, so faintly raised detail worked out for me. I couldn’t see a single panel line in the pic of the real thing in the Detail and Scale book either! The decals worked well on a challenging scheme which turned out very attractive.

Undoubtedly there are things like different wheel patterns and through life modifications to consider, but I modified the wing to Case XX standard and left it at that.

My surprise discovery was a pot of Rustoleum “Painters Touch” orange, which I bought in a DIY shop several years ago after being disappointed with Humbrol and Revell orange coverage. It’s opaque, easy to brush and (with a touch of Vallejo scarlet) was a perfect match for touching up the edges of the hi-vis areas. Lifesaver!

I’ve put some more pictures in the gallery to show some of the detailing.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments and support. I would like to point out that no chickens or deckchairs were harmed during the build, nor was there any dancing. And once again, thank you to the hosts for a super GB!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 5

On 9/17/2022 at 6:49 PM, AdrianMF said:

I am just about to start applying the decals, and I’ve belatedly realised that Hasegawa have provided an alternative to using the big red areas. You can paint your own red and apply decals a to e instead of decals 1 and 2:

You wouldn't happen to have those one piece tail decals going spare, now, would you..? 

Cheers,

Andre

On 23/09/2022 at 16:52, Hook said:

You wouldn't happen to have those one piece tail decals going spare, now, would you..? 

I used the big red ones but if you want some spares of the little ones (a-e) I have them kicking around. just let me know...

Regards,

Adrian

30 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I used the big red ones but if you want some spares of the little ones (a-e) I have them kicking around. just let me know...

Regards,

Adrian

PM inbound!

Cheers,

Andre

Beautiful work Adrian!  It really looks great with the bright red-orange on it.  Those missiles are impressive looking coming out of the fuselage.  You may have changed my mind with those, since I was planning on having the missile bay doors closed when I build mine.

2 hours ago, opus999 said:

You may have changed my mind with those

Thanks for the kind words. I do love the scheme, and I’m grateful to Hasegawa that I didn’t have to paint the red bits!

What I really want is a fully closed up F-102 with a little button that, when pushed, springs the doors open and the missiles out!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

What I really want is a fully closed up F-102 with a little button that, when pushed, springs the doors open and the missiles out!

That would be awesome!!!  Talk to @billn53... he's got the bug to wire stuff up recently.... 🤣

• Haha 2